MSI GF63 8RD - wifi problems

Hello everyone! I’ve been posting and searching on the internet for a while and didn’t really find a solution (didn’t find the problem either). So i own a MSI laptop - GF63 8RD - i7 8750h + 1050ti(max-q) + 16gb (hyperx 2666 cl15 oced to 3200 cl17) + sn750 1tb + 1tb hdd. It came with an intel ac9462 which i replaced with an ac9560 (because I tought the adapter itself was problematic). The internet connection is not stable while gaming on 5Ghz, it looks like it has no traffic because it stays connected but games reach incredible big pings (rarely it even disconnects); other devices on the same network are not affected and work flawlessly.
After doing some windows re-installing, driver tests (intel/msi support/windows), testing stock settings or my normal settings that include some OCs, UVs and others I observed something strange:
-Laptop on AC + dGPU + 5Ghz => no internet
-Laptop on AC + iGPU + 5Ghz => works
-Laptop on AC + dGPU + 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz(20mhz bandwith) => works
-Laptop on battery + dGPU + 5Ghz => works (possibly because gpu is limited)
!!! Laptop on AC + dGPU + 5Ghz using a DFS channel on the router => works and have no idea why ----- can’t keep a stable DFS channel on the router i own (it changes daily or even more often) that’s why I’m still looking for a solution - you can also recommend some budget dual link (1200mbps+) that have DFS channels you can manually select.

-Tested this on 3 different routers.

The only thing I didn’t try yet was replacing the antennas (regarding the hardware) or flashing a modded bios or EC for this model. I think the problem can be related to the adapter not being sent enough power while the dGPU is in load.

bump

@Lost_N_BIOS think this one needs moving to the right sub-forum :wink:

my bad if it’s in the wrong place but didn’t manage to figure out the right sub-forum to post into :frowning: Sorry!

Don’t worry about it @djdox23 when lost gets a chance I’m sure he’ll move it I think stuff like this goes in the sub-forum for the OS you are running. Few things you can try though;

Download latest drivers from intel for the AC9560 (if installing via device manager remember to check the box to delete the existing driver)
Remove any intel software for the device and just use the generic Windows software
Go to Device Manager > Network Adapters > Click on your 9560, in the window that opens up click on the “advanced” tab, there should be a bunch of options here you can dial to make the adapter play nicer with your router
Lastly access your router properties (there should be an IP address on your router to get to a login screen for it) and see if theres anything you can adjust here to coax better cooperation between your adapter and router.

If you have done all of that already you can try running an MTU test to optimise the packet size, open command prompt as admin and type; ping www.google.com -f -l 1492

If you get messages saying the packet needs to be fragmented your MTU size is too big, re-run the test changing the size in +- increments of 10 until you find the largest size that doesn’t fragment, add 28 to your optimal value for IP/ICMP. Now change the setting on your router in the WAN setup to this value.

for now i stopped using the external wifi adapter, returned to ac9560 and force it to run on 20mhz bandwith which works fine but has low download speed… i’ll look into the problem again soon.

Low download speeds are a bitch, they are usually due to a poorly written driver. You can try to brute force the issue to an extent though, on the 2.4GHz band select a channel other devices in range don’t use (acrylic wifi home is ideal for helping with this) once you have selected a channel make sure the router and adapter are both set for 20MHz and set the router to 802.11n, if your adapter has an option to change the standard as well also select 802.11n, if its an older adapter you’ll have to make do with 802.11g. These changes should provide a decent bump.

@ket - To where should this be moved?

low download speeds happen because of the bandwidth being set to 20mhz only. if i use default settings i reach the maximum speed the ISP provide (500mbps) on the 5ghz network but gaming become impossible. 2.4 ghz works fine in any profiles but i want to make use of the 5ghz (only for my laptop) for the faster download speed. also there aren’t many networks around me, i can easily use both 2.4 and 5ghz on a channel that has no other network on the same channel. the problem is that (as i tried to describe in the main post)while using 5ghz on the default settings (auto bandwidth and 802.11ac) will crash the connection while the dedicated GPU is in load (only for the laptop, only while it’s running - it is still connected but seems to have no traffic, showing “No Internet”)

@Lost_N_BIOS I thought this would go in Windows 8-10/Server 2012-2019 sub-forum based on its description- "News, Guides, Tips & Problems".

20/40MHz bandwidth is a fickle thing, because you are making use of two rather than one channel it can be substantially more prone to dropouts and doesn’t actually make all that much difference for performance and from experience dual channel bandwidth is actually slightly worse on average but it is another situational variable factor as it depends on the wireless adapter, the router, and other networks in range. The standard is the key factor for overall bandwidth, on 2.4GHz 802.11g = 54mbps, 802.11n = 150mbps or more depending on the routers chipset capabilities and chipset capabilities of the adapter.

the adapter (ac9560) is capable of 800mbps on 5ghz, the router (tplink archer c6) is also 1200mbps (800 5ghz). The problem is 100% due to the motherboard / bios / ec because all my other devices work perfect in any situation (2g/5g , browsing / gaming / downloading big files , phones/laptops)…

I have at least 8 devices on my network, all work perfectly except for one because it is an older device I’ve had to specifically tune the adapter and the router to get them to cooperate to any kind of reasonable degree. Point is, just because everything else works fine doesn’t mean there won’t be a device that needs some extra customising specifically for it ;o)

I really don’t know what tweaks to apply to be honest. I’ve been changing adapters, routers, channels, drivers, windows versions but with no success into using the full speed the wifi card can reach… The only thing that seems to be working is setting the router’s channel to a DFS one, but the only router that have DFS channels is from my ISP and can’t be customized that much and also it changes the channel after some hours by itself even though it is selected manually.

Go to Device Manager > Network adapters > double click your wireless adapter > click “advanced” tab, grab a screenshot of the options and what options you can select between and I’ll be able to give you a general guide for some good settings. It may be necessary to also tune your router but can deal with that if the first step doesn’t work.

The slow download speed can be due to a poorly written driver. Try to brute force the problem, I think it will fix the problem. Have you performed the speed test? If not, try performing the internet speed test using an accurate tool. If you want to save your time, try checking this speed test tool Do these things to have an accurate result.
● Make sure that your router is only connected to one device before you start the speed test
● Close all the programs that are running on your browser and using the internet
● Repeat the test twice to have more accurate results
After performing the speed test, you will have a clear picture of why you are facing this problem and how to solve it.