[Problem] Can't read W25Q128FV Bios Chip

I’m trying to read W25Q128FV with a programmer: ch341 but it doesn’t work.

Edit by Fernando: Thread title customized and shortened
Note: Affected mainboard is the MSI Z170 KRAIT GAMING

Plenty of info provided…really helpful, im sure that some one can help u with ur simple statement.

As I said above, I use a programmer: ch341 to read the given bios chip.
I connected the chip with SOIC8 clips, I checked the connection many times, everything seems to be connected properly.
I use a laptop on which I use the program: AsProgrammer_1.4.1, but when I want to read/detect the chip, the program does not detect it.
I have not disconnected anything from the motherboard (components), the only thing removed is the CMOS battery.
Also, the computer is not connected to the PSU.
If needed I can provide pictures of my setup.

Theres plenty of other software that works with the CH341A and some have the chip on their support list others dont… if not on the software list device support it wont know the chip…ring a bell?
Plenty of info and software on forum, do a search.

Thanks for the answer, in general I will try to find a program that supports the chip.
My question is, should I remove certain components from the motherboard, or turn on the power supply? Is there an option in which the problem of not reading this chip may be the voltage?

Most of the time it’s bad contact of the SOIC8 clip, takes a while to get some training…

I have same problem. Please give me advise if you resolved it.

Use JSPI1

you could try with CH341A_1.18

Try with CH341A in combination with ASProgrammer 1.4.0. On my system it works.

@Manqcheto hey man, I’ve been suffering with this problem for a while now and finally got it all fixed and done with a w25q128fv today.

My W25Q128FV was on a Dell Lattitude E4740. This particular model had a series 0 serial number, which for some reason meant Dell’s customer service wasn’t able to generate a bios recovery code.

I ordered a CH341A off of Amazon that day and it finally arrived yesterday. I tried every different software I could find for the programmer as well as a bunch of different drivers because no matter what I did, I could not get the chip to detect, and every time I “read” the chip, all of the values were 00. I even resorted to downloading this sketch version of the software in Russian. NOTHING WORKED. I was starting to think I may have gotten a bad programmer.

So I had the same thought as you did, maybe I should give the board some power outside of the CMOS battery. So I tried reading the chip with the battery in, with the battery and AC power in, and even with the battery out and AC power in, NOTHING WORKED. I was beginning to start to get extremely discouraged until I found a write up where another person was having our collective issue. He pointed out on his post that in the W25Q128FV data sheet, the chip calls for a 3.3v data line power, these CH341A programmers by default output 5V to the chips.

Sadly I am not able to find the OP, but I did find the article he linked for the mod to “fix” the voltage difference.

5V to 3.3V mod: 3.3V CH341a Signal Output Modification [Chuck Nemeth]

I followed each step, including testing the same pins he tested in the beginning to verify my CH341A was in fact outputting 5V. It did, however not until Instructed it to perform a read on ASProgrammer 1.4.0, and it did take a second or two for it to actually get to 5V. My actual reading at first was around 4.98V but I am chalking that up to a inaccurate multi meter.

Link to ASProgrammer 1.4.0

So I followed the steps in the 3.3V mod article and what I noticed immediately was when clipping on the SOIC8 Clip was the Windows’ Device Plugged In chime as soon as the clip made half to full contact with the chip. ASProgrammer 1.4.0 was now able to detect and identify the chip, it’s storage size and all relevant info. From there I was able to read the chip, verify the contents of the buffer, save a backup of the contents from the chip, erase the chip, then reprogram the chip with the clean bios file.

I did catch a little bit of flack finding the right BIOS for my laptop. The first one I tried didn’t work, the laptop just refused to boot, however the second one I found online did work. I went along with my day installing Tiny 11, GRUB, and Kali all bypassing the admin password previously set.

The mod really isn’t that hard, here is a YouTube video of someone doing the mod if you are more of a visual learner and would prefer to see it being done completely in front of you before starting. Just make sure you have some good low melt solder and patience. A good fine tip iron really helps.

https://www .youtube.com/watch?v=HwnzzF645hA&t=887s

Cheers bud