Nvme for asus Z8NA-D6

Hi all.
I integrated the NvmeOpRom module into the asus Z8NA-D6 BIOS, and a successful boot from the samsung 970pro followed.
But there was a problem, when the system is rebooted (win start - reboot), the BIOS does not see the nvme disk until you turn off the computer.
Maybe I’m doing something wrong when integrating rom into bios?
Maybe there is some subtlety that I did not take into account?

thanks for the help

Hy where can I find the mod bios for Z8NA-D6 mobo? thx

@hellkot

So u added the "Experimental] NVMe Option ROM" or the regular NVMe Mod for older systems…
At least can share some confirmations of ur mod or a dump of ur bios for further investigation…kind of difficult to GUESS what we dont know about actions made.

@edvr6 : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

If any Forum member should offer such modded BIOS, you can find it within >this< Sub-Forum.
By the way - for users, whose mainboard/system has an AMI UEFI BIOS and who are willing to modify the BIOS themselves, I am offering >here< an easy to follow step-by-step guide.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Z8NA-D6 support
latest bios version is 1303 (2012/07/09)

[HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers
Samsung Magician (for firmware updates,bug fixes,speed enhancements etc)

A clean windows installation is recommended
If you have multiple drives,unplug them till the installation is completed
let us know how it went

EDIT by Fernando: Link to the NVMe modded BIOS removed (the insertion of an EFI file into a BIOS without UEFI support would not work anyway, but may brick the BIOS)

hy i have update the BIOS with the MOD BIOS but in the boot menu of my MB Z8NA-D6 dosen’t appear my NMVe unit to boot from. I need to change any paramenters in the BIOS menu? thx

@edvr6 yes you do,please refer to section 4-Installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD from the link i have provided previously
[HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
waiting for the good news :slight_smile:

Hy again I make all the stepos but when I start the system with a UEFI USB PEN with Win10 it appears on the screen that I need to use a CSM version of USB PEN with Win10 to install on this mobo cos don’t support UEFI boot. I think I do something wrong :frowning:

win10 supports both legacy and uefi
win10 also supports boh mbr and gpt
If its eufi,use gpt.If its legacy,use mbr

but in our case you must be going for uefi and gpt

If you have created boot sector successfully,place it in the 1st row in boot order.should be appear as Windows Boot Manager

you may need to turn off secure booth,fast boot and cms

what do you see in settings? could you add screenshots? pressing f12 or printscreen keys would do the trick and placing it in your usb or use your phone

@onuracengiz

Can u plz attach here PROOF of ur modified presented bios to this user.
I would like to see that NVMe module on that bios, since its a legacy bios.
The user already said that is mobo is legacy bios not EFI, so can u explain to us and him, how does he gonna use/install an OS on an NVMe ssd disk.

@MeatWar

Untitled.jpg

1.jpg

but yes,may it was not clear in my previous explanation,module requires eufi,therefore you cant use it.

@onuracengiz

So its the 2nd time i see u offering mod bios to users in a way that its all clear to us not being possible in legacy bios, as we all know, can i ask what u want to achieve with this?
U are misleading users to wrong information and hopes, agree? Whenever someone asks to mod a bios to nvme and if its a legacy bios we do explain the issue to the user, as being only possible in UEFI bios.
Please do not provide mod bios files that cannot support the correct function of the NVMe module and the use of an NVMe ssd drive as normal boot/install device.

@onuracengiz : @edvr6 :
MeatWar is right - there is a huge difference between Option ROM and EFI “DXE Driver” modules (completely different function and code). A non-UEFI Legacy BIOS like the one of the ASUS Z8NA-8 cannot use any inserted EFI “DXE Driver” like the NVMe modules, which are offered within the start post of >this< thread. The insertion of an *.ffs or *.efi file into a Legacy BIOS may even brick the BIOS completely.

According to my knowledge there are only 2 options for users of a Legacy (non-UEFI) BIOS to be able to boot directly off an NVMe SSD:
1. Usage of a Samsung 950 Pro SSD (seems to be currently the only NVMe SSD with an in-box NVMe Option ROM, which will be loaded while booting)
2. Insertion of a specificly modded variant of the Samsung NVMe Option ROM into the mainboard BIOS (not easy to do, for details look >here<)

@MeatWar : JFYI - thanks for your input!

@MeatWar @Fernando
ofcourse.given the fact user has already applied the module,i have assumed he also did go through the guide.i should have double checked it.

@onuracengiz :
Only the thread opener hellkot had inserted the NVMe Option ROM, but didn’t attach/link his/her modded BIOS.
The Forum member edvr6 obviously had flashed the BIOS, which has been modded by you and linked within the post #5 of this thread.

you are right