[OFFER] Gigabyte GA-AX370-Aorus Gaming 5 BIOS mod

The P-States are less flexible with these boards, pretty much just select one of the P-State values and the CPU will stick to that preset. I don’t use P-States and haven’t got around to testing them yet so someone who has would be better off commenting. Dynamic vcore is in with the other voltage options, see post #70.

That will teach me to follow blindly and not choose my own mobo. This is the first board since my first build in the days of 486dx that I didn’t select myself. I got this board because a friend bought one and I had no idea Gigabyte were so pish on execution.

Do I stick with it or ditch it and buy an Asrock?

My last PC was i5 2500k and I used offset voltage OC. Expected to do the same with this system!

The P-States are less flexible with these boards, pretty much just select one of the P-State values and the CPU will stick to that preset. I don’t use P-States and haven’t got around to testing them yet so someone who has would be better off commenting. Dynamic vcore is in with the other voltage options, see post #70.

Dynamic Vcore is on the main voltages page but is always greyed out and can’t be adjusted.

Dynamic Vcore is on the main voltages page but is always greyed out and can’t be adjusted.

That will teach me to follow blindly and not choose my own mobo. This is the first board since my first build in the days of 486dx that I didn’t select myself. I got this board because a friend bought one and I had no idea Gigabyte were so pish on execution.

My last PC was i5 2500k and I used offset voltage OC. Expected to do the same with this system!

Basically any mainboard you buy from any of the other big manufacturers will be superior to the Gigabyte board in almost every way. Asus while good do tend to have a rather high failure rate in my experience while every Asrock board I’ve had (5 so far) is still functioning perfectly and UEFI support has been top notch for them. I haven’t used MSI boards in a while but I do hear they have upped their game significantly as well although their UEFI support is still a bit lacking, nowhere near as bad as Gigabyte though, positively good in fact by comparison. You might also want to check out some of the Biostar boards, I’ve heard good things about those when it comes to UEFI support. Biostar even delayed the release of their boards because they didn’t think memory support was up to snuff. Can’t say fairer than that really.

Regards your offset voltage issue, have you set fixed vcore to "Normal"? The offset option should then become adjustable.

Basically any mainboard you buy from any of the other big manufacturers will be superior to the Gigabyte board in almost every way. Asus while good do tend to have a rather high failure rate in my experience while every Asrock board I’ve had (5 so far) is still functioning perfectly and UEFI support has been top notch for them. I haven’t used MSI boards in a while but I do hear they have upped their game significantly as well although their UEFI support is still a bit lacking, nowhere near as bad as Gigabyte though, positively good in fact by comparison. You might also want to check out some of the Biostar boards, I’ve heard good things about those when it comes to UEFI support. Biostar even delayed the release of their boards because they didn’t think memory support was up to snuff. Can’t say fairer than that really.

Regards your offset voltage issue, have you set fixed vcore to "Normal"? The offset option should then become adjustable.

Hi,

I only built this system a few weeks ago but of course it would be too late for me to send the Giga board back I guess. I’d have to sell it and get an Asrock. I built a system for someone with MSI board years ago. Nice looking board it was but had issues getting it overclocked too far. Could have been CPU… I only had limited time.

Never had an Asrock before but I recall they were always in the news for overclocking records broken on LN2.

Only board I ever had die on me was an EVGA just within the 3 year warranty period. EVGA had excellent comms with users and were very open to improving mobo bios based on user suggestions. But they don’t have any AMD boards. I will look into changing to an Asrock.

You were right about the "Normal" setting. I overlooked that option. :slight_smile:

Hi ket,
Firstly, thank you for your work.
While I am researching on boards for a week, I found that almost every manufacturer has problem about voltage swings. Some of them performs better regulation in auto mode but main problem arise probably due AGESA and will probably fixed later with updates.

