MOD BIOS ASUS G771JW

i tested mine r/w 1600/1100

1 more little thing, install it=)

@Toorist

You did it?

no

@Lost_N_BIOS

ok. I have copies of the bios from Afuwin. I do not know if I’m going to do something with AMIBCP.exe after playing the Biosu as in the instructions …?
  I do not understand point 6 from which I should start, from where I should take boot64.efi on Shell.efi ??? It sounds very complicated for me, so please excuse me for asking. I am using a computer that I want to change every day for professional work and I can not brick it up .-( Can this tutorial be used to boot from an NvMe drive?

Main BIOS, Boot Block, NVRAM, Non-Critical/RomHoles = /P /B /N /K << I think that was your original intent. All depends on what you modified in the BIOS, if you only changed settings or the NVME Mod, then Main BIOS and NVRAM is plenty

Restart is up to you, but yes you need to restart after flashing anyway, and enter the BIOS to load optimal defaults, and then set any/all other items you need to change per your setup.

The mandatory field is used to select an operation mode.
- /O Save current ROM image to file
- /U Display ROM File’s ROMID
- /S Refer to Options: /S
- /D Verification test of given ROM File without flashing BIOS.
- /OAD Refer to Options: /OAD
- /A Refer to Options: /A
- /CLNEVNLOG Refer to Options: /CLNEVNLOG

Commands
The mandatory field is used to select an operation mode.
- /O Save current ROM image to file
- /U Display ROM File’s ROMID
- /S Refer to Options: /S
- /D Verification test of given ROM File without flashing BIOS.
- /OAD Refer to Options: /OAD
- /A Refer to Options: /A
- /CLNEVNLOG Refer to Options: /CLNEVNLOG

Options
The optional field used to supply more information for flashing BIOS ROM. Following lists the supported optional parameters and format:
- /Q Silent execution
- /X Don’t Check ROM ID
- /CAF Compare ROM file’s data with Systems is different or
not, if not then cancel related update.
- /S Display current system’s ROMID
- /HOLEOUT: Save specific ROM Hole according to RomHole GUID.
NewRomHole1.BIN /HOLEOUT:GUID
- /SP Preserve Setup setting.
- /Rn Preserve SMBIOS type N during programming(n=0-255)
- /R Preserve ALL SMBIOS structure during programming
- /B Program Boot Block
- /P Program Main BIOS
- /K Program all non-critical blocks and ROM Holes.
- /N Program NVRAM
- /Kn Program n’th non-critical block or ROM Hole only(n=0-15).
- /HOLE: Update specific ROM Hole according to RomHole GUID.
NewRomHole1.BIN /HOLE:GUID
- /L Program all ROM Holes.
- /Ln Program n’th ROM Hole only(n=0-15).
- /E Securely Flash Embedded EC at Runtime
(If system supports. Can be overriden by other options)
- /OAD Delete Oem Activation key
- /A Oem Activation file
- /E Program Embedded Controller Block
- /ECUF Update EC BIOS when newer version is detected.
- /ME Program ME Entire Firmware Block.
- /MEUF Program ME Ignition Firmware Block.
- /CLNEVNLOG Clear Event Log.
- /CAPSULE Override Secure Flash policy to Capsule
- /RECOVERY Override Secure Flash policy to Recovery
- /EC Program Embedded Controller Block. (Flash Type)
- /REBOOT Reboot after programming.
- /SHUTDOWN Shutdown after programming.

Rules
- Any parameter encolsed by < > is a mandatory field.
- Any parameter enclosed by [ ] is an optional field.
- <Commands> cannot co-exist with any [Options].
- Main BIOS image is default flashing area if no any option present.
- [/REBOOT], [/X], and [/S] will enable [/P] function automatically.
- If [/B] present alone, there is only the Boot Block area to be updated.
- If [/N] present alone, there is only the NVRAM area to be updated.
- If [/E] present alone, there is only the Embedded Controller block to be updated.

@Lost_N_BIOS

Happy New Year!!!
Thanks for the answer, but forgive me - I still do not know what’s going on. I want it to work my NvMe drive. I wrote down Bios using Afuwin. I have this file from you. I have to start with point 6 in which we talk about changing boot64.efi to Shell.efi. I do not know where to do it. I do not know if I have to add the “NvmExpressDxe_4” drivers or whatever to the BIOS. I do not know what to do with the file from you ;-( I am very sorry, but I am a layman.

Is it possible to flash .CAP BIOS by .ROM BIOS you attached? or i must use .CAP file only as original BIOS file?

@Toorist - I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but cap BIOS is not same as rom BIOS, and you cannot use encapsulated BIOS with FPT (Only rom/bin), but you can use either cap/rom/bin with AFU Tools.
Capsule file will be 800h or 2KB larger than bin.rom file, no matter what it’s extension is, please take note of that when/if using Intel FPT, since you cannot use encapsulated BIOS file with FPT. Or you can also drop in UEFITool, if you see capsule at the top in middle area, that’s a .cap BIOS.

