MSI X79a GD65 8D BIOS flash failure

I dont know if I post to the correct forum. Sorry if it is wrong.

I have a combo:

• MSI X79A GD65 8D
  • Intel 3930K CPU.

The main has Dual bios, A version 4.8 and B version 1.0. everything was OKay. Both BIOS can boot.

I decide to flash bios B to 4.8. so I have:

• Extracted BIOS A to usb using BiOs MTool.
  • Flashed the BIOS B using the extracted BIOS from M-Tool in BIOS setup.

In fact when I flash the B, I boot with A, then swith the BIOS switch in the main to B, then flash it. (I follow that steps because in the BIOS flash MTool in BIOS B does not see the extracted file from A).

During the flash, 100% done. But then it restart and flash ME. I did not select flash BIOS and ME, I only did slect BIOS but I dont know why it flash ME also. i think that extracted BIOS does not contain ME.
Then after flashing ME ( i think the process fails), the computer cannot boot. It continuously power up and down.

BIOS A still works well.

Then I tried to reflash BIOS B using old version 1.8 downloaded from MSI page. It does not allow me to choose the file .180. so I change to .480 to force the MTool flash it. This time it flash 100%, then reboot and the same outcome: cannot boot.

So anyway I still have BIOS A to run, but still want to save the B.

I want to flash directly from Windows, using version 4.8 (.exe file). The process could be.

• Boot from A to windows
  • Copy BIOS .exe file to usb
  • switch BIOS to B
  • Run the file.

My question is:

• Will the flash process flash BIOS B? (Like the MTool in BIOS).
  • Is there another way to flash the BIOS B.

I have only 1 BIOS to live with, so I have to be sure.

Thank you and best regards,

All seems correct according the manual… but the ME operation here i really dont understand what were you trying to do… updating the ME on bios B? How and what file did you used, as there is no original MSI ME FW file to update the system, if im not wrong about it…
Like many other OEM, the ME update started in bios 4.2 (From 7.1 to 8.1), its not a separated process.

And please do NOT do this operations in OS environment.

Here some user experiences outside the forum:
Flashing MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) to v4.8, One bios bricked. Other still working. One life left! | MSI Global English Forum - Index

Trying to recover Bad BIOS - MSI X79A GD65 (8D) | Tech Support Forum

Good luck.

EDIT: Where do you think the system is more loaded… in UEFI/DOS environment or on a full loaded OS? Thats my answer to you…
Im sure that you already found a web user report of bios update failing in OS and death motherboard…if not your a lucky user.
And now you explained correctly the ME update… its correct some motherboards bios files requires several reboots (Usually auto or OEM advice) in order to update different components ME/EC/BIOS.

The ME update was automatically performed by M tool, after flashing BIOS. I believe that it is a separated process. Reading the guide in downloaded 4.8 BIOS zip file, I see it says it will reboot several times to flash ME.

Thank you for the link, and pls tell me why we should not perform in windows environment? I remember that years ago, I have flash the BIOS A from Windows.

For anyone who has the same issue as mine, pls go to my msi thread to see how I have recovered the bad BIOS.