Ordered wrong replacement bios BUT the Z77 EXTREME 4 boots! Now...

I bricked my Z77 EXTREM 4 bios the other day trying to update cpu Microcode I think.
So I ordered a new chip but I did a mistake and bought the Z77 PRO 4 instead of my EXTREME version…

I was very surprised to see that the board now boots :smiley: but for some reason I can’t flash it now with the EXTREME bios.

I did try with Instant Flash and also by booting to a dos command line and then launching the Asrock .exe updater : nothing works :frowning:

if someone has an idea…let me know :slight_smile:

This is to be expected since your using wrong BIOS, you would need to edit Extreme BIOS to have the Pro4 BIOS ID since that is what BIOS is on your board now, then run through UBU and save, then you can flash this mod BIOS.
I will do this for you tonight, maybe today if I get time. Any time in the future you will have to make the same edits on new BIOS update too, since your BIOS will still have the Pro4 BIOS ID

@propergol - Please confirm, this is your board - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/
And this is the incorrect board/BIOS you have now - https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z77%20pro4/

Do you want the latest Beta or the latest regular BIOS used?

first many thanks for your fast answer.
Yep both boards are the one that I was talking about.

I SHOULD HAVE WAIT…a litle more because I have then done more damage :slight_smile:

I did try again UBU on my new wrong reference bios chip (the pro4) and injected new cpu MC in it, flashed, and it worked.
I was able to boot again multiple time into the bios change and save things etc…

Then I think by mistake I did launch again the instant flash, and…“same player shoot again” :smiley: I am now in the exact same position that with my first Z77 extrem4 bricked bios : locked on the screen RECOVERY UEFI PROCESSING CRASHLESS FEATURE…

with the progress bar stuck under the 2 ss of processing.

So now I can’t even boot on a freedos usb to use your bios :frowning:
Anyway let me know if there is something I could try (already clreared cmos, unplugged, removed every sata and pcie things etc…)

You’re welcome! Sorry I caught you too late again.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm… So bricked again? Sounds like you are not editing BIOS properly. Launching instant flash without selecting a file and choosing to flash BIOS wouldn’t brick the BIOS, it would sit there waiting for you to select a file to flash or to esc out.

If you cannot even boot to DOS, then nothing you can do. Unless you have another similar board that you could hotflash the BIOS in.

You should order CH341A + a U Type flat IC Chip extractor, and reprogram either of your BIOS chips with correct BIOS. That is what I would do, unless you do not have another computer to use while you wait on programmer delivery.
This is cheap, but takes a long time to arrive from China, unless you pay more and order from faster shipping option or close/local person. From China this would be $2.60 + $1, if you order locally probably looking at $8-12 for the programmer and + $2-3 for the extractor

I have already ordered a new chip and wasted my day trying to do something but I give up :slight_smile: I will wait for the new bios to arrive here :slight_smile:

but the reason why I ended 2 times on this "crashless" Asrock screen stopped progess bar must have something to do with new cpu micro code. I have a i7 2600K and did maybe 30 bios mod in the past using ubu without any issue.

Yes, BIOS modification doesn’t sounds like it’s being done properly. UBU does not always get everything perfect. Upload your mod and stock BIOS in same rar or 7zip archive and I will check it and tell you the issue, and fix etc.

mhhh just drag&droped the archive, I m not sure it get uploaded

here is a link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GEnq6P…5lSJxSPjYmMwy2W

To attach on the forum, you have to use the reply button on a post, then on advanced reply page on the right side you’ll see attach button
I checked your mod BIOS, and yes it’s not good mod BIOS so this would always brick the board on reboot after flashing from all I’ve ever seen when this happens.
Last/Main Microcode volume replaced incorrectly in PEI volume, padding file is removed, always = brick when I’ve seen people use BIOS modified like this.

uCode-ModBIOS-Issue.png

Here is fixed proper mod BIOS - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…173131348363429

Thanks a lot.
But is it my fault or UBU that has a bug?