Latest RST on 6 Series?

Is it possible to use/force install any version (preferably the latest) of Rapid Storage Technology after 12.9.0.1001 on a 6 Series/C200 chipset (Z68 motherboard) in AHCI mode without doing any modding?

If I’m stuck with 12.9.0.1001, could such an old version be problematic now or in the future?

@akumajou :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, the latest Intel RST driver version, which natively fully supports Intel 6-Series Chipsets, is the v12.9.4.1000 WHQL one.

The usage of the Intel RST(e) driver v12.9.4.1000 WHQL is probably the best choice for your system and will it be in the future.
Please keep in mind: The latest drivers are not always the best choice, especially not for “old” hardware.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Yes, the latest Intel RST driver version, which natively fully supports Intel 6-Series Chipsets, is the v12.9.4.1000 WHQL one.

That version isn’t available on intel.com, so I’ll stick with 12.9.0.1001. It’s not possible to force/Have Disk the latest version (14.6.0.1029), though?

If you want to avoid any Intel RST driver, which hasn’t been officially published at their Download Center, you shoiuld stick with this older version.
By the way: The Intel RST(e) drivers v12.9.4.1000 WHQL have been released by Intel as well, belong to the same development branch as the v12.9.0.1001, but have been compiled later. This means, that a lot of bugs had been fixed with this latest drivers of the related development branch.

You can force the installation of any original Intel RST driver, but you have to simulate a wrong (not present) Intel SATA Controller.

If you want to avoid any Intel RST driver, which hasn’t been officially published at their Download Center, you shoiuld stick with this older version.
By the way: The Intel RST(e) drivers v12.9.4.1000 WHQL have been released by Intel as well, belong to the same development branch as the v12.9.0.1001, but have been compiled later. This means, that a lot of bugs had been fixed with this latest drivers of the related development branch.

Thanks for the advice. I was able to find that version on hp.com, and that’s official enough for me.

I noticed that in Which are the “best” Intel AHCI/RAID drivers? , you recommend both version 12.9.4.1000 and 12.8.20.1002. Despite having a lower version number, 12.8.20.1002 is a year newer than 12.9.4.1000. Do you still recommend 12.9.4.1000 over 12.8.20.1002, and is there any particular reason why?

@akumajou :
Although the latest Intel RST(e) driver version of the v12.8 series has been compiled later than the latest one of the v12.9 series, I recommend to take the v12.9.4.1000 WHQL, because the v12.9 series was the successor of the v12.8 series and probably better.
That is why I will remove the Intel RST(e) drivers v12.8.20.1002 from the list of the “best” Intel AHCI/RAID drivers.

Could doing so affect system performance/stability or data integrity?

Could doing so affect system performance/stability or data integrity?

It depends on the related device. I generally do not recommend to force the installation of a natively not matching driver, unless the user is absolutely sure, that it will work.