[OFFER] Skylake Non-k OC BIOS Archive

@antovm After a bit of hunting around I found BIOS 8002 on this page, with a mediafire link to Z170-P-D3-ASUS-8002.zip.

To prove this BIOS can oc non-k Skylake there is a validation for an overclocked 6400 with this BIOS here.

I have also added a new folder for the ASUS Z170-K D3 to the mega link in the original post of this thread in case the mediafire link goes down.

Thank you soo much :sunglasses:

Hello, @chinobino
Can you help me pls

I have MSI z170a tomahawk, i installed E7970IMS.12T bios normally, with m-flash.
At first overclocking was worked, i got 4.5 GHz on my i7-6700, then i reinstall windows. And now if i have bclk frequency > 100 i cant boot bios & windows normally.

I downgraded bios to another one, UI was changed to MSI Pro Series, looks as needed.
But experiencing the same problem, i set bclk 101 and pc rebooting so many-many times
Maybe somebody have any ideas?

I think it might be windows micro code updates, how i can prevent it or rollback? I saw few solutions but it is not working correctly.
I have official windows 10 on my PC now

I think, it probably was my cpu microcode update.
Maybe, I need use MCExtractor and then install earlier one microcode update
Or i need special bios for this?

Regards, Vadym

Hello, @chinobino
Can you help me pls

@vadymkutsenko Hi, yes I will try.

I have MSI z170a tomahawk, i installed E7970IMS.12T bios normally, with m-flash.
At first overclocking was worked, i got 4.5 GHz on my i7-6700, then i reinstall windows. And now if i have bclk frequency > 100 i cant boot bios & windows normally.

Regardless of which Windows version is installed you should be able to overclock baseclock in BIOS using E7970IMS.12T as this is before Windows even starts to boot. If 101 won’t work try another value such as 103 or 105, keeping in mind that your memory must also be capable of the higher clock speeds.

I downgraded bios to another one, UI was changed to MSI Pro Series, looks as needed.
But experiencing the same problem, i set bclk 101 and pc rebooting so many-many times
Maybe somebody have any ideas?

You should stick to using the E7970IMS.12T BIOS especially if it was working before. It has modifications and a specific combination of microcode and ME Firmware that allows baseclock overclocking.

I think it might be windows micro code updates, how i can prevent it or rollback? I saw few solutions but it is not working correctly.
I have official windows 10 on my PC now

Windows 10 will attempt to load a microcode that is later than the one in the E7970IMS.12T BIOS (56). The baseclock overclock should have already been running from boot at this stage and I do not know what happens when Windows attempts to override the microcode when the baseclock is higher than ~103 MHz - the system may face a BSOD or nothing may happen at all.

To use the earlier BIOS and microcode that allows bclk overclocking you should delete/rename the file ‘mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll’ on a Windows 10/11 system to stop it from overriding the older microcode in BIOS when Windows starts.

It is located inside ‘C:\Windows\System32’ and you will need to take ownership to rename/delete the file.

Note that this file will be restored if you run the system file check “sfc /scannow” or if a Windows update reinstates mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll.

I think, it probably was my cpu microcode update.
Maybe, I need use MCExtractor and then install earlier one microcode update
Or i need special bios for this?

Regards, Vadym

It 's not just the microcode - there are specific changes to the E7970IMS.12T BIOS as well as the microcode and ME firmware combination.

1 Like

Hello again, i got some results and i want to share my experience

I reassemblied my pc again to z170.
At first, mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll was deleted, i had earliest one available firmware (1.0) for my motherboard
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-TOMAHAWK/support

Then i installed your modified E7970IMS.12T again.
I set around 4.400 MHz, first windows run was succesful, but i got 4250 MHz. After restart i could not run my pc anymore.

Then i installed newest one bios 7970v1E, and after E7970IMS.12T again

It was victory, i easy started my pc on 4250 MHz and it was so stable

Now i have ~4400 MHz, bclk 130, RAM = 2600, core voltage 1.320v

Max temp was 73C, i believe it is safe for my i7 6700

Thanks so much for a help, amazing forum

I hope my pc will be stable, but let’s see )

1 Like

@vadymkutsenko Very unexpexted that bios 7970v1E allows baseclock overclocking but if it works for you that’s great! Nice overclock too :+1:

1 Like

Good morning, i have new information

Yesterday i got 1 BSOD, and recovery process was started
Today, my pc did not start normally, he rebooted ~5 times and then ran normally 1 time

After that, I could not run my pc anymore.

I installed newest one bios 7970v1E, and after reinstall E7970IMS.12T
Now it works again

I fully disabled windows update service (at services.msc), ‘mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll ’ was not restored

I do not know, probably, some others windows 10 tools affect overclocking
Does anyone has some ideas?)

Regards, Vadym

If you are getting BSOD you may not have sufficient Vcore (or DRAM voltage if your RAM is being overclocked).

What did you set Vcore to?

1 Like

I have 1.325v for now and it is looks fine for first run after patching by E7970IMS.12T BIOS.
Only after first overclocked run I’m starting to have problems

I got bsod only once, when have much lower voltage.
I’m sure of the next bios parameters for my system:

• 34 multiplier
  • 130 bclk
  • 1.325 core voltage
  • 2600 RAM frequency

I want to deal with windows firmware updates :slight_smile:

I also set SearchOrderConfig value to 0 at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching

Secure boot was disabled at bios

And i changed Local Group Policies at Administrative Templates/Windows components/Windows Update:

mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll was deleted after reinstalling windows, windows update service was stopped as well

Or do you think it cause by wrong bios parameters?

The CPU may need more than 1.325 V.

Does the board have LLC (Load Line Calibration)? …and if so what is it set to?

1 Like

Thanks, i will try, i have used it before.
LLC is set to auto now, on my motherboard i have 2 options:

• Auto
  • Mode 1

I also tried to start with 1.340-1.350 V and it was unsuccessful too.

Overclocking works only once immediately after instaiiling E7970IMS.12T, after first run i cant boot bios with changed BCLK or Vcore parameters :cry:
Endless boot loop

I`m not sure yet, but it seems like success.

In additional to previous post, i did next manipulations

Windows manipulations:

1. set ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate to 0 at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

2. added AllowOSUpgrade at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > WindowsUpdate > OSUpgrade

3. changes my local policies at Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates

4. delete mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

5. disable windows update service

6. set SearchOrderConfig value to 0 at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching

Bios manipulations:

1. disabled secure boot
  2. 34 multiplier
  3. 130 bclk
  4. 1.325 core voltage
  5. 2600 RAM frequency
  6. LLC mode from auto → Mode1 (i have only one available option)
  7. disable C-states

Let`s see how long it will works normally. Maybe i missed some settings, it were so many attempts :slight_smile:

Thanks so much @chinobino for help

Additional screenshots:

Received results:

Bios settings:

Additional links:

Also i used:

@vadymkutsenko

For MSI BIOS LLC mode 1 is usually the most aggressive LLC mode for increasing voltage when under load - however with 1.325 V core voltage plus override mode with C-states disabled you should be pretty safe to not go over 1.40 V and keep your ~4.420 GHz overclock stable.

Looking good.

1 Like

@chinobino how can i check core voltage?

In CPU-Z i see Core Voltage 1.328 V, In hwinfo64 max possible value is 1.328 V too
Can i trust to CPU-Z or hwinfo64?

@vadymkutsenko

If you can see the motherboard’s VROUT (Voltage Regulator Ouput) in hwinfo it should show a similar voltage to 1.325 V.

There may be more than one VROUT so look at all the values.

1 Like

@chinobino Can i ask for a favor?

In theory, can you modify latest bios for my motherboard with changes, than contains in E7970IMS.12T?

7970v1E.zip (7.3 MB)
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-TOMAHAWK/support

I will try to experiment with core voltage more, but I`m almost sure that probles is not in (bios)UEFI parameters.
If new modified bios will not work, the next step i will try to downgrade to windows 7

I noticed few interesting facts:

• Posibility to boot pc normally will be affected in next 2-5 runs
  • Installing E7970IMS.12T after oldest bios does not take needed effect
  • Only installing E7970IMS.12T after newest bios does take needed “temporary” posibility for overclocking

Sorry if I`m annoing you :slight_smile: I just can’t accept the fact that my pc can works so productive, but microcode updates, windows capsule updates or something else prevent it.

It looks like next idea “Do you want perfomance? Go to store, spend your money for new configuration and be happy. Do not try to hack us :smiley:” © Microsoft (or Intel) :rofl:

@vadymkutsenko I did not modify any of these BIOS - they are all the original BIOS supplied by the manufacturer back in 2015/2016.

Intel was not happy with the vendors allowing non-k overclocking and told them to take the BIOS down (which is why you can’t find them on the vendor’s website anymore).

Any BIOS that supports Kabylake CPU’s is unlikely to be able to modified successfully (such as E7970IMS.1E0) as certain modules have been updated by Intel to disallow base clock changes above ~103 MHz.

Have you tried using the other BIOS I uploaded (E7970IMS.33T) for your motherboard? (It’s in the same folder in the link in the first post).

Thanks, i got, it is difficult

Yes, i tried to use E7970IMS.33T, but M-flash mode does not recognized bios-file as valid for instalation.

I just can not be able to see E7970IMS.33T at M-flash selection menu.

And I have one more question. When I downgrade bios, is it fully replacing all things by instalable bios? Or some things can left by previous-one? How it works?

Yes, i tried to use E7970IMS.33T, but M-flash mode does not recognized bios-file as valid for instalation.

I just can not be able to see E7970IMS.33T at M-flash selection menu.

I see. Thanks for reporting the issue.

And I have one more question. When I downgrade bios, is it fully replacing all things by instalable bios? Or some things can left by previous-one? How it works?

If you have updated to a newer BIOS it could be that the Intel Management Engine (ME) firmware is not being downgraded when you flash an older BIOS with M-flash.

If you can see the ME firmware version in BIOS, you should check whether it is v11.0.x.xxxx or v11.6.x.xxxx (or higher)

If it shows v11.6, v11.7 or v11.8 then it may be causing issues.

If you can’t see the ME version in BIOS you should download the ME 11 tools from this thread:

CSME System Tools v11

Use the MeinfoWin64 tool from a Windows command prompt to check which version is currently on the motherboard.

Hi, Thanks, i have used HWiNFO (this software was mentioned in post)

ME version is v11.0, Build 1194, Hotfix 0

Last hypothesis that i want to check is Windows UEFI firmware update platform (UpdateCapsule)

I have installed windows 7, according to the official documentation this version does not support it:

I will share the results in a few days, probably after weekend

1 Like