P6T 10.1.0.1008 modified version replaced -> no trim in raid0

Hi !

First of all, thanks for this very usefull and informative forum !

I downloaded original 1303 rom for Asustek P6T motherboard (not the deluxe or se)
Then after reading this forum howtos, Replaced PCI-ROM for intel raid with modified 10.1.0.1008 version.
CTRL-I @boot confirm raid rom version is OK

Windows Seven 64 pro installation has been done on a Two drive ssd raid0 volume created after bios patch, with driver 10.1.0.1008 loaded when installing OS.
RST drivers 64bits from the same version (10.1.0.1008) were installed after OS finished first boot.

I selected the right PCI-ROM (intel raid), then hit “replace” tab with modified module.
I used Asus EZ flash to flash new modified flash.

Trimcheck and Fernando’s manual trim check does not confirm trim is working. The data is not suppressed with hex editor…

I read success on P6t as long as the modified raid rom is not more than 10.1.0.1008 because of the size of the module.
My case in not a success @ now.

Do you have suggestion ?

Thanks in advance,

fabi1

@ fabi:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Questions:
1. Which SSD models are the members of the RAID0 array?
2. Did you check, that the OS definitively sends TRIM commands?
2. Have you tried to trigger TRIM by using Anvil’s Strage Utilities before you executed the Trim check?
If your SSDs do support TRIM and the TRIM trigger had no effect, I recommend to install the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 and to recheck the TRIM activity within your RAID0 array.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for the advice.

1 : SSD Samsung evo 850
2 : Yes I checked that
3 : Yes but it did not work

I deinstalled 64bits raid driver 10.1.0.1008 and RST software as you suggested and installed unmodified WHQL 11.2.0.1006 driver and RST software.
Now TRIM is Working !

At now I stay with this configuration which is working.
However If I wanted to get a newer RAID PCI module, do you think removing PCI extenstion for jmicron on the P6T could give enough free space to replace Intel RAID PCI module 10.1.0.1008 by newer version without side effects. Which version could be a good candidate ?

With my working configuration on seven 64, can I expect a working trim in raid0 with the same volume on Windows 8 64bits (I will read forum pages about this subject when I have time).

Is there a link to a detailed explanation of the byte modified in the Intel PCI RAID module to allow TRIM in RAID0 ?

Best Regards,
fabi1

I have a MSI Eclipse SLI (which has a X58 chipset, too). There is plenty of space in the BIOS to insert bigger ROMs.
The problem here is, that the BIOS isn’t able to handle such big files properly.
I tested it myself. Instead of the BIOS loading the ROM and displaying the configuration info, the screen stays black and the PC locks up.

This verifies, that it is not enough to have a TRIM in RAID0 modded Intel RAID ROM within the BIOS. Additionally you have to use an Intel RST RAID driver v11.x.x.xxxx or up. Otherwise TRIM in RAID0 may not work.

You can try it. If it shouldn’t work, you can reflash the currently running and TRIM in RAID0 supporting BIOS.
The best Intel RAID ROM candidate for your system would be v11.2.0.1527.

No, why do you want to know that?
This sort of BIOS module modding is nothing for newbees, because any mistake may brick your system.

The problem is not the missing space within the entire BIOS, but within the BIOS section, where the Option ROM modules are located.
Only the mainboard manufacturer is able to solve this space problem by changing the complete BIOS structure.

I guess this means, that during the insertion/replacement process, the bigger OROM gets cut down to about 64KB?

All PCI ROM modules are stored within the BIOS in compressed form, but the tolerable compression rate without an impact on the functionality of the related module is limited.
That means: Even if you get a much bigger sized Option ROM module properly inserted, it may not work, when it has been extremely compressed due to limited space within the Option ROM area of the BIOS file.