[OFFER] Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming UPD + Completely Revised Blue Theme

@Shonk - Ohh, I thought you said all OK in above notes about the last BIOS version.
RST being used in RAID mode or not does not matter, it’s AHCI functions will be applied, and that setting needs set as I mentioned (we confirmed this is the 4Kn boot fix in the other thread I linked you to before)

Bravo! That‘s so beautiful!

@June_Da_Pek - Thank you very much! It’s very time consuming work. Next one, I will do black blue and maybe white/orange

That’s pretty cool and sorry to revive your thread but I somehow ended up here after becoming once again confused and forgetting whether ‘true’ or ‘yes’ was correct for useplatformclock and realizing they were still interchangeable, because wow people use true a lot even though the documentation specifies yes/no.

However, I have to comment on the testing you used. CPU-Z’s timers are good for loooong checks of stability, by actually running them, not just looking at the QPC timer. It was version 1809 that caused that timer issue to make it show 10mhz. It is unrelated to anything else, and it is not fixable in the bios or anywhere else. They changed something fundamental with how the QPC timer reports its frequency in 1809. I am dualbooted on 1709 and 1809 right now and can go back and forth from 10mhz to 3.xx with the same exact bcd edits.

You aren’t generally looking for the lowest number- just the most stable combination of tscsyncpolicy, useplatformclock, useplatformtick, disabledynamictick, and the hpet option in BIOS. You need to run a game or program that actually is heavily affected by its use or misuse to see changes- though for me, having the clock on and hpet on makes everything hell. This will be variable by CPU, version of windows, and the program. TimerTest 1.4 (there are other ways, but I like how it does the timer pull) is the quick and dirty way to do it, + I see some correlation in the cpuz scores themselves, but not always. YMMV, but my conclusion was always, and has been since, ‘disable hpet and delete all the values, don’t even bother with no, they are for debugging like ms says they don’t help’.

quick and dirty test i did when i was setting up my stuff for potential 3080 this week.

*differences, added that in too quickly, my mistake

Since you didn’t seem to know about the 10mhz thing it might be useful to know that, imo, nothing changed, the timers still react the same, it just says 10mhz instead of what it used to show and some people think it feels worse overall, I’m not so sensitive as that, but I can read numbers at least. My tests were not very thorough, but the answer just reaffirmed my prior tests that were much more thorough, in that ‘it doesn’t matter’ unless you are using a program that HATES hpet and platformclock on’, but my windows always did, so its unbearable to even test

This was on an intel board, 8700k @ 4.7core and 4.7 uncore (i think lol i kinda forgot but those cpu-z scores make sense if so) with hyperthreading on, ram at default xmp with CR1 3200mhz, 2070 super. (not a gigabyte board tho I specifically found one that had hpet on it… but that might be a myth soon)

I like the design btw wish msi boards got anything more than CLICKING

@felicity - Yes, you can use Yes or TRUE, either one works.

I do not care about, or get bothered by anything HPET related, so my testing is limited to showing user enabled or disabled.
This is because users cannot see the setting when I disable, so may not “Feel/Think” anything changed since they cannot physically change it in BIOS themselves, so this way of testing is a quick way to show which method BIOS/OS(via BCD)/Both = best initial simple result.
Thank you for your details testing and info, this will help others! None of that makes any sense to me, since I’m not bothered by HPET so not familiar with any of that.

10Mhz thing, changes, based on my testing, 1809 OS bug only or not, changes are reflected if BIOS disabled HPET vs BIOS NOT Disabled HPET. See the bottom set of my test image
Now, the actual proper value you’d see if not for that bug may be different with other OS, but it’s not relevant to why and how I tested and showed those results/info.

Thanks! MSI BIOS GUI can be redone too, if you wanted to put the time into redoing all the images and finding where the text color codes are stored etc.

Just got this mobo, can you please reupload modded bios? (HPET default). Seems like all links are down…

@dartraiden - Thanks for heads up! Yes, sorry, Tinyupload the main host has been down for more than a week now, hopefully they come back soon!!
Sad to also see the other mirrors down now too!
I’ve added two new mirror links for each, check first post

Hope you like the new theme!

