[OFFER] Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO (Z87) compl. mod v1603

So running with a ASUS ROG RTX 2080Ti would not be recommended from what I understand ? I can’t utilize both @ full speed ?

Either way, hats off to all those that had a hand in this MOD, very nice work ! That’s about the only thing this board lacked many years later. I’m running 2 X 250Gb Samsung Pro SATA SSD’s in RAID0 (Yes I perform image based backups daily) and it runs well Read 850’s / Writes low 400’s, but nothing like those NVMe speeds.

@Cire3

Your board has two PCIe 3.0 slots. You could easily populate the first slot with your preferred graphics card; while using the second slot to hold the NVMe adapter and NVMe SSD drive.

You could easily run the Asus ROG RTX 2080Ti in slot one; but at this point I’d wait till the RTX 3090 comes out in the Aug-Oct timeframe if you are a hard core gamer.

Remember, the majority of CURRENT games don’t take advantage of upwards of 10 cores etc. so you could probably skate by without doing a massive upgrade for a few years yet.

Enjoy the BIOS/UEFI from all the folks at “Win-RAIDers” and yours truly!

JackRackham.png

Cheers

Good point, and thanks for the response. Yea, I already have the 2080Ti, so it’s hard to justify replacing this rig when I’m really only missing the NVMe. Not to mention the days of software installed with all my servers, etc…

Perfect upgrade and it would make the wife way happy as my normal builds are hard to hide $$$ :slight_smile:

Again thanks !

Hi guys,

I’m new to this modding. Is the bios in the first post the latest one without RAM issues or should I install the one in post #39? Do you suggest using USB flashback as flashing method? Thanks

Edit: I managed to flash the latest July bios and everything seems to work fine! How can I check if everything is updated (microcode, etc.)?

@carlese

You can run a program like HWINFO or AIDA64

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

https://www.aida64.com/

Both programs show which microcode is being used at UEFI/BIOS level.
As you’ve discovered I updated the beginning post #1; so that is the corrected file for future readers.

Cheers

I can’t find the options to show microcode in both programs unfortunately…

@carlese

when you open a program like HWINFO you will see the CPU on the left hand side of the splash page.
3 lines down you will see "Codename" and immediately to the right you will see "µCU" or microcode.

Hope that helps…see sample picture below of my still running, 12.5 years later, Asus P6T.

Asus P6T still working after all these year!.jpg

Ok I checked and bios is update, thanks! Now I bought a NVME and adapter and will place it in the red PCI slot, but what about the SSD I already have? I want to transfer everything from there and only after I want to install Windows on the NVME, but I read some posts saying that I need to unplug all the drives and leave only the NVME with CSM disabled to boot… Thanks for your patience!

@carlese

You can hook up your other drives AFTER doing the install on the NVMe drive; with the proviso that you convert any MBR(Master Boot Record) drives to GPT (Gui Partition Table) before you install your secondary drives. The reason for this is MBR drives will not be "seen" or play nicely in a UEFI environment.

Cheers

My SSD is already GPT, so what I wanted to do is hook up the NVME with the other SSD connected, initialize the NVME in windows and then proceed to install Windows on the NVME and format the other SSD partition with Windows inside. Is it possible this way?

@carlese

Given you’ve just done a BIOS update; your standard procedure best bet, is to do a “clean install” on the NVMe drive, and the copy over the files programs from your existing SSD.

This avoids a host of potential glitches.

Cheers

Since I flashed the modded bios something strange is happening to my PC… After some time, maybe a few days maybe a week, my monitor turns on only when windows starts and I cannot go in the bios settings nor choose the boot options. The only way to fix it is to remove the battery and reset CMOS, after that and a lot of struggle (my Logitech G502 doesn’t click, I have to reboot a lot of times) everything goes back to normal. This has never happened in 5 years, only after flashing the modded bios. What can I do?

If weird things happening simply revert to original 1603. hancor’s(first post) and mine(>>here<<) modded bios are same I think. For the last shot you can try one of them which you haven’t tried yet. I’m still on this rock solid z87 board but it is time to upgrade.

So my best suggestion can be upgrading your system. For now I still can’t decide to go with amd or intel. AMD 5000 series have WHEA errors now, random hard reboots, ram compatibility issues etc. In old times there were a good silicon and regular silicon. If you have a good silicon you can go high OC. If you don’t have a good silicon there were no problem, It was working rock solid. Now If you have a bad/regular silicon your AMD 5000 processor is not working stable.

For AMD, motherboard side is also problematic. All brands have unstable bioses currently. They are erasing published bioses like deleting tweet :slight_smile: Slow boot times, USB connectivity issues, LAN issues etc. There are lots of complaints on official forums.

I feel I’m more close to Intel again. So consider your upgrading path carefully.
~Best

A post was merged into an existing topic: [Release] Resizable BAR DXE driver

Hello, I am not sure where to go with my problem.
I have used my own mod for the past year maybe two. But only now it started behaving weird.

So I downloaded this mod in the top post but my problem still persists.

my problem is that I get “whea uncorrectable error” A LOT, this has been happening for only 3-4 days which was when I got (I wasn’t using this PC for the past two months, completely off, unplugged from the wall, not sure if this has anything to do with it)

Things I have done
Tried a different BRAND NEW nvme ssd ( same model as I got a few of them on a really good discount from amazon, Seagate firecuda 510 1TB, so they aren’t trash bottom fo the barrel drives or at least I hope.
I also tried a new adapter, and a different motherboard slot, previously was using the last pcie 2x4 but now switched to the red one and getting the full pcie 3x4 but same issue, tried the adapter and ssds on both pcie ports.

Flashed moded bios multiples times and I even created a new one but same issue.
with a ton of cmos reset using jumper and removing battery
Installed windows multiple times 10 and 11
ran windows memory diagnostics on standard but no errors.

Sometimes when I get the error and restart, the ssd isn’t detected in the bios and I can’t boot, I get error code Q99 with BOOT DEVICE LED (LEDs beside the 24pin motherboard cable)
That’s why I swapped for a new SSD and adapter as I thought the problem is from a malfunctioning SSD.

@TODO
Redo of the NVMe mod with the updated module NvmExpressDxe5.Ffs
Cheers
Hans

EFI ROM updates:

Microcode updates:

NvmExpressDxe5.Ffs insert:

Enjoy the update, hope that works for you.
I’d also do a memory check to see if you have bad memory module.

Cheers
Hans
M6H.zip (5.2 MB)

Hey team, I see there hasn’t been any replies to this thread since Hancor’s latest update.

No outstanding issues and reasonably safe to flash?

Worked fine for me…

There is a mention of a 1902 BIOS for this board on the Asus forum, but it may be a typo, as I don’t see that Asus released one. But it would be nice for TPM 2.0 support if it did exist.

1 Like

At page 1-6 of your manual you will find that your motherboard supports a 20-1 pin TPM module.
This is for version 1.2, which allows you to upgrade to Windows 11 version 22H2.
Win 11 version 23H2 requires TPM 2.0 but it was a no go on my Z87 Deluxe.
You can see my experience here: