Needing advice for ROM update

@CPL0 - sorry, I was just reviewing my posts and I saw you asked so my apologies for not answering your question weeks ago.

Not sure how to do what you had mentioned; uncompressed. Do you mean the OROM file? Then yes, unzipped it.

10.1.0.1008 went just fine, but Fernando said he got the 11.2.0.1527 to work where as I tried and it just does not work at all. I did the same steps when I did the 10.1.0.1008. The end BIOS size are the same (2,048kb) though. Just that the 11.2.0.1527 did not work, just hung right after the BIOS boot up part and never saw the Windows 7 balls-to-flag part. All I did see is in the upper left corner a flashing underscore line.

@ denaba:

If you have the time, please have a look into >this< thread.

OK :slight_smile:

So I may have to try this in the coming days on the X58 board. Fernando, thanks again for all your help and work!!

I’ll report back what happens.

Remember I have a single SSD (Crucial m4) on an x58 board. So I read this and I did this, here is what is going on.

flashed to OROM version 11.2.0.1527 (from OROM 10.1.0.1008)
BIOS AHCI mode - had hang just before Starting Windows, but followed instructions by disconnecting supplied by Fernando. Now I can install again.
BIOS RAID mode, single SSD - followed instructions by disconnecting. Same result; cannot boot. Hangs before "Starting Windows" and Ctrl+I never appears. Let system sit for 27 minutes and still sitting at this point.

shutdown, clear the BIOS, started up, set BIOS to AHCI and all is well with OROM 11.2.0.1527.
Using RST 11.2.0.1006
System is faster at boot, Windows balls to flag; at flag only for 1 second as oppose to before it was 3-4 seconds.

So the RAID thing kind of bugged me so I shutdown, disconnected everything. Started up again, went to BIOS and set to RAID and then shutdown. Installed two HDD regular drives (which I know have never been in a RAID) and rebooted. Same result, just hangs.
cleared the BIOS again, started up, in BIOS back to AHCI and then I can install Windows 7 on any of the two drives.

What do you think Fernando? Should I be concerned running in AHCI mode with 11.2.0.1527 because of the RAID mode issue?

Yes, I meant the OROM but not about unzipping it.

I think I still have an old modded deluxe V2 1202 BIOS that’s never been tried. Not sure that it would make a difference but if you wanted to give it one last shot I could dig it up and also add the non-compressed OROM for you.

@ denaba:
Thanks for your interesting report. It is fine, that you got the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 flashed and fawlessly working in AHCI mode.

Not really. As long as you ar not using the SATA Controller in RAID mode, everything seems to be fine and even better than with the formerly inserted Intel RAID ROM version.
Nevertheless it would be a good idea to find the reason for your RAID mode issue and - if possible - to solve it.
Maybe you should give the BIOS a try, which CPL0 just has offered for you.

@ CPL0:
All ROM modules, which I am offering within my Forum, are uncompressed.

It’s not about how the OROM comes, but a question of whether or not it is compressed once inserted in the firmware image.

@ Fernando
Makes me a bit nervous because I have another system (exact parts) with the exception that one is running in RAID mode with two Crucial m4’s. I do have a spare Crucial m4 sitting on my desk, if I could I could do RAID, but then the issue of the RAID hang up will prevent me from installing Windows to them.

Maybe I’ll try going to the next level OROM and see if that does anything. I’ll get back to you in a little while.

@CPL0
If you think it might not do anything for this issue then maybe I’ll hold off, but thank you though. What’s been modded on it and will it work on a P6T Deluxe v2?

That’s cool denaba, don’t want to break things. The only thing modded is the RAID OROM to 11.6 with trim enabled for RAID0 on ICH10R and others.

Not sure why boards like the P6T are a little funky with the larger OROM’s. IIRC though the compressed images use a word for the compressed file length so my reasoning was along those lines, a word can only describe up to 64k. If the compressed size is bigger than 64k then maybe a bug in decompressing, idk, only guessing.

That is interesting. The official BIOS modding tools CBROM and MMTool do not offer the choice for PCI ROM modules how to get them inserted or replaced (compressed resp. uncompressed).
How do you manage it?

??? MM 3.26
insert →
Module File → "name of OROM file"
Module ID → 20
VID → 8086
DID → 2822

Select "Insert Uncompressed"
Insert

I thought this worked?

Okay here is what has happened.

Back when I started this, the OROM was 8.0.0.1038. Fernando, great help, got me to go to 10.1. Today tried and attained 11.2, but I noticed something in the BIOS as well. In the Boot section, the first options I had three where now with OROM 11.2 there is only 2. The option to see what drives are bootable is now gone. The only option is to “Select” boot drives. My Western Digital (D drive) was not included on the list.

Now I just did OROM 11.5.0.1414 and everything is fine; I can boot

So with 11.5.0.1414
BIOS in AHCI - still able to boot and install Windows
BIOS - the third option which disappeared is now back again so I now have my 3 options back in the boot section
BIOS in RAID - now the Asus splash screen appears and then a flash of about half my screen of some sort of orange-ish brown color and then hard shutdown followed by a self restart. Disconnected all SATA’s and booted passed splash screen and I even got passed the hang spot only to be meet with “select a device to boot from”,

Shutdown, installed two WD HDD so I can try RAID, same results; hard shutdown after weird color screen and self-reboot.

Disconnected drives, restarted, enter BIOS and changed to AHCI, shutdown. Install drives and then started up. All is good again so something weird with the RAID option now since OROM 10.1.0.1008.

@Fernando
Do you have Intel RSTe version 11.5.0.1184 and .1207? I went to Station Drivers and Intel, no joy.

@CPL0
Well now that you pointed that out then no. That setting is defaulted to "compressed" so then you are right; everything I have done has been compressed. Should I give that a go?

Yes, I have them both. Which version and which sort (32/64bit/complete package) do you want?

I’ll take both in 64-bit, thank you

Here are the download links:
>64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI & RAID Drivers v11.5.0.1184<
>64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI & RAID Drivers v11.5.0.1207 WHQL<

So here is what I did because the RAID setting in the BIOS is just bugging me. I just like to know why. So I updated to OROM 11.6.0.1702 and still the same issue where it hangs.

So I went back and installed OROM 10.1.0.1008 and it works again. I get the screen to make a RAID if I want and no hangs when set in the BIOS RAID.

So maybe a side affect as you mentioned before Fernando; the OROMs got bigger than the x58 boards can handle or something like that?

BTW, when I did install OROM 11.6.0.1702 and was in AHCI mode everything again was fine. Better scores in AS SSD, I can post previous ones too just to see the upward trend.

I know I am not RAIDing 2 or more, but this is getting interesting for me. But now I wonder if I do want to RAID (because that extra SSD doing nothing on my desk) is looking nice, but then again if I go up in OROM revisions past 10.1.0.1008 I do not get the RAID screen and who knows what it will do to my array.

Going to chew on this for a while; I’ll get back here and post some screen shots for anyone who has this x58board

That seems possible for me too.
AFAIK the problem of many X58 mainboard BIOSes is, that there is not enough space especially for the PCI ROM modules. Otherwise it would not have been possible, that some mainboard manufacturers were able to change the internal BIOS srtucture with the result, that they could insert a 120 KB sized Intel RAID ROM without any problem.
Maybe your RAID problem is provoked by a too strong compression of the Intel RAID ROM module done by the MMTool to get it inserted at all, with the consequence, that parts of the hex codes cannot be read correctly.

I’ll try what CPL0 said, the uncompressed option. Are you familiar with doing it? I see that there is a drop down menu, not sure if I should select something in there. I can try it out after I get some other stuff off my plate. Or is “uncompressed” the RAID ROM will just make it worse?

That may be, if my speculation (too much compression needed to get the OROM inserted) should be the truth. Nevertheless I recommend to do the test. If I should be right, you will not get any RAID ROM module inserted into the original BIOS, probably not even the v10.1.0.1008.
As long as you don’t flash the modded BIOS into your mainboard BIOS chip, nothing will be destroyed.
Another idea would be to check, if you really need all other PCI ROM modules, which are within the BIOS of your mainboard (I don’t remember them). If you can remove any of the other PCI ROM modules without having any disadvantage with your PC usage, you may get the space you need for a proper function of the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 in RAID mode.