Is z390 unmoddable for the BG1440-1151 CPUs?

I am trying to find out if z390 is absolutely incompatible with the CoffeeTime mods for support of a 1440 “mutant” cpu, but I cannot find any concise answer or explanation on why?

Can anybody show point me in the right direction or tell me the answer?

due to ME version…

1 Like

This is how it looks without any modding applied yet.

Actually, almost nothing is clickable xD

Not possible on 14nm Intel chipsets.

1 Like

I purchased a used z370 and the last BIOS update shows a very high version number on VBIOS on CoffeeTime 0.99.
The highest version CoffeeTime 0.99 includes is VBIOS 1062, so I was wondering if I should downgrade it or if it is okay to leave this much higher version?

Here is what it can look like with every patch applied for a BGA1440 CPU, except the VBIOS.

And here is what it would look like if I patched everything

Which one should I go with?

@BobbyBadBoy I doubt that ‘5191’ legacy OROM even works - have you tried to use your iGPU with CSM enabled with that BIOS?

I would recommend switching to 1062, although if you disable CSM it won’t be used anyway.

Hello @BobbyBadBoy ,

You should save the MAC from your current BIOS file first. It’s probably on a sticker somewhere, but you might as well read it out before flashing.

1 Like

The motherboard has not arrived in the mail yet. I am trying have all my BIOS files ready so I dont waste any time after I receive it.

So what you are saying is that; “Yes, vBIOS 5191 OROM, is technically a newer release but it is unlikely to work with the mod since it was never included in CoffeeTime”, Is my interpretation correct?

So I am better off just downgrading to the 1062, in your opinion. Okay I will keep that in mind. I have both BIOS files ready to flash. Nothing has been tested yet because I have not received the hardware on the mail yet.

Yes thanks for the reminder. I was fully aware that it is supposed to be done but I was also starting to question whether or not it is actually important because I thought the MAC address is stored within the NIC hardware.
I also might have thought that this MAC-address part of CoffeeTime might be targeted towards ASUS boards that had, from what I gather, only been storing their MAC within the BIOS.

It can’t hurt to do it though so I might as well do it for AsRock too. I don’t have the motherboard yet, hasn’t arrived from the mail so I cant read out the value yet.

it might need pcie patch… some months ago someone with z370 extreme4 have this issue, i found someone who have the modded pcie patch bios in here.

1 Like

@BobbyBadBoy The 5191 OROM is technically for Intel’s ‘extremely-low power’ Amber Lake GT2 iGPUs such as:

Intel UHD Graphics 24EU Mobile
Intel UHD Graphics 615 Mobile
Intel UHD Graphics 617 Mobile

Amber Lake, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake are all Generation 9.5 (whereas Skylake is Generation 9.0) so it might work, although I have doubts.

1 Like

This one is called “Pro4” not “Extreme4” so I hope I don’t need this patch… But I will have to look into it!

Are you bringing this up because it is greyed out?

I just noticed this right now. I suppose it does indeed mean I do need the patch. I thought it just meant I didn’t need it initially.

My BGA1440 CPU is a QTJ0, it has 8c/16t, but this “PCIe 1440” patch says “only required for 6c/12t”. I enabled it anyway.

The AliExpress page said that this CPU can perform similarly to a 9900 CPU, but said nothing about what BIOS voltages to use…

@Koekieezz

I Have run the mod with the vBIOS 5191 and everything worked.

However I plugged in a PCI-E device and the computer will not post anymore. It was spinning the fans up and down but not posting.

I have concluded that it is because I am lacking the PCI-E patch as you had mentioned before.

I was having trouble beating the security question to register for the Russian forum because the translation was interfering. But I was able to create an account.

I noticed that my modded computer was booting fine, but then I inserted the PCI-E device and it would not boot (no PCI-E patch), so then I took out the PCI-E device, but the computer still wont boot!

Now I have a brick again WTF?!? How is it that the mobo stays bricked after unplugging the PCI-E device?
Do I have to ground a pin or something?
Do you know about this problem? It wont even post anymore :frowning:

Could u flash stock bios and see if it works with any gen 8/9 cpus?

I do not have any extra 9th gen cpu, but I do have a 6700K and I had installed the mod to support both the BGA1440 and skylake 6700K so I suppose I could try that one.

I have a feeling this BGA1440 CPU cannot be seated correctly in the socket. It is a very bad system to screw it in without any spring tension.

This is the proof that it was working just a few moments ago

ever since I plugged in this PCI E device it wont post anymore.

Do you know how to add the PCI patch into the bios or did a person in the Russians forum help you with that?
Can you help me or tell me who helped you please? Thanks!

On a side note, do you happen to know how to check if a microcode is newer than another?

I see “BE, EA” but I dont understand which came first or which came later. Do you have any clue?

UPDATE:
After a lot of power cycles and trying to short pins, the Motherboard is working again! It is working with the 6700K in this image.

I might sound like a crazy person but whenever my motherboard stopped POSTing it would POST again after I inserted the RAM in a “wrong socket”. For example instead of A1+B1. I insert it into A1+B2 and then the motherboard would POST again :joy: :thinking:

1 Like

Do you happen to know if the PCIe Patch is for all PCI devices including M.2, or only for PCIe devices in the big 16x slot (for example, a graphics card)?

im not so in depth with coffee time but it seems like it, last time i ecounter this it needs a pcie patch, but it was none so i dont know which is which to be patched.