NVMe Support for nForce4 Mainboards?

Hello, I’m trying to make an nvme ssd boot on A8N SLI SE motherboard 939 socket nforce 4
the ssd is detected in windows i’m trying to mod the bios but can’t open the file with MMTool i’ve tried all versions
Don’t ask me why i’m doing it’s just for fun

EDIT by Fernando: Thread title specified

@danydani90 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You can use an NVMe SSD for storage purposes and even for the installation of a modern Windows OS, but you will not be able to boot off it with your old nForce chipset system (unless you buy a Samsung 950 Pro SSD).
Any BIOS modification is useless for your system regarding the NVMe support.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando why not and why Samsung 950 Pro SSD?

@danydani90 :
1. All NVMe SSDs except the Samsung 950 Pro need an UEFI BIOS with an EFI NVMe BIOS module to be bootable. Your nForce chipset mainboard doesn’t have an UEFI BIOS.
2. The Samsung 950 Pro SSD can boot without an UEFI BIOS and an EFI BIOS module, because it has a LEGACY type NVMe Option ROM in-the-box.

Just use Clover or DUET with booting from IDE drive (example Industrial CF card with IDE adapter or IDE HDD).
Screenshot : LINK

I understand, I thought the bios doesn’t detect it as a bootable device, so samsung 950 pro is recognized by any legacy bios as a boot drive?
I could still try booting it with clover

@agentx007 that FX60

Yes. The only precondition is, that the mainboard supports booting off a PCIe slot.

@agentx007 did you make any bios settings for clover? because for me it starts booting but it gets stuck

Standard clover needs NVMe drive to be GPT, and proper files present on EFI partion (usually created and hidden during EFI OS installation).
Also, I assume you already installed OS.
If not you need a UEFI windows image/USB to make it work with Clover.

Here’s a video guide I made some time ago (it’s made on Intel, but should work with S939 as well) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfkwgxLL2c

@agentx007 I’ve got to the point where i try to boot the windows 7 usb in uefi mode witch clover but when i insert usb clover freezes then if i remove it resumes, if i boot with usb stick inserted it doesn’t reach the boot screen

Well, I did had to use Industrial CF card with IDE adapter on S939 (because DFI board I own, doesn’t have USB booting).

Did you copied the updated bootx64.efi file ?

I can boot usb on a8n sli se motherboard without clover, and clover boots but when I insert another usb it freezes if I remove it it comes back

there is also the problem that I can’t find a driver for HP EX900 SSD for windows 7 :frowning: I found something that it could work with Intel 760p driver but it doesn’t
ant ideas :slight_smile: @Fernando

@danydani90 :
If you want to install Win7 onto an NVMe SSD, you have to integrate the related MS NVMe Hotfix (look >here<) into the boot.wim and install.win of the Win7 ISO file before you start with the OS installation.

I’ve integrated the NVMe Hotfix still doesn’t detect it, but if I install windows 7 on sata with no internet connection it detected the nvme ssd and it is using a driver from microsoft

@danydani90 :
If the NVMe SSD is not shown within the "Disks" section of the Device Management, there is something wrong with the connection of the SSD.
To be able to use the NVMe SSD for storage purposes or as bootable system drive, the related NVMe Controller must be listed within the "Storage Controllers" section.

@Fernando It is detected in Device Management, my problem is that the windows I just installed on hdd is not detecting the nvme when installing, now I’m even using a motherboard with UEFI, I must have missed something when patching windows 7 iso

I’ve found an iso with all updates and it works perfectly

I was doing it wrong I was adding the hottfix only in install.wim i had to do it in boot.wim also and i’ve integrated both KB2990941 and KB3087873.
I was thinking of adding an ide to compact flash adapter only for clover :slight_smile: