[Need Help] ASUS FX504GD BIOS modification

Limit could be set at 60c? More likely TDP setting or power limit setting
Wait and see if @Lugburz has any input, maybe he has same CPU as you (post your CPU so you two can compare CPU/Temps etc when he replies)

Sorry for the wait :confused:

@wilson98 : I started trying to flash with AFU before knowing there is another way and limitations. Saw somewhere (maybe this forum) that AFU with /GAN command available is an old version and will probably not work with Aptio V bioses. In fact, I tried it and it never worked even with the latest version (with another command). It just does not flash anything or freeze after reading the file … You have to use Intel programming tool (as Lost_N_BIOS said ). Should be the latest (for CSME 12). Not sure at 100% because we don’t have the same laptop

@guangzhishun : mine is shipped with I5 8300H, does not have any sort of frequency lock (non turbo frequency at 2,3ghz, turbo frequency up to 4ghz, verfied and working as it should). I suppose you have the laptop shipped with an I7, and I saw some ppl complaining about this “issue”.
Maybe have a look first with Intel Extreme tuning Utility and check frequencies under load, also CPU core multiplier, reference clock, maybe Turbo boost Power too and compare with what it should be from the official specifications of your CPU …

Ok, thank you for your advice. In fact, my CPU is also i5-8300H, but I have never seen it turbo up to 4ghz

It greatly depends on the work asked to the CPU.
You should try to monitor frequency with some stress test or benchmarking tool and see if it goes up near 4ghz
CPU have some integrated "things" to optimize power based on load like P-states or speedshift for example.
Not a expert in this but i mostly do some research before tweaking the bios to understand what I do and discover all sort of things like this :slight_smile:

My i7 cpu clock also down to 2Ghz when start running my GPU , i already tried use intel xtu to set it but still down to 2Ghz when gaming

You should also take into account Turbo boost, it is not meant to boost your cpu frequency on all core at the same time and at max frequency all the time.
Just tested my laptop with bios reset to default settings and monitoring a game session with HWInfo :

We can see maximum frequency reach 4ghz (didn’t kept an eye all the time to see hw much time and when etc, but it is just to show you that it is not underclocked at all and raise “on demand”)

monitoringcpu.jpg

I have seen this, but the time to reach such a high frequency is only a moment, about 2s, normal is 28s. Other times are 2ghz, whether or not the GPU is running.I used the monitoring software and found that the CPU power consumption is only 28W, which is a little different from the normal 45W. I am really confused.

Is your CPU properly supported? Is this CPU that came with system, or you put in? If you put in, did you update microcodes? What is max TDP reached ever?

I don’t know my cpu is properly supported. But every time the BIOS has the latest version, I will update it. I am looking forward to the situation after the update, but it is still the same. The maximum TDP is 65W when the GPU is not running, but only 28W when the GPU is running.

Is that CPU that come with system when you purchased, or did you put in new CPU? What is new CPU full model, I will check if microcode is in latest BIOS

Sounds like overall TDP is being limited to 65W, and when GPU enabled with CPU it’s cut down to avoid the high TDP is knows will come once GPU starts heavy load. Does that sound correct to you?

That CPU come that with system.I think what you said is correct.And when the GPU is running, the CPU can’t be Turbo, only the basic frequency.

Then CPU compatible for sure since it came with system. We have to find which setting causes that, do you know @guangzhishun I’m not too familiar with laptops and energy savings/limitations.
I can give you huge list of all settings to dig through if you want, unless you already have that IFR from setup?

Ok,I want.Thanks

@guangzhishun - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…641535778185374

Ok,What should I do after downloading?

Read through the file, find the settings you want to change and make a list of those settings, and their default value and what you want it changed to, then I can make mod BIOS for you or show you how to make the changes via grub with setup_var

The ZIP is broken. When I open it, my computer prompts that it is broken.

Download it again, the file is fine, I just downloaded it and checked, unzips without issue.

I don’t know why I can’t open the downloaded file.I have tried it many times.

Sorry @guangzhishun - here is file not in a zip
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…432394463949243