Modded Intel AHCI and RAID Drivers (digitally signed)

Hi Fernando, I am so sorry for being a noob and for my absolutely clueless questions. I’m trying to learn but there is a deluge of information and I’ve been out of the game for quite a while now.

Recently, I’ve put together a rig for myself, here are the specs:

CPU: i5 3570K
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Ram: 2 x 8GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

That’s about it save for the case, psu, and fans, which are inconsequential to what I’d like to ask you about, that being "What exactly am I supposed to install to run my system optimally?"

I followed this guide regarding what I’m supposed to do prior to overclocking, and started off with the Intel Chipset Drivers. Following that, I promptly got stuck as the Intel RST Driver, despite saying it supports my chipset:

refused to install on Windows 10 x64, telling me that “This platform is not supported”. I was flabbergasted and Googled for answers. Eventually a forummer in my local hardware forum was kind enough to inform me that the only way to get that installed on my setup is by using Fernando’s Win-RAID driver. But because he said this:

I ended up scratching my head at that, and started Googling what TRIM is about. From what I’ve gathered thus far, it is something to do with garbage collection with respect to SSDs, to prevent deterioration after deletes and formats. So now my question is, since I’m using an SSD, is this something I have to prioritize? Also, as I started going down this rabbit hole, I read that even if I weren’t running RAID, I should set my SATA controller in BIOS to RAID mode instead of AHCI, since RAID mode is already in AHCI but also provides me the option of going RAID later on if I so choose to, rather than having to reinstall Windows when that time comes. While I don’t see myself getting another Samsung 850 EVO 500GB to use in a RAID configuration (as I’ve read that there is little to no real performance gain in running SSDs in RAID 0), I might consider getting two WD Black 1TB to run in RAID 0 at some point in the future (unless that’s a bad idea?). To be honest, I thought about running two WD Black 1TB in RAID 0 instead of just getting a WD Black 2TB because I read RAID 0 is faster and there are performance gains there, but seeing as I’m a noob and there are many veterans here, perhaps you guys can give me some advice on that.

tl;dr:
- Z77 chipset
- Tried to install official Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver Version: 14.8.0.1042
- “This platform is not supported”
- Will most likely never run SSDs in RAID even if I were to get more SSDs in the future (unless I should? Please advise!)
- Might run 2 identical mechanical drives in RAID 0 in the future instead of just getting 1 mechanical drive with double the storage because with my limited knowledge, I’ve come to believe that RAID 0 for mechanical drives yields performance gains (unless I shouldn’t? Please advise!)

I’m so sorry for being such an absolute idiot about all of this. I’m thoroughly confused. Help!

EDIT: Unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

@hoeman :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Here is my short statement to your post:
1. The latest drivers are not automaticly the best. When Intel develops new drivers, they try to optimize them for the latest Intel Chipsets, but not for the older ones.
2. None of the latest Intel RST drivers from v13.2.x.xxxx up natively do support Intel 7-Series Chipset systems (not at all in AHCI mode and not perfectly in RAID mode).
3. Within the start post of >this< thread you can find the special Intel RST drivers, which I recommend for your system.
4. All Intel RST drivers do support TRIM (regardless if original or modded).
5. The Intel Chipset “Drivers” (they are no real drivers) and their version don’t have any impact on the system’s performance.
6. If the user has set the SATA mode of the Intel SATA Controller to “RAID” mode, he gets some AHCI features, but not all of them. That is why I recommend to set the Controller to “AHCI” mode, unless you are going to create a RAID array.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernado)

@Fernando i didn’t install the intel rapid storage technology software but based on the below pic, can i ensure that i’m successfully installed the modded driver & without install the intel rapid storage software shouldn’t be an issue right? thanks.

FYI, i’m using ACHI only.

http://imgur.com/a/xItnk

Untitled.png

The answer ist 2x “yes!”.

@Fernando i tried to run Universal 64bit Intel RST Software v15.0.0.1039 but it shown like below so i cancel it.

1.png

You can ignore that message and will get the Software installed, but why do you want to install the RST Software onto a system, which is running in AHCI mode?
You will not benefit from it, but your system performance may drop because of the Intel RST Services, which are running in the background.

Thanks

@zdfs520 :

You’re welcome!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando, is it necessary to use RSTe Drivers & Software Set as uninstaller for manually installed drivers? Just to make sure it propperly clean? Not just using uninstall button at Device Manager?

Because I have problem with Intel RSTe Drivers & Software Set v13.2.4.1000 WHQL installer. It always said “The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: The following application Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5:Intel@Rapid Storage Technology”. I’ve already using Windows 8.1. so .Net Framework 4.5 already preinstalled.

@Dive :

No, provided, that you haven’t installed any Intel Drivers & Software Set before. Before you install any Intel RST/RST(e) driver manually, you should uninstall the previously installed Intel RST Software.

I do not recommend to uninstall a storage driver this way, because the storage devices need a driver, otherwise you don’t have access to them.
If you don’t want to use the currently installed storage driver, you should choose the “Update driver software…” > “Browse my computer…” option and then decide, whether you want to install another driver for the related device or to return to a previously used driver (> “Let me pick…” > “Show compatible devices”).

The Intel RST Software requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 for a proper functionality. You can install it from within the “Control Panel” > “Programs” > “Turn Windows features on or off”.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

First, thank you for very kind reply. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, this is not work too. All .Net Frameworks 3.5 feature are already enable. Reinstallation doesn’t help too.

Is this also safe for downgrading too?

Update of the Start Post:
Changelog:

• new:
    • "Universal 64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI+RAID drivers v15.0.2.1044 mod+signed by Fernando"

Note: As soon as I get access to the original 32bit driver, I will present the related mod+signed variant within the start post of this thread as well.

Good luck with these freshly modded and digitally signed Intel AHCI/RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando

found this thread while looking for a solution to the recent sata/ACHI related freezing issues after windows 10 AU
does anybody have any recommendations on what driver to use for a win64 system with z87 chipset
I am currently testing the new 15.x version

@onemoar :

I doubt, that the freezing issue has been caused by any Intel RST driver.

Please look into the start post of >this< thread.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

as far as I can tell there was a issue with windows 10 AU re-installing the MSCHI driver
this was resulting in total system lockups for a lot of people

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comme…versary_update/

the opinon on what driver to use is very confusing you say you don’t recommend using anything frm 13/14/15x on old intel chipsets but what is a old chipset?
so far no issues using 15.2x

You obviously haven’t read completely the linked start post. At the bottom of it is a table, which should be clear enough.

Hi Fernando , does latest 15-driver also shows up like this; " signed by Fernando" in the device-manager ?
And is it worth updating from 14-version to the 15-version ?? Do we get significant improvements, after the driver-update ??
We are on Z97-K/ 9-series intel on Win10 RS1 x64.

Will try, if you say its really an improvement…
Have read ; Microsoft will block all unsigned ( so not signed by MS ) drivers on the new Win10-versions !
Do we have to be afraid for it ?

Yes, provided, that the Intel chipset of your system is natively not supported by the driver.

I doubt, that users with an Intel 6-/7-/8-/9-Series Chipset system will get a noticeable improvement by installing any Intel RST driver, which belongs to the v15 development platform.

Since all modded drivers I am offering are digitally signed, I do not expect any problem during the installation.
By the way: I have recently tested it by installing the latest mod+signed Intel USB 3.0 onto my system running the clean installed “Anniversary Update” version of Win10 x64 and everything worked flawlessly.

Dear Fernando,

Is there any AHCI driver for Z170 chipset on Windows XP or is there any possibility to add the PCI\VEN to the inf so that Windows XP can work with that chip7?

With the best regards,

Rfsapiens.