Lenovo Yoga 500-14ISK problems after ME firmware update

Hello! :slight_smile:

Please help me! I have a Lenovo Yoga 500-14ISK 80R5002UHV laptop. It worked perfectly until I updated the BIOS and Intel Management Engine Firmware. I selected the update files based on the serial number on the Lenovo Support site. Bios file name: d3cn39ww.exe, Intel ME: d3me01ww.exe (11.8).

Symptom after updates:
1. Extremely slow power on. After pressing the power button, approx. It takes 30 seconds for the display backlight to turn on and another 15 seconds when the bios logo appears. From this point on, the laptop works perfectly.
2. When I shut down the laptop in windows, the shutdown process starts normally, but after the blue windows logout screen disappears, it shuts down the hard drive and turns off the screen backlight, but the power led stays on indefinitely, so the machine does not turn off in fact. It only switches off by pressing the power button for a long time.

I haven’t found the Intel MEI in Device Manager since the update, and I’m seeing a new device called Trusted Platform Module 2.0. I don’t understand the latter as this laptop does not officially support TPM 2.0

I tried to check the Intel MEI version on my machine with MEINfo 11.8.92.41.89 but got Error 86 and Error 81 error messages. I checked the bios file with ME Analyzer (d3cn39ww.cap): CSE ME 11.8.50.3399, Extracted, Consumer LP, SPT/KBP-LP C, Configured, Flash Image Tool: 11.8.50.3460. Based on these, I retrieved the Intel MEI bin file for my BIOS from the CSME 11.8 Repository: 11.8.50.3420_CON_LP_C_NPDM_PRD_EXTR.bin. I tried to update the Intel MEI with the FPTW64 programming tool in CSME System Tools v11, but unfortunately the update does not start with error code 451.

I tried to run the d3cn39ww.exe factory Bios update again, it ran successfully, but unfortunately the error persists.

Please help rescue my laptop! :slight_smile: Many thanks!!!

@urke1111

Is the motherboard original from the laptop? Is the SN from the chassis or the motherboard?

What did you updated first, the ME or the BIOS, no need to lie here about it, whats done is done…

You may try this: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Lapt…USB/m-p/5026109
Dont know if its valid for your model but you can also search for other Lenovo bios recovery methods around the web.

You now may need to clean the ME FW image on the SPI: [Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization
but Intel ME11 tools wont work without active ME in OS environment, so DOS tools can be an option: [TOOL] H20EZE - Insyde "Easy BIOS Editor"

Final option, SPI programmer.

EDIT: The machine post cant initialize the FW image engine from the SPI… its broken.

Hi MeatWar, thanks for your response. Yes, the mainboard is original, I also checked the SN in Aida64. I updated the BIOS first. Thank you, I will try the method described on the Lenovo forum first. Thanks!

If I turn on the "show hidden devices" in device manager the Intel MEI appears with Code 45 error: " Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer"