My experiences upgrading to Nvme M.2 Raid on an Asus Z170-WS. Trials and tribulations..

Hi,

Just wanted to detail my experiences updating my system to dual M.2 nvme raid. First let me list my hardware. Already had Win 10 running off of a SM961 I bought a couple months so I thought two would be even better. Had an Intel 750 running off of an U.2 Port, two SATA drives running in Raid 0, and a couple CD/DVD drives. This posting will also review my experiences with Acronis 2016 and Macrium Reflect (latest version). So because the U.2 shares bandwidth with the second M.2 port I lost my Intel 750 as soon as I installed the second M.2 Samsung 961. At least I didn’t loose another two SATA ports (still had 4 out of 6). As I was afraid that could happen I was prepared with a PCI-E to U.2 adapter card which I installed in the Pci-e 2.0 x4 slot knowing I would take a performance hit by going to 2.0 pcie spec. Had no choice as I already had two video cards occupying 2 out of the 4 remaining pci-e slots and did not want any of them to drop to 8X no matter what. In anycase in preparation for this operation I backed up my OS using Acronis 2016 and created an emergency restore disk which refused to boot.

So I created the Win-PE version of Acronis on a usb stick and that booted up but refused to see my new M.2 Raid array! Probably raid drivers were missing and instead of trying to slipstream drivers I gave Macrium Reflect a shot and got to say I really liked its interface and that it shows you what drivers gets included in the Win-PE boot disk and lets you update them if you want. I didn’t update anything and upon reboot it saw my Nvme raid array and restored the backup without a hitch! For what its worth I was also prepared for the worst and had created a high speed usb clone of my Win10 install but for whatever reason that BSOD me upon reboot. Probably had a drive signature collision issue going on. Anyhow I highly recommend everyone to use Macrium Reflect and stay away from Acronis if your using anything beyond AHCI! Only other issue I am having right now is that the performance of my new array could be better as its read speeds are no better than a single drive. Perhaps I have saturated the bandwidth?

Thanks