I am planning to buy miniITX Ryzen 1700 to overclock. While I am searching boards, I decide to buy GigaByte “Gaming WIFI” board which similar to “Gaming 3” but in miniITX. I saw you don’t add support for it. Might be you can add support for it later. Just message here to ask if there is a hidden menu for enable P-State overclocking with “Gaming WIFI” board. But from those I read here, I think it doesn’t came soon and not possible to add support for it via hidden menus. Indeed Gaming WIFI is decent board for me. I just like MEM support. Opponents (including ASRock, BIOSTAR) cannot clock their RAMS proper, even with increased voltage. Hard to see 3200 MHz. But Gigabyte WIFI able to clock same RAM modules with 3600 mhz with stock voltage.

But I didn’t not know that Gigabyte support is non existent. It’s sad to see they do not care their products, like Samsung…
Now I cancel to idea of buying Gigabyte board due they have bios issues and don’t give enough support.
I think it’s better to wait ASUS’s ITX AM4 MB.
Regards,
Erdem

Unstable voltage isn’t something that can be fixed in software code, you can skew VRM values a bit (likely what the LLC options are doing) but you can’t fix it. The problem is in the hardware, poor VRMs, not enough of them, a generally poorly designed voltage regulation circuit, these are the most common causes behind bad voltage stability. There are plenty of AM4 boards with rock solid voltage stability the Aorus boards are not among them. I’ve mostly tested Asrock boards on AM4 so far but all of them have had exceptionally stable voltage regulation. Memory I’ve tested on some boards, mostly the K4 Gaming using UEFI 3.0 and had a kit of 3200MHz CL15 RipjawsV running 3066MHz 14-14-14-25 1T. I do need to go back to that board and test higher frequencies but time is in short supply for me at the moment. I won’t be making any more modified UEFIs beyond the ones I’m already doing and I might cut back on those as well as there only seems to really be 3 boards people are picking up from Gigabyte.

Hi,

I only built this system a few weeks ago but of course it would be too late for me to send the Giga board back I guess. I’d have to sell it and get an Asrock. I built a system for someone with MSI board years ago. Nice looking board it was but had issues getting it overclocked too far. Could have been CPU… I only had limited time.

Never had an Asrock before but I recall they were always in the news for overclocking records broken on LN2.

Only board I ever had die on me was an EVGA just within the 3 year warranty period. EVGA had excellent comms with users and were very open to improving mobo bios based on user suggestions. But they don’t have any AMD boards. I will look into changing to an Asrock.

You were right about the "Normal" setting. I overlooked that option. :slight_smile:

Hopefully you can at least overclock a little more successfully now :wink:

If anyone has figured out how to get offset voltage/p-state overclock working… please let me know. Even when I dial in offset and set the p-state number in the mod bios the voltage and clock speeds are locked at 3.9ghz.

Could be the P-States just aren’t working. Gigabyte have put AMD Agesa code through the blender completely tearing it to shreds thus introduced all kinds of bugs exclusive to Gigabyte. Other manufacturers I’ve seen have simply stuck with the Agesa layout and added to it whereas Gigabyte appear to of torn it apart piece by piece adding unnecessary development time and bugs.

Here is some hint using odd multipliers, not p-state but might help little.
http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1720/ryz…feature-request

Pretty sure this will be my last Giga board now. I bought a giga board back in the days of Wolfdale and it had all kinds of fan speed bugs. Would falsely report fan speed dropping to zero. Brother had same mobo and same issue.

Here is some hint using odd multipliers, not p-state but might help little.
http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1720/ryz…feature-request

Thanks for that. I added an extra .25 with C-states global on and C&Quiet… No clock throttling back. Might try adding another .25

Pretty sure this will be my last Giga board now. I bought a giga board back in the days of Wolfdale and it had all kinds of fan speed bugs. Would falsely report fan speed dropping to zero. Brother had same mobo and same issue.

Good call I’d say. Gigabyte need to sort themselves out and get their act together, they are trailing even MSI and I’d call them a third tier choice. I’d even put Biostar ahead of Gigabyte which optimistically puts them in 5th position in my book. Asrock, Asus, MSI, Biostar, these are all manufacturers I would consider before even giving Gigabyte a single thought.

GIGABYTE - Matt
GIGABYTE Staff
about an hour ago
Hi all,

New BIOS for you guys to try with the Gaming K7: F7B

This BIOS includes custom P-states. If you have a chance please give it a shot and give us your feedback. Note that custom P-states have a higher priority than BIOS settings. IE if you change a multiplier through P-states it takes priority over multipliers set in BIOS.

From de gigabyte forum usa… it’s in the first post for download.

That’s great… except I don’t have a gaming 7. I have a gaming 5. :slight_smile:

If they don’t release for 5 as well then I will certainly ditch the board and go Asus, Asrock or Biostar.

That’s great… except I don’t have a gaming 7. I have a gaming 5. :slight_smile:

If they don’t release for 5 as well then I will certainly ditch the board and go Asus, Asrock or Biostar.

Chances are using the modified DOS flash tool included with my modded UEFIs you can straight up flash the K7 UEFI. PCB looks identical for the Gaming 5 and K7, features are even identical with the exception of the K7 "officially supporting" 3400MHz RAM OCs lol. Just check out the side by side image and you’ll see what I mean. I have actually toyed with the idea of seeing if I can get a K7 UEFI up and running on a Gaming 5 it shouldn’t be hard at all. I’m certainly not one for the tin foil hat but it seems awful convenient that I release my modded UEFIs and magically the Aorus boards seem to start getting the attention they need from Gigabyte.

Hi Ket,

Yes, they certainly do look identical and I agree. Wooden surprise me also if they’ve suddenly been motivated to release P-state bios because of your work.

I’m curious to see now if the 7 Bios does work on 5!

Let me know how that goes, if it does flash using the DOS tool included with these modded UEFIs I’ll put something custom together. Might try myself later if I can find some time.

Let me know how that goes, if it does flash using the DOS tool included with these modded UEFIs I’ll put something custom together. Might try myself later if I can find some time.

I have some newz… Since building my Ryzen 1700 some weeks ago I’ve been running it on my Intel system windows 10 installation. Today I got around to installing Windies 10 on the NVE SSD, installed HWInfo and as soon as I ran it I see the core speeds changing between 3.95ghz and 1.5ghz and a number of steps inbetween. So it looks like the P-states are working or perhaps it was the odd multiplier frequency trick mentioned previously around here. I will change it to even multiplier later and see if the P-states still work… if they do then we know it’s because of your bios mod. Idle CPU temp is now 25c (was 28 - 30c on the old windows installation SSD).

I have some newz… Since building my Ryzen 1700 some weeks ago I’ve been running it on my Intel system windows 10 installation. Today I got around to installing Windies 10 on the NVE SSD, installed HWInfo and as soon as I ran it I see the core speeds changing between 3.95ghz and 1.5ghz and a number of steps inbetween. So it looks like the P-states are working or perhaps it was the odd multiplier frequency trick mentioned previously around here. I will change it to even multiplier later and see if the P-states still work… if they do then we know it’s because of your bios mod. Idle CPU temp is now 25c (was 28 - 30c on the old windows installation SSD).

Thats good to know. I don’t know of other boards that have that P-State clocking problem I’d have to test some of the other boards I have. Knowing how extensively Gigabyte are pulling AMDs AGESA code apart I’d be inclined to say its yet another Gigabyte self-inflicted bug (thats not to say it is however), I wouldn’t believe their spiel about "competitors pulling the feature" for a single micro-second either as the contacts I have not only have not mentioned P-States being pulled, they have not said it is even being considered and with all of the boards I have for testing with the latest UEFIs available they all have the P-State overclocking feature so at this time I’d say what Gigabyte are saying is just to try and cover their own lazy arses and the real truth is just that - them being lazy and not being arsed to add P-States despite the rampant requests for it.

No matter what I try, I always get the same error. Can’t get your drivers to work.