ME Analyzer: Intel Engine Firmware Analysis Tool Discussion

@ SoniX:

I was referring/answering to a problem mentioned by ex58 (Statio) at post #38.

I don’t see how MEA would cause issues in not showing certain uCode details. Am I wrong?

@ plutomaniac
I already do not understand anything. :))

@ SoniX:

Statio said: UBU + MEA v1.2.5 (old version, before I added support for it) showed some extra info at the Microcode while running your tool. At UBU + MEA v1.2.8 these are not shown anymore (uCode date for example). So, Statio asked whether that was caused by the new version of MEA or not.

I said: I don’t think so, this must be a choice made by SoniX and not related to MEA.

So that’s why I ask you (UBU developer) whether the uCode date was removed on purpose or whether MEA somehow causes a bug.

Did I explain it better now?

That is, with the "-ubu" is not complete information, and without the key "-ubu" full?

It’s normal, that’s what we talked about while I was building the -ubu command. Basically I proposed to show only some stuff with -ubu command, what’s relevant to UBU. That is Firmware Type (ME,TXE,SPS), Version, SKU, Updated Status and any note or warning. In case of any error, it will report just the messages (errors, warnings & notes).

For example, an image which has a ME firmware without any errors but with a note will appear like this:

An image which has errors will appear like this:

The -ubu command makes the MEA output more relevant to UBU by removing stuff most people don’t need like VCN, Date etc.

But if, after the first scanning screen, UBU does not show uCode dates, it’s not something that MEA caused. That’s what I was trying to say.

To be more clear guys,
same BIOS with different UBU :

UBU 1.29 Beta 1:

UBU 1.31.1:

So,
with older UBU (and MEA) I getting more info about Intel firmware.
Hope is help.
Thanks.

Edit:
I really prefer to have more info as date,VCN,SPI…etc.

Edit 1:
I replaced MEA folder in latest UBU from 1.29 Beta 1 and got full info about firmware.

@ plutomaniac
I thought and decided. Do it in the next version of the MEA as it was before, without any -options for UBU. Let them see the full information. :slight_smile:

Simple, don’t run it with -ubu command. MEA.exe will do what you want. I will not remove -ubu command because Lordkag started using it now, I might rename it. Either way, MEA with no parameters is what you seek.

Also guys, ME is not “Microcode”. That’s why I was so confused earlier. I thought you meant that due to MEA, UBU could not show CPU uCode to it’s users. To avoid confusion, calling it “ME Firmware” or “Engine Firmware” would be better.

Ahhh … Need to display the CPU microcode, it is?
This is caused by command "MMTool bios bin /p" and the it has nothing to do with the MEA.
As plutomaniac said, the MEA only displays information about the firmware MEI and nothing more. For displaying CPU microcode more here we do not discuss.

Added:
There is a proposal. We probably confusion in words.
All as MEI write Firmware or FW. This is what is in the BIOS (SPI Image).
Driver MEI - write for Operation System (OS).
Microcode or uCode - write only for CPU

Yea,I mean firmware.
Sorry for confusion.

Update 17/08/2015:

Engine Firmware Repository Database r23

Added ME 9.1.32.1002_1.5MB_PRD_EXTR
Added TXE 2.0.0.2073_1.375MB_PRD_RGN
Removed TXE 2.0.0.2073_1.375MB_PRD_EXTR
Added TXE 2.0.0.2073_1.375MB_PRE_RGN
Added TXE 1.1.2.1133_1.375MB_PRD_RGN

Note 1: MEA v1.2.8 and up versions require the database to be named MEA_DB.txt. This is relevant for UBU for now since the latest official release is v1.2.5 and that still requires the old naming scheme of ME_Analyzer_DB.txt.

Note 2: MEA v1.2.8 Beta 3 (which is used by the latest versions of UBU) can also be found here. For most people though, v1.2.5 will do for now.

With UBU 1.32…works fine,thanks guys…

removed the option "-ubu".

@ SoniX:

When the next MEA version is out you will need -ubu again. I made a lot of changes based on your wishes (ex58 as well).

This is the only command you will need to add at UBU.bat :

This is how it will look like while running UBU :

Ok. Thanks You. :slight_smile:

Added:
I forgot to ask. And when the next release? :slight_smile:

With UBU 1.32.1 again same short description of ME fw.
Replaced UBU.bat from ver. 1.32 and works OK.

MEA.exe ..\bios.bin -ubu

in UBU v1.32.1

MEA.exe ..\bios.bin

in UBU v1.32

It is difficult to remove a key "-ubu"? ;)

Is this question directed to me?

It’s rather simple:

Until I give SoniX the new version of MEA (not ready yet), the command has to be MEA.exe …\bios.bin without -ubu. So for now, remove the -ubu parameter.

When MEA 1.2.9 or 1.3.0 is out, then the command will be MEA\MEA.exe bios.bin -ubu -adir. But not yet!

The -ubu parameter is needed to hide the file name (it’s always bios.bin, why show it?) and adjust the empty lines so that it looks proper. Also, some messages are different to not "confuse" UBU users. For example there is no red error when a ME firmware is not found (amd, bios region only) etc…

The MEA version that UBU has been using these days is 1.2.8. Version 1.2.8 used to hide some stuff with -ubu command. However, at version 1.2.9 the -ubu command was changed and now it displays everything with some message adjustments etc as I said earlier.

To summarize:

Now (UBU + MEA 1.2.8 –> NOW):

After (UBU + MEA 1.2.9/1.3.x –> NOT YET):

Did I explain it properly now?

@ plutomaniac
My response was for ex58.
What had only edit one line to see the full or short information.

@ SoniX:

Ah, thought so, ok. I’ll let you guys know when you can change it to the new command.