Moar bugs (in addition to those described in the first post):

# it’s possible to enable SecureBoot at the same time with Setup Mode (when there are no keys at all):
Select “Setup Mode” in SB options.You cannot enable SB directly if keys are missing. but you can restore previously saved settings (saved when SB was turned on). Reboot and… mobo cannot start :smiley: It wil rollback to Backup BIOS after several unsuccessful start attempts.
fixed in F9l

# Mouse does not work in “Provision Factory Details” enabling confirmation window (“Press yes to proceed”)
fixed in F9l

# Long settings descriptions are cropped and remain cropped even if you drag and drop them
partially fixed in F9l

# If PTT (Protection Trust Technology) is disabled and you will restore a backup where this setting is enabled, it will remain disabled after restart

@dartraiden - Thanks for your findings, those secure boot things may be fixed in later BIOS, I am not sure, you’d have to talk about all that with Gigabyte after testing whatever the newer BIOS are that are out now. Same for PTT
On the description thing, yes, I noticed that, and some I’ve edited adding my own wording/comments too (and tried to work around that)
But different BIOS resolutions or screen sizes altered how it was wrapped, so I gave up because I could not find universal solution that worked at all BIOS resolutions

Connecting to monitor in different ways (HDMI/DP etc), and Secure Boot Enabled/Disabled CSM Enabled/Disabled all affect BIOS resolutions (These, due to vBIOS or UEFI GOP being used)
You can check the BIOS resolution changed by the fans being “squished” looking on the EZ Mode main page, and or by saving screenshot of BIOS (F12) and then compare resolutions of each image while taken in different modes
I gave up due to could not resolve the wrapping universally, nor could I find a way to add back the old option we used to have to be able to directly choose the BIOS UI resolution.

btw
> Network modules not updated due to this breaks Network BIOS config options no matter how the mod is done. I only tested updating both (UNDI + Boot Agent) at once, maybe only one causes this

EFI Intel Gigabit UNDI 0.0.24 - ok
EFI Intel Gigabit UNDI 0.0.27 and newer - breaks

Wow, awesome thread, thanks for all your effort + talent @Lost_N_BIOS ! Super impressive what you’re able to do.

@dartraiden - Thanks, I have not had time to test, but I noticed something in other BIOS that may apply to that here (network replacement)
Some BIOS break when replacing PE32 via MMTool or UEFITool (ie or UBU), but if you use that same PE32 and make a new updated FFS yourself and then replace with MMTool then it’s OK and does not break (probably UEFITool too, but untested)

@Coldblackice - Thank you very much, I really appreciate it! Only bad thing I noticed is how terrible I am at doing image work, on another monitor I see some issues with the logos I put in there (due to lighter blacks, I can see my terrible work there )
I plan to redo those sometime, but have not had time yet

Terrible shmerible… you’re too critical of your own work! It looks fantastic.

But what would be awesome is incorporating the new F11n BIOS from Gigabyte which unlocks the new "Resizeable PCIe BAR addressing" which will soon unlock greater GPU performance for Nvidia cards! :smiley:

I’d totally be willing to do the work on this myself and not trouble you for it, if you could offer some minor guidance! My guess though is that you’ll say it’s probably too much for a pleb like my to be able to do :wink:

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing, inspires me to start doing similar documentation for my tests/experiments. Any update on this since then?

Would you please share your modded intel dq77mk bios as bin files?

ok Lost_N_BIOS could you develop a bios mod for z390 gaming with PCH menu to modify the hpet?

The referred user is no longer an active member of this forum since 2020, read topics with similar requests (HPET disable, doesnt matter mb model) and you’ll find tips for the task in question.

EDIT: I was not referring any links as most of them are personal links and not recoverable, i advised you to look for guidance on mod your own bios by searching related info on the forum.

hello MeatWar the links are unavailable I don’t know where else to look