Not able to add AHCI mode in Vaio VGC-JS4E

Hi,

I’m trying to add AHCI option in VAIO VGC-JS4E BIOS without good results. The MOBO come’s with an ICH10 Sata controller (8086:3A20) but using MMTOOL 3.26 not new module is showed in the main table (i try to insert the module using pchahci.bin and 8086-2822_11201527.bin files downloaded from this site).

Here you can see a screenshot of Vendor and device:

Screenshot with MMTOOL, no device 8086-3A20 appear:

I don’t know if i’m not using the correct rom module for this device but when trying to insert (using insert tab and “For adaptor rom only” in MMTOOL no new lines come up in main table, not with pchahci.bin either with 8086-2822_11201527.bin)

Can somebody help me? Thanks a lot,

@ rider:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The screenshot with the HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel(R) ICH10 SATA Controller shows, that it is currently running in IDE mode (DEV_3A20).
It doesn’t make any sense to search for an Intel AHCI or RAID ROM module for the DeviceID DEV_3A20, because
a) such IDE ROM modules do not exist and
b) they cannot be used with any IDE Controller.
Precondition of the ability to run the on-board Intel SATA IDE Controller in AHCI mode is the BIOS option to change the SATA mode of the on-board Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI". When your mainboard BIOS doesn’t allow a switch to "AHCI", you will not be able to use the AHCI mode - whichever AHCI or RAID ROM module you may insert into the BIOS.
By the way: The Intel RAID ROM modules have nothing to do with the AHCI mode.

That is no surprise, because an Intel IDE ROM for DEV_3A20 Intel SATA Controllers doesn’t exist.
The only existing Intel ROM module, which supports the AHCI mode, is the Intel AHCI ROM (latest version: 1.20E), but the system will only be able to use it, if
a) the on-board Intel SATA Controller natively does support AHCI and
b) the System BIOS has the option to switch the SATA mode of the on-board Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI".

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

This computer is an All-in-one, the bios is very tiny, 2 security option and nothing more, so as i understand, there is no way to load intel AHCI ROM if system BIOS doesn’t have the SATA option? Is not possible to change this seetings editing BIOS file and loading the AHCI rom?

Thank you very much for your very fast answer Dieter

No, AFAIK there is no way to get AHCI working with your system.

If you would try it, the chances of bricking your VAIO computer are extremely high.

I think it’s not so important against the possibility to brick my computer

Thank you very much for your help Dieter, and congratulations for this amazing website

I had a quick look at the latest BIOS for your computer and I have bad news…
Sony has not implemented pretty much every option. There are only some passwords and the VT-x setting.

Your computer is locked to IDE mode forever, sorry dude…

PS: BIOS inspected with AMIBCP.