Please Add NVMe module to Asus P5Q Turbo bios

Hello all,

Just signed up here to potentially get a solution to my problem. Is anyone up to this challenge?

I have the old Asus P5Q Turbo(not Pro) motherboard running the Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 CPU. It’s all working fine and everything is functioning.

I recently listened to a friend and prematurely purchased an M.2 NVMe SSD and a PCIe1 adapter because my board doesn’t have an M.2 slot and has three PCIe1 slots. I wanted to increase my r/w speeds without upgrading everything. However the bios is too old to support NVMe technology nor does it have UEFI.

I read through my research and found that someone did this themselves: inserted a module into the bios file to enable NVMe protocol support so that the bios can detect the M.2 drive connected to the PCIe slot.

I cannot do this myself and was wondering if someone is willing to help as it sounded quite straight forward if one knows what they are doing.

I love my motherboard and my desktop is actually still a beast (not ever overclocked). Please help!

You can use the bios found on asus’s website and I’ll experiment with it and am willing to take the risk of flashing it to the version you provide.

I didn’t spend much money on the M.2 drive or the adapter however I really want to make this work as I’m looking for faster r/w speeds from my soon hopefully to be new bootable drive(the M.2 drive I’ve described!)

Thank you!

@lok123 - This is not possible if BIOS is not UEFI, the only way you can boot NVME is via USB bootloader methods linked below
[Guide] NVMe-boot for systems with legacy BIOS and UEFI board (DUET-REFIND)
[Guide] NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI bootloader method)
X58/LEGACY BOOTING FROM NVME DRIVES (PIZUSKI METHOD) (MOST QUICK&SIMPLE WAY)

Plus, due to this board being so old, you wont get very fast speeds anyway due to PCIE 2.0 would be the limit, so if you are lucky around 1200-1500 max, which is about half the usual NVME speeds of 3000
I would go ahead and start saving and window shopping an update board/CPU, you can get modern LGA1200 4C/8T CPU for $110 now, and boards for that around $65-100. It’s time, this board is over 10+ years old now, and modern systems are SO MUCH FASTER now than P45 era
If you just want to stick with current hardware, the above linked methods are your only way to boot from the NVME drive.