[OUTDATED] PCI ROM modules (not AHCI/RAID related)

The ASUS Rampage III Extreme also has a Intel LAN with DEV_10CE and the Intel
LAN ROM v1.5.43 for DEV_1502 in the first post in this thread works with it.

@ Mangix:

Another option:
Open the DEV_1502 module with an Hex Editor like HxD and replace the hex code "02 15" by "CE 10".

Another option:
Open the DEV_1502 module with an Hex Editor like HxD and replace the hex code "02 15" by "CE 10".

And correct CS8 in offset 0x07

intpxe10ce.rar (38.4 KB)

I only corrected the device ID but it seems to work fine. What is the significance of the 0x07 value?

It is just correcting the checksum-8 of the OROM file. Since you obviously got the modded BIOS flashed without any error message, everything is fine for you.

What effects could it have using it as is without correcting the hex code?

There seems to be more than one hex code "02 15"

I take it you need to replace them all with hex code "CE 10"?

It may work with some (very similar) DeviceIDs, but not for all of them.

The most important DeviceID hex code of the Intel LAN ROM modules is at offset 40 after the hex code "86 80". AFAIK all other DeviceID hex code entries are less important.

It may work with some (very similar) DeviceIDs, but not for all of them.

The most important DeviceID hex code of the Intel LAN ROM modules is at offset 40 after the hex code "86 80". AFAIK all other DeviceID hex code entries are less important.

It is this hex code here only that is important and needs to be changed to "CE 10"?

Obviously yes, because this is the only "02 15" hex code, which has been changed to "CE 10" within the DEV_10CE OROM SoniX had attached.

Obviously yes, because this is the only "02 15" hex code, which has been changed to "CE 10" within the DEV_10CE OROM SoniX had attached.

The strangest thing thought is I have checked the hex code after "86 80" within the Intel LAN
ROM module of the official BIOS for my board and the hex code is actually "CD 10" not "CE 10"

MMTool says the Link Device ID of the Intel LAN ROM module is 10CE.

The MMTool doesn’t read the hex code entry and just shows the VendorID and DeviceID, which have been edited while integrating the related OROM module.

The MMTool doesn’t read the hex code entry and just shows the VendorID and DeviceID, which have been edited while integrating the related OROM module.

I take it since HxD says the hex code after "86 80" within the Intel LAN ROM module of the official
BIOS for my board is actually "CD 10" not "CE 10" I should then replace the hex code after "86 80"
within the Intel LAN ROM v1.5.43 for DEV_1502 ROM module "02 15" by "CD 10"?

If you are sure regarding the exact DeviceID (you should check it from within the Device Manager), you can do it. Additionally you should correct the checksum-8 by customizing the offset 0x07.

If you are sure regarding the exact DeviceID (you should check it from within the Device Manager), you can do it. Additionally you should correct the checksum-8 by customizing the offset 0x07.

The exact DeviceID when checking within the Device Manager is 10CE.

How do you correct the checksum-8 by customizing the offset 0x07?

What do you search for in HxD to get the checksum-8 and replace it with what?

The code within the offset 0 at column 07 of the Intel LAN ROM is reserved for balancing the checksum alteration done by changing the hex code at any offset of the ROM file (e.g. by replacing "02 15" by CD 10).

If you have opened any ROM module by using HxD, hit the menue tab "Analysis" and then "Checksum …", checked the "Checksum-8" option, left all other settings untouched and hit the "OK" button, you can see the Checksum-8 of the entire ROM file. If you compare the checksum-8 of the modded ROM module with the checksum-8 of the original ROM module, you will see the difference. This difference can be balanced by changing the hex code at offset 0x07.

This OROM LAN does not affect the operation of your operating system.
It only works when the operating system is booting from a local area network. Therefore, the Device ID is different.

The code within the offset 0 at column 07 of the Intel LAN ROM is reserved for balancing the checksum alteration done by changing the hex code at any offset of the ROM file (e.g. by replacing "02 15" by CD 10).

If you have opened any ROM module by using HxD, hit the menue tab "Analysis" and then "Checksum …", checked the "Checksum-8" option, left all other settings untouched and hit the "OK" button, you can see the Checksum-8 of the entire ROM file. If you compare the checksum-8 of the modded ROM module with the checksum-8 of the original ROM module, you will see the difference. This difference can be balanced by changing the hex code at offset 0x07.

Where do you find offset 0x07?

I have tried putting in 0x07 in the Goto offset option but HxD doesn’t recognize it as a offset.

Perhaps I am not fully understanding what offset 0x07 is?

@ sinders
See the attached file intpxe10cd.rar
LAN PXE Intel 1.5.43 8086 10CD

intpxe10cd.rar (38.4 KB)

Thanks SoniX but could you please do the do the same modifications but with the bin format OROM module?

The version of MMTool I am using doesn’t support lom format OROM modules.

Thanks.

@ sinders
Just rename this file as you need.

intpxe10cd_bin.rar (38.4 KB)