Is updating Intel ME necessary?

Hello Community

i am trying to load a modded bios to a toughbook.
it has a I5 7300U chip and is aptio V.
i can do static mods to bios with no problem but when i mess with the options to enable or disable features something rejects it and won’t boot. I have to revert back to untouched image to be able to boot.
i don’t want to go down pointless rabbit holes so any direct advise would be appreciated.
save the sarcasm, just plain and simple help.
do i need to update the Intel ME firmware and if so, how do i configure it to accept modded images?

I read the following:

i don’t think this is a new issue faced so there has to be a way to make it work.

thanks

It would be helpful, providing info on what kind of features you are messing with and the method used to change this.
The Intel ME FW usually has no part on this, as it uses its own image/region.

i am using BCP and UEFI Editor.
I try simple mods like enabling or disabling visibility for certain panels or info fields but it doesn’t take. I am reading and writing directly to chip via programmer.

AMIBCP, leaked versions around… will not commit changes/breaks in most of modern Aptio V bioses cause the changes have to reflect in other modules, UEFI Editor is the alternative.
Make visibility is one task… changing default values of strings can also breaks the code and not all bioses like it.
Good luck.

changing visibility alone causes it to fail using UEFI Editor and this bios is pretty old.
there’s only one reference to the visibility of the field I want to change and this is just testing.
none of the other guides are relevant because those are different boards.
what do I need to do or use to make it work?

Well, you still can’t point those strings/variables… must be a secret for us for sure.
Seems that we have to beg you to tell us…
And then then is a laptop bios from 2018… not modern but not soo old upon the Aptio V implementation, as told before some changes need to reflect on another modules like AMIsetupdata, AMItse, etc…anyway, post the issue on the relevant UEFI editor thread or if necessary i can move your post there, over_n_out, good luck.

It’s a 2012, FZ-G1, I5 7300U.
Pretty old laptop that I’m using it for work and want to unlock its full potential so I came where the experts are. I’d upload the bios dump but that’s a negative cause it has my serial and such. there’s an update for the bios but I can’t extract the bios bin from the exe.

any suggestions?

A tablet??? [
TOUGHBOOK FZ-G1

What model?

EDIT: Cant you even provide full info…do we have to ask everything… what current bios sir…BIOS_G1_V350L20???

FZ-G1J
Win 10

Try this PANASONIC extractor: platomav/BIOSUtilities: Various BIOS Utilities for Modding/Research (github.com)

Or make an FPT dump with ME FW package 11 tools from ME section of the forum, bios region ONLY is preferable to work with, if it can write again that’s another issue.

Full dump: fptw64.exe -d -spi.bin

Bios region: fptw64.exe -bios -d bios_reg.bin

1 Like

copy :+1: