Lenovo P50 Bricked by BIOS update

@lfb6 - Yes, all done with admin CMD prompt. Apart from the issues with the discrete graphics and external display ports, everything appears to be working fine. I’m already running the latest 1.62 bios.

I didn’t remove the .FL1, as I though that was only in the instructions for running from a USB drive. Just tried again without the .FL1 file, and no difference. Also cleaned up the path name to the files, but again, no change.

Thought I’d try running the same command on the .FL1 file to see what happened, and this got further, although ultimately failed. It did try to flash the EC FW though.

I think I may need to try flashing from DOS, but not sure if the error above indicates a problem with the files.

Thanks,
Ian.

Looks like EC FW is messed up then "Region Not found" refers to region not found in chip or at address etc (not a file not found issue)
Yes, try EC flash as I outlined, but in DOS - Wait, what is above screenshot from, that looks like DOS???

@IanP50 Thanks!

Looks like the systems reboots and uses the flashing in a efi shell?

There might be kinda internal flasher in the bios that programs the EC firmware into this separate chip. I suppose the EC region isn’t accessible via an UEFI flasher since it’s disabled in the flash descriptor, see picture FIT of ‘good’ bios- disabled, size 0.

Edit: I think that these programs aren’t used at all for bios updates. There’s a efi flasher included in the FL1 file.

It triggered a reboot that then ran the update in DOS.

Standard bios update also boots into DOS. It doesn’t really give any details of what it’s updating. This is a screen shot from when it originally bricked. It looks to use the same SCT Flash Utility as the EC update I posted earlier.

Is it still worth trying to flash from DOS manually using a USB drive?

Thanks,
Ian.

@IanP50 Thanks for the picture. Possibly Efi shell, the flasher in last efi volume in bios has text that would fit, the BootX64.efi has a flasher included, too.

But: What do you see after a reboot, when you did flash the bios? Is there just the flash you showed and one reboot, or is there another reboot and another flashing session for transfering EC firmware to the separate chip?

I’m pretty sure it’s just a single reboot. I don’t recall it rebooting twice and doing a separate EC FW flash.

Thanks,
Ian.

@lfb6 - Just tried to update the EC FW from DOS, but got the following error.

This one’s really fighting now…

Thanks,
Ian.

@IanP50 That wont work, you can’t start an efi programm in DOS

But be careful, I’d suggest not to use the DOS tools ("dosflash.exe") yet. The notebook described in the article has another file structure. Tha bios is quite similar with flasher at the end, but the EC firmware is no longer the little EC firmware we see for your model, but a 12 MB file, described as ‘parts of an old bios’ combined with a little piece of EC firmware’.

Maybe the flash commands require the fl1/fl2 files put together to a ‘real’ bios region?

(Efi shell: Format an USB stick in Fat32, create a folder efi, in this folder create a folder boot, into this folder you copy bootx64.efi [see zip], that’s it… Boot, check for usb stick volume, f.ex. fs0 -> "fs0:" "enter" and you’re in something that looks similar to a dos shell.)

Wait a minute- you tricked the machine into a reboot, didn’t you? That picture is after a reboot, when trying to flash? So maybe if a composed file would’ve contained both bios and EC-firmware…

Boot.zip (406 KB)

I mentioned all that previously, when doing the EC FW flash, it will copy stuff to BIOS or NVRAM, reboot and then stuff actually happens and then on next reboot the changed EC FW is shown within BIOS.
This is all described in the guide I initially linked - http://zmatt.net/unlocking-my-lenovo-laptop-part-3/

@IanP50 - Your error/image at post #127, that is not DOS?? And “Shell.EFI” is being used, so UEFI/Shell not DOS there also. Be sure you have BIOS in Legacy mode
You can see the EC FW version on BIOS main page, correct? If you flash back down to 1.59, using stock exe, does that change? If yes, then how about when flashing back up to 1.62?
Never mind, just as lfb6 mentioned, all are same/same, at least for 42 and 44 BIOS exe package. I assume when he mentioned that, maybe they had same version/name, but would be diff in some way, but I compared and exact hex match.

Do you have any older BIOS update exe’s that are not hosted at Lenovo site anymore, so we could check their EC FW version, and maybe try to downgrade to the old BIOS and old EC FW, to see if it changes the EC FW as shown in BIOS or not, then go back to new, to see if it fixes things.
Ohh! I see at their site, try this >> 1.52 (N1EET79W) - 1.17 (N1EHT37W) << Flash down to that if it will let you, and see if EC FW changes in BIOS Main page after BIOS flash/ec update.
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1euj35w.exe

@lfb6 - IF DOS flasher is included in the stock package for this system then it should be fine (never mind, I looked, it’s not). Either way though, DOS or Shell, outcome should be same/same, so if it’s a fail then it’s a fail
Probably as I mentioned, EC FW is corrupted, thus flasher can’t find it now, which would also be the reason it’s not fixed with BIOS update or downgrade.

No, no compilation is done for this, it’s done automatically during normal BIOS update with the file as-is, so we should leave them that way

@IanP50 There might be a switch in bios enabling rollback- but Lenovo bios simulator uses quite old versions…

biossim.jpg

@Lost_N_BIOS - This was before I downgraded the bios. Currently running 1.62.

Before downgrade.jpg

This is after the downgrade.

BIOS Flash7.jpg

This was just using the standard Lenovo installer. It rebooted to install the bios, and after that was done, it rebooted again to flash the EC FW. Although the bios now shows the EC FW version has changed, I’m not confident that it has been flashed. When it booted the second time to flash the EC FW, I got the Lenovo boot splash screen, and very briefly saw a message below the splash logo that said it was going to update the EC FW. It flashed up so quickly that I didn’t get a chance to take a picture, but if it was there for more than a couple of seconds, I’d be surprised. After this, the system appeared to almost power off, and immediately rebooted and started Windows. It all just seemed too quick. I certainly didn’t get anything like the screen shot on #121.

I’ll update back to 1.62 this evening, and see if I can video the process.

@lfb6 - Thanks. I checked that setting, and it was already set to allow rollback.

Thanks,
Ian.

@IanP50 , @Lost_N_BIOS

1good.jpg

That was very first boot after brick with the foreign ‘good’ bios dump. This dump is 1.49 and has EC firmware 1.17. Bios is still showing the ‘true’ version of the firmware in the separate chip which is still updated (1.18). So if it displays now a lower version I’d like to accept that the EC firmware really got downgraded since the version displayed has nothing to do with what’s in the padding in the bios chip

BTW: Did you check external monitors after ME firmware update? Seems there was some trouble at least with other 6th gen Lenovo laptops?
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-…ate/m-p/4535575
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-…/4091511?page=3

EDIT2 The 1 MB chip dumped in #99 (W25Q80BLNIG_dump.rar) has the Thunderbolt firmware in his first part

@lfb6 - It certainly appears to have updated the EC FW, but it just seemed to happen too quickly.

Yes, I’ve tried the external monitors, but still nothing. Still have the Nvidia GPU error in device manager.

I think we’ve probably taken this one as far as we can. I’ve still got a pretty decent laptop for everyday use, which is considerably more than I had when it was bricked.

I am still going to have to buy a replacement though, as I need the discrete graphics to run CAD software. I actually discussed it with my boss today, and he’s agreed to cover half the cost of the new laptop, as I use it at work quite a lot. That takes some of the sting out of it, and I get a shiny new system.

Thanks again to both of you for all your hard work.
Ian.

@IanP50 Thanks for the answer. Time for update- EC firmware is 281 kB, that’s less than the 20th part of a bios region update. If bios update would take about 2 minutes, EC firmware update would be about 5 seconds…

There are only few things left, most important would be the Thunderbolt firmware- it is actually related to powering external monitors. Despite of the possiblity of being corrupted during the brick you’re still on an old version. Another thing would be the question if you did use the original Lenovo graphics package? There might be differences to native manufacturers drivers.

Anyway- I can understand your decision, especially after having found a good solution with your employer for a replacement.

If you’d decided to continue I had recommend the following last step just to be sure that there’s no corruption in the Thunderbolt system:

1. Update for Power Management Driver:
- Lenovo Power Management Driver (64-bit) 1.67.16.42, 16 Dec 2019
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n2hku07w_x64.exe
(Thunderbolt firmware requires Power Management driver is updated to v1.67.12.19, so it’d recommended to update to latest version)

2. Update for Thunderbolt firmware:
- Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Firmware 25, 09 May 2017
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1etf08w.exe

3. Update for Thunderbolt software:
- Intel Thunderbolt software 17.3.74.400, 03 Mar 2020
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1ete11w.exe

4. Reinstall original Lenovo graphics driver, if that’s not the already installed package:
- ThinkPad Video Features (NVIDIA N16S / Quadro N16P)26.21.14.433205 Oct 2020
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1edl40w.exe

@lfb6 - Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been setting up my new laptop

Just ran through all the updates you posted, and still no change. Still got the error (Code 43) on the Nvidia driver, and still nothing when I connect an external monitor.

I’ve been a long term fan of IBM/Lenovo Thkinpads, but they just seem a little fragile in the software department now. There’s so many reports of people with brand new machines getting bricked by a simple bios change. I’ve gone for an HP Zbook Studio G7 this time. Hopefully this will be more reliable.

Thanks,
Ian.

@IanP50 No worries- and thanks for trying. I’m anyway out of ideas now and wasn’t too optimistic about these last things, too.

But there’s quite a lot of reports for Lenovo machines with graphics bricked, or even whole machine bricked- all with Lenovo having no other solution than exchanging mainboard. That’s a little weak. But on the other hand- we don’t get reports of all the machines that work flawlessly?

Looked into the specs for the HP Zbook Studio G7, looks pretty fine! Hope it will work a little longer than the P50- Good luck!

Unfotunately the @IanP50 case is similary my case too about error code 43. But, it is on intel hd graphics 630.

My opinion about the nvidia graphics eror code 43, you can try to flashing vbios on techpowerup site which flashed the subsystem pcie on your nvidia cards.
I know one user succesfully solved the error 43 code on nvidia. But mostly cannot be recovered or fixed due to error code 43 is much problems not the one case.

@lfb6 maybe you can give solution how to revert back my discrete graphics option on uefi bios to be Hybrid graphics becoz of internal graphics screen does not showed! But, using miscrosoft display adapter the hdmi and monitor just fine.

Let me know if you can help me how to analyze about Hybrid settings mod in bios ?

I have frustrated about upgrade/downgrade my bios version and intel hd graphics from old to newer and all OS windows 19 rs1 to 20H2 can’t fixed my Hybrid settings always black screen after installing internal graphics.

I do the BIos mod unlocked about primary graphics settings internal enabled and the result just beep around 3 times on boot windows.

@setya87 I don’t see any similarity in these cases and there is no meaning in hijacking several other threads.

@lfb6 im sorry to disturb the post.
But, for error code 43 this guy has solved it on nvidia gpu.
Here’s the link : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHHqpCY9tFw

I cant find my solution about intel hd graphics the error code 43 is same.
Is strange if my laptop live and working fine use hdmi output on microsoft basic display adapter.
While installing driver, i cannot see anything on lcd.
Im interesting about how to change device id on my gpu in gpu z detect cards nvidia, but if i save my nvidia bios file he says cant read the bios file.
I hope can checks my bios dump is ok or maybe littel corrupted…:persevere:

anyone ever seen a strange old one mid 2015 i think its Beta P50 BP500 NM-A451 REV 0.3 board ?
BP50-0NPI00 S/N PF-0AF2U8 15/06

i got it to work somewhat… but usb is acting up.
the bios is like pre release or some hackjob china ali sale.
these are the oldest P50 listed in Lenovo txt of bios
1.06 (N1EUJ01W) 1.06 (N1EET32W) 1.04 (N1EHT24W) For factory use

i seem to have
0.14F (N1???W) 1.06 (N1EET15W) 1.18 (N1EHT38W) For Some beta i guess
ME i believe is N1DRM06Wÿ11.0.0.1144 and intel FIT did not like it… replaced it w 11.0.16.1000 and working w no fan error.
if i try to rebuild even w the oldest bios avail i get Fan error and shuts off.
1.10 (N1EUJ03W) 1.10 (N1EET36W) 1.08 (N1EHT28W) 01 2015/12/04

any ideas ?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/35lujrnbw…-WORKS.bin/file