MSI Tomahawk Max BIOS HPET

Apparently , it would be normal to be stuck at 10mhz with the latest versions of windows : https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/j2nnup/10mhz_at_qpc_i_cant_change_it/

That’s what they also said about the Windows version I was using during my test where I show 3Mhz (Don’t remember version used there)
But, as mentioned, this does not affect me, and I know very little about how it all works etc. Someone here helped me to learn a little bit about this, but I can’t remember who exactly it was, and I can’t find where we were discussing long ago.
Maybe @chinobino or @dsanke - Did either of you send me this image - https://i.imgur.com/jlrJzYG.png

@Lost_N_BIOS Not me but thanks for both images in this thread.

@Lost_N_BIOS Not me. I don’t know about it.

Hmm, I wonder who that was? Thanks guys!

I found it @st1cky - Can you chime in here with some modern/updated HPET/Timer info? Thanks!
Seem this BIOS, QPC remains at 10Mhz no matter what, there is two HPET in BIOS to disable (one SB debug), but either one, or both, disabled + BCDedit /Set userplatformclock TRUE or False still = 10Mhz
It’s is actually possible they took the time to rip out functionality from the BIOS, instead of just hiding per usual? Last I tested on was Win10 + Z390 Gigabyte, as soon as I disabled in BIOS = 3Mhz ONLY if useplatformclock = TRUE

@Lost_n_BIOS

its the newest BIOS 7C84v151(Beta version)
--------------------------

https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/support/M…0-TOMAHAWK-WIFI

msi snapshot.zip (586 KB)

@blackfirehawk - That’s not even same chipset as what’s going on in this thread, and not even same type of CPU (ADM vs Intel), why did you post in here??
Please make a new thread, specific to your board, and include all this info I asked for (images, links, attachments), then I will move all your posts to that thread (or delete them, your choice)

10 MHz is not QPC/QPF result from HPET.
So you can leave HPET "On" in BIOS, letting drivers and kernel mode apps to use it at their will.

I didnt tested if its still working on newer Windows 10 Builds, could be they locked it in Windows.
He should test it on older Builds ( Win10 1709-1809 ).

Hey Lost_N_BIOS,
I have MSI B450 Tomahawk Max with BIOS Version 7C02v39 (2020-11-30) and an AMD Ryzen 3700X CPU.
I have a Custom Win10 20H2 which really performs well with my Hardware compaired to Stock Win10.
In BIOS i disabled all Thermal / Power Options / SMT in hope to get the CCX Latency a bit down. Was working good but I was wondering that I not found a HPET Options in BIOS!? I think it is enabled by default…
Now I tryed to make a research if HPET can make a difference and now I am confused as hell… (At my research I found these Topic here)
1. What is good for Win10 20H2 (Ryzen):
BIOS HPET enabled / Win10 HPET disabled
BIOS HPET disabled / Win10 HPET disabled
BIOS HPET enabled / Win10 HPET enabled
I will test myself but for myself I need some knowledge to understand what I am testing… But nearly every Tweaker or every Site say different… (Even from Microsoft Developers, lol)
2. Can you plz provide me a Modded BIOS (7C02v39) where i can change HPET in BIOS? I dont know if you adhoc know more Power/Thermal/Throttling Options to disable in BIOS, then you can add those also. I have looked into mod my BIOS with GRUB but i am not confirmed with Linux/Ubuntu…
Greetings :slight_smile:

Is there anybody home? :slight_smile:
If it is not possible then plz let me know.

s