I have a laptop here with ME 11.8 Corporate LP:
- In day to day use no symptoms of ME corruption
- MEInfo works, but -verbose shows “ME file system corrupted”
- MEManuf fails, -verbose shows only thing that fails is again “ME file system corrupted”
- MEBx (Ctrl-P) seems to work, I used it to do full unprovision from previous owner.
What I have done already:
- Have an external flasher that works, used previously for some BIOS work. ME region was never touched in this process.
- fptw -greset doesn’t work and I don’t want to mess with the descriptor.
- Created cleaned SPI from full dump with FIT using guide
The question I have now is should I flash a cleaned ME since I don’t notice anything in normal use?
If I go ahead, instead of fptw -greset as last step, I should be able to remove power and achieve the same, right? Should I remove RTC batt too?
Looking forward to your insights and advice!
If you have a programmer and can verify it works, you have nothing to lose, only to gain. You need to dump the chip, follow [Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization and flash back the output. Only the CSME region will be refreshed that way. You can perform a greset manually by removing all power (AC, not RTC) for a few minutes.