Is there something about Ice Lake-U and Tiger Lake-UP3 CPUs that makes BIOS modding impossible?

Specifically, I’ve been looking into modding my laptop’s BIOS to raise the power limit a bit to take advantage of some thermal headroom it has at its 22 watt PL1.

I thought altering the power limit would be easy after finding some solutions that trick the EC by altering the IMON slope, but upon closer inspection I found I couldn’t find a single example anywhere on the internet of someone getting that to work with any one of these CPUs.

To make matters worse, searching through past posts on Win-Raid, I’ve found literally every single post asking questions about modding the BIOS of a laptop with one of these CPUs ends up more or less totally ignored, so it’s been difficult to find any information. Is there something obvious I’m missing here?

I think that noone is interested in helping. Especially if there are very few details given.

Some of those posts were actually very detailed, so the lack of interest combined with the fact that I’ve not found a single success story makes me figure I’ve overlooked something obvious about the CPUs themselves since those are really the only commonality here I can think of.

Why should it be different here on this forum…since in you didn’t found anything relevant to this subject on the web?
As SK exposed… the posts you found on the forum are not ignored, there’s simply no useful/conclusive advances to share…

Anyway…welcome to the forum and enjoy the shared resources.

EDIT: I understand your frustration but surely you must agree, that are many similar issues around the web with no “hacks” yet from modders… or even confirmation of possible or not… all the best, cheers.

EDIT: And another vision of this… many mods cannot be achieved only by bios mods… there’s plenty of situations on HW/Chipset design that would require another approach… as you probably know.

1 Like

Yeah sorry, I didn’t mean to use the word ignored in a negative connotation, was just commenting on the ambiguity the lack of any discussion one way or the other implies.

Yes definitely, technical problems don’t always have an explicit conclusion. I’m not very experienced on this clearly. I don’t know what I don’t know, so to speak. So I thought I’d just ask about it directly in case an obvious answer did exist and I just happened to be looking in the wrong place.