Is there anything in mobo bios that can improve nvme ssd performance?

I have asus gl502vm laptop. Has intel 100 series mobo and i7-6700hq cpu.

1tb 970 evo plus nvme drive installed with latest samsung driver, latest asus bios.

But my benchmark speeds are 15-30% less than advertised compared to reviewer benchmarks.
15% less on sequential large transfers
30% less on 4k transfers.
This was tested when the drive was new, and as a data storage drive.

I don’t know where the bottleneck is.
I looked at the bios options in ami tools, and I don’t see anything that would help performance.

So is it likely that asus just designed a crappy mobo for this laptop which cripples nvme performance?

If you want the best NVMe performance (which you will likely not notice on that Evo+) you should just return to a BIOS/microcode without Meltdown/Spectre mitigations. Another decent way to bench higher is OC-ing the CPU, dunno if it’s possible for the HQ type.

For example, on my 970 Evo+ 500 I got 16.5K in Anvil at stock clocks (8700k, so about 4.3GHz actual frequency) and 18.2K at 5GHz, which is a rather sizable boost. It depends on the bench too, if it uses a single core completely it will benefit from pushing higher clocks.

All in all, not really worth the effort. The Evo+ is fast anyway.

You can see images of my benchmark in the profile history should be in the last 5 posts.

Maybe your being throttled due to temperature issues or other devices on laptop mainboard sharing the same bus. Try placing thermal pads on the drive if it touches the casing of your laptop and then retest. Personally think it’s something else but you never know.

Recently discovered Throttlestop. May help your problem.