Powercolor RX470's - Black Screen on lga1155 boards.

Hello,
I have a problem with gpu’s which i’ve bought for 2 pc’s i’m building. two powercolor rx 470’s 4gb. So pretty much the problem is in the subject title.
The cards work flawlessly in my main rig (b450m mortar/r7 1700) but completely opposite on lga1155 i’m working on rn (one board is Asrock H61M-VS, the second is Intel DZ68DB). One kind member of discord i’m actively visiting tried to help me with guides from this forum (this one: >link<)
but it didn’t fix my issue unfortunately. Tried some common tricks aswell (like updating the asrock bios, flashing rx 470 to 570bios etc.), without a positive effect. Few facts i’ve gathered:
Tested a few cards with asrock board, HD3650, iGPU and RTX 2060 super works perfectly, but all polaris cards don’t,
On Intel board, same thing, except my personal Gigabyte RX570 which posts alright.
What should i do? Update/Remove/do something about GOP or tinker with the UEFI?
TBH I’m a newbie in terms of modding the vbioses and stuff so i would need a helping hand. Thanks for every response in advance and have a good one :slight_smile:

@Gemboy
Try to change PCI ROM Priority to Legacy ROM - modding bios to Support new GPU card

OK, gonna try it out and report the results. Thank you!

@Gemboy - If that does not help, upload a vBIOS dump, I will make you two new vBIOS to test, one with updated GOP and one with GOP removed (so legacy only)

OK, so i’ve unhid the csm options in the ASrock bios, tinkered a little bit with em, my personal GB rx 570 started working, but those rx 470’s don’t.

OK, I’m attaching a vBios from one of those 470s.

Ellesmere.zip (256 KB)

@Gemboy - Here is both - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…477508494937728
With GOP removed vBIOS, you cannot boot UEFI mode, so Secure Boot disabled, Legacy must be set and or UEFI with CSM enabled (legacy PCI option rom must be set as well, as mentioned by DeathBringer)
With GOP UPD, you can try either way, UEFI / Secure Boot enabled, or Legacy/CSM modes - PCI Option rom either way

OK, i’ve spent the entire day with flashing and tinkering with those options. No positive result so far :frowning: What should i do? On the pics are settings which worked with my personal gb rx 570.

@Gemboy - With GOP removed vBIOS, you need to disable secure boot, and have CSM + Legacy Video oprom sert.
With GOP UPD BIOS, you can test with Secure Boot Enabled or disabled, CSM enabled or disabled, legacy or UEFI set for Video option rom

Did you test the GOP removed vBIOS, with Secure boot Disabled, CSM enabled, legacy set at video Option Rom?

I’ve decided to give it a shot again & do it accordingly to your points. GOP removed wasn’t working, UPD BIOS started working after disabling safeboot, enabling CSM and switching the rest to legacy. When i’ve switched to that layout the mobo speaker stopped beeping (i had 5 beeps usually) at startup so i’ve decided to switch display for my main dvi-d one (i was working with a VGA monitor with VGA-DP adapter, it was one of the issues i think).
OK, one board & GPU is done. Now I’m going to tinker with my intel DZ68DB.

@Gemboy - Either one should only need Secure boot Disabled, CSM enabled, Video Option Rom set to legacy - If you want to boot legacy and don’t actually need Full Secure Boot/UEFI mode.
Yes, maybe adapter was adding to the issues somewhere in there
Glad you got it working now though

I’ve changed the boot option filter to UEFI and legacy, cause only legacy was a little hit or miss. Now should be alright or atleast i hope so :smiley:
Could you do me a last favor and update GOP for that vBios? I want to flash one of those 470’s into 570. I would be highly appreciated.
And don’t close the thread for a while, You never know when a problem or two gonna show up.Cheers guys

Powercolor.RX570.4096.170330.zip (256 KB)

I would not flash 470 vBIOS into 570, that’s taking it backwards? Don’t worry, we don’t close threads here, only in rare cases.
So, you want above attached 570 vBIOS w/ updated GOP?

* Edit - @Gemboy - Here is RX570 vBIOS w/ updated GOP - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…432901415574557
I see I got that backwards above, you want to use this in 470 card, correct

Oh, well. After doing stuff mentioned above the pc works good but… it doesn’t boot properly in a consistent manner. What i mean is, after unpluging the power from the psu, pc needs to boot about 2-3 times to show display. Sometimes after waking up the pc needs to be rebooted once-twice. If i would use that pc myself it wouldn’t be an issue, but it isn’t. There’s a way to fix that or is it just a dark flipside of modding a bios? :smiley:
Took a cpu out of a socket and one of the pins is strangely bent. Maybe that’s the issue.

IMG_20200623_123955.jpg

@Gemboy - It could be BIOS or ME FW needs updated. Or it could be due to memory issues, or memory/cpu overclock/settings issues
And or yes, it could be due to bent CPU socket pin, hard to say. Definitely fix that pin, use a metal tipped lead pencil without any lead in tip, carefully slide that over the pin and carefully shift it over to correct orientation.
Bend slow and careful, check, bend more if needed. Be very gentle, it will move easily and if you bend it too far and have to bend it back it may break off, so don’t try to move too far at once since you are not familiar with doing this. And be very careful you don’t bend other pins in process.

TBH, i’ve bricked ASrock h61m-s recently cause of a failed bending :x (RIP 2012-2020) I’m going to train on that bricked board. I can still return the board cooler and cpu and just look for something else. I’m a little scared to fail again :smiley: