Performance of the Intel RST/RSTe AHCI/RAID Drivers

@Fernando

Thanks to your heads-up, I was able to find and install v13.1.0.1058.

Edit:
Just spotted the Thanks button after making this post.

Hi Fernando,
I seek your advice as you are the expert on this matter : I’ve recently upgraded to Windows 10 ( Via a new clean installation, not the Win 7 to 10 upgrade feature ) and I noticed that my SSD’s performance was inferior to when it was on Windows 7. I assume this has to do with the default Windows 10 sata driver being used instead of the Intel one ? My motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V and my SSD is a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB.

@OshMmf : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
If you want to know which Intel RST driver I recommend to use with your Z77 chipset system, I recommend to do a look into the start post of >this< thread. Before you start with the comparison of different AHCI drivers, you should optimize the OS performance by following my tips (look >here<).
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

So if I got this right, for my particular motherboard I need to dl and install the Intel RST AHCI/RAID Driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL right ?

@OshMmf : The choice of the “best” Intel RST driver for your Intel Z77 chipset system depends on the SATA mode (AHCI or RAID). Please re-read the start post of >this< thread.

I did read EVERYTHING that you linked which is why I’m assuming the version I’m forwarding is the right one. And yes I’m in AHCI mode.

@OshMmf : If you would have read the linked post until its end (there is a table!), you would not have chosen the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006.

Jesus, so I missed a section in a 210+ lines of text post give me a break. What’s so hard about giving a straight answer ? But yeah I found it now. Thanks for beating around the bush.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Sorry to dig up >this< post but I also found this 6.2.0.1238 driver through Driver Booster and it really boosts my 860 EVO. The only problem is outside Windows 10 21H1, it boots slower and if you restart Windows the computer shuts itself off and then powers on again and proceeds. Anyone has this driver working fine? My mobo is MSI H110M PRO-VD.

Thanks

Edit by Fernando: Fully quoted long post replaced by the blue colored link to it (to save space)

1 Like

The performance test could do with an update comparing modern drivers (esp. the 17.x.x.x drivers but also the 18.x.x.x ones since many have moved on to Intel 500-series and upward) to + chipsets (and more modern drives including M.2 PCIe NVMe drives). I guess it depends on the hardware available to Fernando.

Or… users/members could report their own findings and specify their specific hardware and OS + driver setup/version that they are testing. Some standardization for settings when benching the performance should be defined to avoid invalid comparisons.

My suggestion would be:
Under Device Manager → Disk Drives → Properties (for the selected storage device) → Policies
Should be set to Windows default mode:
Enable write caching on the device: Enabled
Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device: Enabled (if SSD on SATA3 or M.2 PCIe), Disabled on HDD
(I don’t enable this option on my mechanical drives since they’re much slower and have a bigger risk of losing data if the OS freezes or crashes as well as any memory/cpu instabilities during write operations simply due to their write operations taking much longer than fast SSD’s)

And all tests should be done with the same disk benchmark with the same settings. This is something we’d have to decide together but I’m guessing it’ll be CrystalDiskmark which has become ubiquitous.
As members report their results the data could be compared. The more reports, the better the accuracy of the comparisons.

In the end it’s unlikely that any differences will be noticeable to the end user except in some fringe cases. The main reason to install Intel’s drivers is if the extra functionality is needed or if you’re using an Optane drive.

1 Like

Greetings to the entire Win-Raid Forum community ! Below my first post:

The “Tested AHCI drivers” section at the beginning of this post reads:

“Win10 v1809 in-box MS Standard AHCI driver named storahci.sys (dated 09/15/2018, shown as being dated 06/21/2016)”

Perhaps the correct date is 06/21/2006, that is what is shown in my computer Device Manager under “IDE ATA/ATAPI > Standard AHCI SATA Controller.”

If not, my storahci.sys version is 10 years old …

I doubt it that Fernando as made such mistake… Windows version?

EDIT: Then it may possible due the OS channel. I think Fernando adresses only consumer channel OS.

1 Like

I have Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC Version 1809 Build 17763.3232 fully patched.

Anyway, the real reason for my intervention was something else:

Although, as stated above, the date of the storahci.sys driver shown in my computer Device Manager under “IDE ATA/ATAPI > Standard AHCI SATA Controller” is 21/06/2006 , the creation/last modification date of the file found in “C:\Windows\System32\drivers” is 09/02/2022 (keep in mind that the OS was installed in January 2021).

Also, the digital signature of the storahci.sys file appears to be affixed on 19/01/2022.

How can be explained the differences between the dates shown in Device Manager and those in the storahci.sys file found in “C:\Windows\System32\drivers” ?

Well…i dont, ask MS. As a long as i achieve a stable, up to date system ill ignore this.

I suspect you have your own suspicious on some thing related to the OS image, origin of source…other issue, due to your carefully approach on a MS driver date/ digital signature… you dont even tell us what the HW you have or the SATA HW device id or why not using specific Intel/AMD driver…

Anyway sorry but its not an issue to loose time on it, maybe our forum founder Fernando can give you a little more inside of this, good luck.

1 Like

@glstor
Since several years all Microsoft drivers, which are in-the-box of modern MS Operating Systems, are wrongly dated 06/21/2006, although they are much newer (they were usually compiled at the same day/month as the OS itself. The reason may be to simplyfy the replacement of the generic MS driver by any later than 2006 released specific driver, which has been delivered by the manufacturer of the related device.
Note: The OS own Device Manager doesn’t check the exact date of a driver (= *.sys file), but just looks into the related text (= *.inf) file and shows the date, which has been edited there.

1 Like

@MeatWar
The origin of my Os installation is trusted, but reading Fernando’s initial post and doing some checking on the type of driver I was using, I was wondering why my storahci.sys was from 2006 while Fernando indicated 2016 as the date of the same driver.

For completeness, the source of the installation of my Os .iso file, is the Microsoft site for large corporate customers who have signed a Volume Licensing contract, so no doubt exists about the integrity of the Os image.

The hardware is an Acer Aspire V3-771 laptop with two 2.5-inch Sata drive bays, one port is Sata-300, the other one is a Sata-600 with a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB.

I am not using a specific driver for my Intel chipset because from research done when I’ve installed the OS (January 2021), Intel seems to have abandoned driver development for my chipset. The Microsoft driver works fine and, from the tests at the beginning of this post, it appears that the difference with the Intel drivers is negligible.

My chipset is recognized by Aida64 as Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family (North Bridge: Intel Ivy Bridge-MB IMC , South Bridge: Intel Panther Point HM77).

1 Like

@Fernando
Fernando you are absolutely right: the date 21/06/2006 is intentionally wrong to prevent Microsoft drivers from taking priority over manufacturer’s drivers, see link below

… it would be interesting to understand why Microsoft has been able to impose a digital signature requirement on manufacturers device drivers, and is unable to adopt a policy that prioritizes manufacturers drivers over Microsoft drivers without having to adopt the trick of the date set to 21/06/2006.

Perhaps an appropriate additional field in the driver .inf files the would have sufficed to avoid the date trick …