p9x79 ws modding guide for ssd raid0 with trim.

Dear forum,

I am a somewhat of a noob in regard to bios flashing and modding, as I have only flashed some never bios versions to an old asus mobo, but that’s kind of all my experience.

I have the following rig: asus p9x79 ws; i7 3930k; 2 x 128GB samsung 830 (raid0) (and the rest of the stuff needed… 64GB ram, AMD 7950 …). My os is 7-x64 and I have installed it to a non-UEFI partition.

Now I would like to kindly ask you guys to have a bit of patience with me and explain the general steps to modding my mobo with a bios version to allow my raid ssd set-up to execute trim. I have noticed that the newer bios versions that are posted on asus’s page have a different extension .CAP instead of .ROM… All these news confuse me a bit… What do I have to do to execute the modding correctly? Update to the last bios version from the manufacturer’s website, and after that do the modding? the modded bios version is .CAP or .ROM? and so on…

Please guide me through this and I will be grateful. Thank you!
j.

@ jondoe:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Are you sure, that your current system doesn’t let TRIM pass through the Intel SATA RAID Controller into the RAID0 array? Have you already tested, if TRIM is working within the RAID0? Which BIOS configuration (RST or RSTe) have you chosen?
The actual ASUS BIOSes for your P9X79 WS mainboard (latest version: 4505) do contain the Intel RST RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936, which does support the TRIM in RAID0 feature. So there is no need at all to modify the BIOS.
All you have to do is to use the Intel RST RAID Controller (DEV_2822) configuration instead of the default RSTe (DEV_2826) one while entering the BIOS.

BIOSes with the extension .CAP are capsuled for more security to avoid a bricked mainboard by flashing a falsely modded BIOS file. If you want to flash a modded .CAP BIOS, you have to use the USB Flashback method.

Regards
Fernando

Does the official RAMPAGE IV GENE BIOS 4804 bios also have raid 0 trim support now ?

Do i select witch raid controller I want to use in the bios itself ?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded quoted text deleted (to save space and the Forum performance)

@ makkusu:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, if you choose the RST BIOS option. Regarding the RSTe BIOS option I am not sure (has to be tested).

AFAIK yes. After having entered the BIOS you can decide, if you want to use the original RSTe "Intel(R) C600 Chipset Series SATA RAID Controller" (DEV_2826) or the one, which has been switched to an RST "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller" (DEV_2822).

Regards
Fernando

Tyvm Fernando, couple of more questions:

Is there any advantage/disadvantage from using the DEV_2822 instead of DEV_2826? I wasn’t aware that the x79 had access to both chipsets. Then again I don’t know anything about hardware.

You should better ask users with an X79 chipset mainboard, not me.
AFAIK a lot of X79 RAID0 users prefer to use the Intel RST drivers (v11/12/13) instead of the RSTe ones (v3), because they seem to get a better PC performance this way. Another reason may be the lack of TRIM in RAID0 support from the RSTe drivers, but according to my knowledge the newest Intel RSTe drivers meanwhile do support this feature.

Hi,

so I use the 2822 device instead of 2826 because I found a much longer boot up and boot down time when using RSTe. Performance is nearly same, nevertheless RST is a bit better.

Regards hanson

Hanson,

Tyvm