Modding Gigabyte GA-970A-D3

Hi everyone,

I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, and the latest BIOS version (F13b, http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIO…70a-d3_f13b.zip) comes with the 3.1.2.0 AMD AHCI ROM. There’s always a ~10 second delay after detecting all the drives, and I thought it might be interesting to try the 3.2.1.0 ROM to see if it helps. Does anybody know if there is a noticeable difference between the two? If there isn’t, perhaps I shouldn’t bother.

Anyway, I read through a bunch of the threads on this forum (especially this one Gygabyte GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.3) and this one [Guide] Enhanced BIOS Modding of Award BIOSes). I’m unsure which technique would be the best way to go. The first one seems like it could be easier, but Fernando mentioned that the modfix tool could be infected with a virus.

The original/compressed sizes of 3.1.2.0 and 3.2.1.0 ROMs are 25.50K/14.55K and 26.00K/14.76K, respectively. Any advice would be appreciated :slight_smile:

@ genetix:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Only users with an AMD chipset mainboard and experience with both AMD AHCI ROM module versions may be able to answer this question exactly, but I think, that the update will be worth the effort.

I recommend to follow SummoneR’s guide, because he is the experet regarding the modding of Award BIOSes.

Regards
Fernando

Thanks Fernando, I will try to give that a shot. (edit: might try it at a later point in time since at the moment I can’t afford to have a bricked motherboard)

Would you also happen to know why people update their Realtek LAN BIOS? Does it affect anything other than the PXE boot? It doesn’t affect the regular NIC operation, does it?

No, it mainly affects the Wake-on-Lan function.

I had even older AMD AHCI ROM and after updating to the latest available option, I haven’t noticed any changes in loading speed. However, I have only one SSD and one HDD in my system, both in AHCI mode. My board also have additional IDE/1394 port controller (I had PATA HDD and ODD in old days), and if left enabled it gave me 3-4 sec. more boot time. It’s a good idea to disable all optional controllers if you don’t plan to use them in the near future.

In my opinion, it’s always better to have the latest BIOS/ROM/driver available in your system - it it’s not bugged, it will not do any harm. Besides, modding the BIOS was rather easy. :slight_smile: