Manually reserving and assigning HW resources in Windows?

Hi!

I’m in the quest of saving a piece of HW that’s a jewel in PC music production and that many love and use nearly 20 years after its launch despite Creative absorbing E-MU for its intellectual property and then dismissing support: E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide - Computer Setup and System Configuration Forum - KVR Audio

Long story short : everything has always worked fine under Linux but in Windows I face a multitude of HW resources assignment issues (ending up in blue screens).

Some data about the actual situation. The only way I am able to still use the soundcard on my Lenovo P16 is to:

• Boot up the machine with no external devices connected
  • Connect the Akitio Node Duo containing the E-MU sound card on the 2nd thunderbolt port of the laptop and an aver media HDMI capture card
  • Wait for drivers to be loaded
  • Connect the thunderbolt docking station

If I connect the node due before powering up or after connecting the dock I get a BSOD for IRQ not less or equal bla bla

On an older machine (Lenovo P72), I can leave everything connected at boot as long as I keep the Akitio node on the first thunderbolt bolt which was a bit annoying because lenovo’s dock uses a combo cable/connector that connects both power supply and thunderbolt using the first TB port (so I can’t use it).

Do notice that to be precise the Akitio Node contains a PCIe->expresscard adapter->express card to PCMCIA/Cardbus->E-MU cardbus card

I also have a PCIe version of the same card (instead of cardbus) but unable to use it as Windows is unable to assign resources to the PCIe->PCI bridge it contains.

In “old” machines I had similar issues with the PCIe card that could be fixed by changing slot or change IRQ (when bios allwoed it).

Again : everything works in linux so I guess the problem is how Windows assigns resources to HW.

I’ve ran a huge number of tests that I spare you (unless requested) to avoid misleading you :)

Perhaps quite naif but I think that fixing the problem without updated/modded windows drivers (whether for the PCIe->PCI bridge to work or for windows not to crash when everything’s connected) is out of range so my first approach, and hence my question, is : is there any way to :

1. Get a snapshot of the resources assigned to the card when it works (power up, wait to boot, connect TB-PCIe enclosure, wait for soundcard+aver’s drivers to load, connect docking)?
  2. Force windows to reserve them?
  3. Have windows assign same resources to the card when everything (external PCI enclosure+docking) is connected? Or perhaps pre-assigning before OS boots using UEFI ?

I tried with no successful outcome to switch anything else to MSI:

I know this won’t be an easy and will probably require a lot of work (if even possible) so thank you in advance and let me know if there any test I can run to provide further information that may help in troubleshooting.

PS: What leaves me with some hope is that no matter the config (including using the PCIe card instead of PCIe->ExpressCard->PCMCIA/CardBus->SoundCard), Linux is able to seamlessly assign appropriate resource and have everything work.

Thx again!