M.2 nVME SSD for Asus P5Q Deluxe (p45 chipset) as a storage device?

Hi,

I looked around this forum and could find information only about adding nVME SSD as a bootable device for P5Q, and that seemed complicated.

I would like to add a nVME SSD (Micron 7300 PRO) to the P5Q Deluxe as a storage device and boot Windows from existing old HDD, if that would be any easier since it is ok for my purpose. I am not sure if this is possible at all though, the mobo is very old. I use the Micron in a other machine currently but would like to transfer it to an old P5Q for some specific reasons.

I tried simply downloading latest BIOS from asus and flashing the bios. Booted up normally to windows after that. I then shut down and added the Micron with a PCIe M.2 adapter to a black PCIe slot on the P5Q, having a video card (9600 GT) on the blue slot. I then started the machine, it started but no signal ever came from the video card to show anything on the screen. I then got scared if I had bricked the Micron, but removing it and installing to the original P67 mobo showed that it was intact, and also the P5Q booted just fine after removing the nVME.

I would be very pleased if anyone could help with this.

Ur bios structure is too old for the “regular NVMe mod” that Fernando offers here to more recent bios UEFI based. [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

U got 3 options…maybe: Try this one [Experimental] NVMe Option ROM

or without any bios mod related:
[Guide] NVMe-boot for systems with legacy BIOS and UEFI board (DUET-REFIND)
[Guide] NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI bootloader method)

Note: From Win7 fully updated to Win 10, a regular M.2 PCIe NVMe adaptor / NVMe disk combo, should let the machine perform a normal boot
and a “standard” storage disk is always visible in windows disk/device management.
So there is a HW conflict/compatibility issue between the added devices/motherboard or slot used, that u should investigate, u can any of the 2 black x16 slots.
Some bios settings needs adjustments regarding the use of several connected devices and disable/enable functions due to PCIe/SATA resource allocation in the OEM designed bios settings.