Modded NVMe Drivers for Intel(R) Optane Controllers

@Fernando

I’ve collected the hardware IDs for all the optane models. Using them I modded the inf of intel 1.8.0.1011 driver and made it compatible with optane memory 16GB/32GB and optane ssd P4800x 375GB.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2522.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) Optane Memory 8000p Series"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2BA.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) Optane Memory 8000p Series"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2701.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) Optane SSD DC P4800x Series"

Here is the driver I modded. It has been tested on all the drives I added. But the problem is, since it doesn't have a valid signature, it can't be loaded during windows installation process, so we'll still have to intergrate the generic nvme drivers update into the installation disk, which often cause crashes during installation.

https://mega.nz/#!vgdwUJTI!kTmdwI_wlr-cL...Xj5daNdx0BO_wYI

Could you update your modded intel nvme driver to include the support for these drives?

Thanks.

Edit by Fernando: Thread title corrected/specified.
The misleading original title was “Hardware IDs for Intel Optane drives”.

The requested mod+signed drivers are attached.
Please give us your feedback, whether they work or not.
Good luck!

32bit Intel NVMe Driver v3.0.0.1013 mod+signed by Fernando.rar (80.5 KB)

64bit Intel NVMe Driver v3.0.0.1013 mod+signed by Fernando.rar (85.9 KB)

@Fernando

Thanks a lot :stuck_out_tongue: testing now.

BTW could I put these on a Chinese forum? There’s a lot of people who need this driver as far as I know.

Thanks. Don’t forget to post your result. If everything works fine for you, I will replace the related mod+signed Intel NVMe drivers v3.0.0.1013, which I am currently offering within the start post of >this< thread, by the newer ones with extended SSD support.

Since I re-modify/optimize my mod+signed drivers from time to time (proof: these Intel NVMe drivers), it is better, when you refer to the above linked source page, which is continuously monitored and kept up-to-date by me.

Tested on a P4800x and optane memory 16GB, the driver works fine in system, but it’s still blocked during windows installation, saying there’s no certificated driver in the folder. Any workaround for this?

Trying to find whatever is in control of that certification system now.

Thx.

@111alan :
If you want to integrate any mod+signed NVMe driver into a Win10 image, you have to remove the generic in-box NVMe driver from the boot.wim and install.wim. Otherwise the Setup will install the MS driver.
For a manual installation from within the Device Manager 2 things are important:
1. You have to import the Win-RAID CA Certificate, which is within the driverpack, before you start the driver installation.
2. Maybe you have to force the driver installation by using the “Let me pick…“ > “Have Disk“ options.

I was trying on a usb windows 7 installation disk. Is there a way to import the winraid certificate to the windows 7 installation disk? Thanks.

BTW the driver shows no problem during IO tests like 4K QD256 random write, and ata commands like secure erase works fine too. So it should be ready to go.

No, but the Setup will accept the mod+signed driver nevertheless, if no other in-box storage driver supports the Controller, which manages the target system drive.

That is where the problem came from… I can’t load the driver manually during windows installation, it reports that no signed driver can be found.

Just got time to test on several versions of windows 7 installation disks, none of them can recognize it(tested on ultimate, enterprise and embedded essential version)

@111alan :
The message "no signed driver can be found" is wrong and misleading as well. Manuallly offered mod+signed drivers are not accepted by any OS Setup from Win7 up, because the trustworthiness of the digital signature cannot be checked by the Setup routine.
If a user wants to use any of my mod+signed drivers from scratch, he has to boot off an OS image, where the related generic driver has been removed and the mod+signed driver has been integrated.

So the only way to use a modded driver during windows setup is to intergrate in into the wim file?

Are there anything I can do with that signature checking mechanism? I remember it’s done by someone before, I’ll see what I can find.

If it is a storage driver, you have to integrate it into both *.wim files (boot.wim and install.wim).

Usually you have to import the Certificate of the Company, which had digitally signed the driver (here: Win-RAID CA), before you are going to install the driver itself, but this procedure is not possible during the OS installation.

I see. I will investigate further to see if there is a way to bypass that verification.

BTW you can update your support list for your modded driver, I’ve send this to several of my friend and no problem found so far. :stuck_out_tongue:

Done!
Good luck with these freshly mod+signed drivers!

These drivers are ‘The Answer’ for Optane on Ryzen!
(In this case a 58GB 800p)

Stock Windows 10 driver:

Optane p800 before intel mod driver.jpg

These Drivers: (64bit Intel NVMe Driver v3.0.0.1013 mod+signed by Fernando)

v3001013 mod signed Fernando Crystal S.jpg

To put that in perspective:
A NVMe4 Corsair MP600 manages about 62 MB/s in the all important Q1T1 RND4K.
These drivers are giving about 92 MB/s more than the stock Windows driver…!
That’s 230MB/s more than the MP600 can do in total and at much lower latencies!
(59 - 195 - 72 uS)

NB!!!
There seems to be a serious issue with the later
64bit Intel NVMe Drivers v4.4.0.1003 mod+signed by Fernando:

v4401003 mod signed Fernando  Crystal S.jpg

The RND4K Q32T16 numbers are BAD!!!

@Logic :
To be honest I do not really understand what you have measured and why you have attached 2 screenshots for each driver version.
Please redo your benchmark tests by using Anvil’s Storage Utilities and posting just 1 benchmark result for each driver.

The 1st pic is the stock Windows driver, showing the read, write and all important mixed 70/30 read/write speeds.
Also the latency in Crystal’s Real world tests… (2nd pic in the pair)

The 2nd pair of pics shows the same thing for your:
64bit Intel NVMe Driver v3.0.0.1013 mod+signed driver, Linked here in your 1st post.
Here scores have improved considerably!! Thx so much!
Especially for R4K and latency.
(I inadvertently swapped the 2 pics/benches around. Soz.)

The 3rd pair of pics shows the same benchmarks as the 2nd pic, but with your:
64bit Intel NVMe Drivers v4.4.0.1003 mod+signed driver.

Important to not is that the:
RND4K Q32 T16 scores have dropped from/to :
Read: 1453.73 to 10.37 MB/s
Write: 597.70 to 15.67 MB/s
Mixed: 967.17 to 11.13 MB/s

Thats a HUGE drop! Pointing to a possible (hopefully) issue with your .ini file etc, rather than the driver itself???

The other scores are up slightly, so it would be nice if it were fixable plz??

I will redo scores with Anvil if you still feel it’s necessary?

@Logic :
There is nothing I can do for you regarding the v4.4.1003 driver. I generally don’t touch the driver itself (= *.sys file), but just add the natively missing HardwareIDs within the associated text (= *.inf) file.
If you are not satisfied with the mod+signed Intel NVMe driver v4.4.0.1003, you should stick with the v3.0.0.1013.
Alternatively you can try any of the latest original Intel v17 platform RST drivers, which contain a generic NVMe driver, but you have to force the installation by using the “Have Disk” option. For details look >here< (chapter C point b 4).

Do those modded drivers support:

SCSI\DiskNVMe____INTEL_MEMPEK1J060440

@SoNic67

No, your posted HardwareIDs are the ones of the SSD itself, which is only supported by the Operating System’s Device Management. The related MS in-box driver is named disk.sys and cannot be replaced by any other driver.
The topic of this thread is about the Intel NVMe Controllers, which are within the chip of Intel’s NVMe SSDs. You can find the related HardwareIDs within the “Storage Controllers” section (not within the “Disks” one).

1 Like