@kosi sorry for not explaining better, I assumed you would read the guide, yes this is a little bit involved. The xxxx.EFI file I mentioned is attached to the guide, download the files, and then you will find this .efi file.
Rename that per the link I gave you in this thread, and see that post for the images showing how you should copy it in several places on the USB to match the images layout

I have already done the NVME BIOS mod for you, so you do not have to do anything with NvmExpressDxe_4 file, I did that part, all you have to do is flash the BIOS
Also, Toorist posted what version of AFU works, you can use that one to flash instead of all this stuff I tried to show you for using Intel FPT

@Lost_N_BIOS

Thanks.
I made copies of the BIOS from AFU. I changed the name of the .efi file. and threw it in the USB root directory. On the desktop for one directory with a file that you modified for me, I gave FPTW. I have unlocked the BIOS (security). I read the guide and I do not know what to do with a copy of the BIOS extracted from AFU. I do not know what to do with this modified, combine together or what? Does USB have to be a boot using Rufus for example? I’m sorry again, but I think my problems come from not knowing English and that I need to translate using Google translator ;-(

@kosi Once you have unlocked the BIOS/SMI lock in grub with setup_var, create a backup with FPT as described in the guide and or post #2 >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Modify biosreg.bin with your same modifications you made before, then flash that (modified) BIOS back by using FPT >> FPTw.exe -bios -f modbiosreg.bin

Nothing uses AFU here, nor any backups from AFU etc. USB boot is fresh formatted FAT32 drive, do not make bootable with anything, only put the several (x4) copies of the efi file on there, then additional copies (x4) in the second folder as shown in the linked images for the other post (not my guide, but the other post I linked for you)
Sounds like you have not booted to grub and unlocked BIOS lock/SMI Lock via Setup_var yet, so you cannot flash anything with FPT until that is done.

It’s OK, just forget AFU, read what I said in post #2 (below the AFU stuff, I only mentioned that in general so you’d know how to use AFU).

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph…&highlight=g771 - this instruction works.

Again, AFU is not used for this process, at all. Nor is Rufus, or bootable USB etc. I don’t think translation is the issue, you’re doing things I am not mentioning at all, and things I am saying do not use or do.

Did you do the grub steps yet?

Setup_var 0xAE 0x0
Setup_var 0xAF 0x0

If yes, show me screenshot image of that, use camera. That is done on FAT32 format USB stick, not made bootable, not made with Rufus, nothing, only format FAT32 via windows right click and put Shellx64.efi file on there, then go to exit page of BIOS and choose "Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device"

That has to be done first, then you can use FPT to reflash BIOS.
After that is done, use FPT to create backup of BIOS region >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin
Then modify that file again with whatever modifications you want.
Then flash back that file using FPTw.exe -bios -f modbiosreg.bin

OR - other method, not applied to anything above

If you want to use AFU, you can use the version @Toorist mentioned (afuwin64 5.05.04), to flash the modified BIOS I sent you here
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…818027226153645

Guide he linked above too.

You may have already got this figured out, sorry if so, I couldn’t tell by your PM

Hello 2 all!

Dear @Lost_N_BIOS ,
I want ask you for help.

I were have Asus G771JW with default bios. I am upgraded it with official cap files from support Asus page up to last version 211.

After that I were found out some info on supporting NVMe on my laptop as bootable. It were necessary flash the modded bios (on the most popularly source on G771JW in Russian 4pda it is modded version KOSIMOD; as I understood it is mod from this theme). It is working perfectly, all are bootable from NVMe, any OS’s.

But I has got such trouble. My laptop was stack on the boot with ASUS ROG logo of the bios. No reaction, no opportunity enter to the bios settings or select the boot source.

For the great luck I am reflashed the bios by CH341A with a some full dump of the bios. Previosly I am saved my own dump of the bios.

Now I want check my dump of the bios, correct the error and flash my edited dump of the bios.

How I can do it? Any advise, please.

P. S.

Sorry, English it is not my native language.

official_cap_upd.zip (2.27 MB)

some_working_dump.zip (3.39 MB)

my_dump_with_trouble.zip (3.41 MB)

another_woking_dump.zip (3.39 MB)

No Lost_N_Bios around anymore… care to, at least check dates or last time a user was online?
If ur using bios mod files from another source, go to the source/modder and ask information related to the file.
If u want to do the NVMe mod urself, use a clean FULL SPI bios dump, edit and flash it: [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@MeatWar Sorry, my bad, but when I try view Lost_N_Bios’s profile I’ve got ‘You are not allowed to view member profiles in this forum’.

My problem another. I am have dump of my bios with NVMe support but (!) after trouble with stuck on the bios logo.
How I can repair my own bios with tools?

As I understood maybe I must only clean/destroy the system cmos.

Is there any tool for edit the dump (for example, clean system cmos) and flash it fully to bios?

AMI soft for my chip allow flash only main bios sector. As I understood, I have something bug in another section, not main bios.

Hello. Did you manage to fix your problem?