[PROBLEM] How to open/modify/flash an Intel mainboard BIOS?

I will better leave it as it is, as i dont use Intel ME features, and i need this mainboard for work.
Never change a running system :slight_smile:

I am happy than everything is ok now, and i can use Ivy Bridge CPU.

Because Intel Mainboard does not have CMOS Jumper, it is recommended to load BIOS default settings and disconnect battery for 5 minutes for CMOS reset after BIOS update. Otherwise USB 3.0 (Renesas Chip) may not working.
Maybe this was the reason, why there were problems after updating to BE0099.

Thank you!

Intel Support now has send me .rom file 4MB, too.

BE0048.ROM, with empty MAC:
https://mega.nz/#!ocg3HDaA!bst1RQ3HAObnC…4Z1o2F2hi6fHS1A

So you can contact Intel Support if you need a ROM-file for external hardware programmer. :slight_smile:

Mm, interesting. At least Intel did that. We will suggest it at future threads as well then. Thanks for the info.

Hello, Guys

I have a Intel DG45ID and over the week I was trying to update the Option Rom from 8.0.0.1038 to 11.2.0.1527 but isn’t working. I downgraded, upgraded with the original file from Intel but I’m being able to flash when use the mod bios. I used all tools posted here.

I’ll apreciate any help.

Thanks

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa…te-IDG4510H-86A-

It’s not possible to mod .bio files like that due to signature checks. The only way is to use a programmer. After that, dump your own firmware, mod it and flash it back.

Which one do you sugest?

@ guigo21:
Welcomeat Win-RAID Forum!

As plutomaniac already has written, the modification of an Intel mainboard BIOS is extremely difficult and risky. That is why I do not recommend to try it your own.
If I were you, I would post >here< a BIOS modding request.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

It depends on the SPI chip that machine has. You can quickly learn that from the documentation or by using Flash Programming Tool with command fptw -i etc. Personally I own the cheap programmer that CodeRush suggested HERE.

Hello,
I have m/b Intel DG41TY with ICH7 chipset.
Recently I bought Xeon E5440 E0. But my bios is really old and doesn’t support E0 stepping. I looked in many places yet couldn’t find the way to mod and flash new BIOS.
AIDA64 says its AMI bios, some of the tools say that it is EFI / Insyde Bios, on some site’s its told that it have Phoenix Bios. Intel2Ami.exe doesn’t convert bios, saying theres no AMI string in file.
Is there any chance of mod? Or the only way is programmer, if possible?

Generally, Intel .BIO cannot be edited due to signature checking. If you have a programmer it would make everything so much easier. Otherwise, you can use AFU to dump your BIOS and then add microcode with MMTool or similar. You need AMIBIOS AFU to dump with command AFUWIN (or AFUDOS) dump.bin /O.

What if it isn’t AMI? Will it dump? Or other tools are needed?
I’m confused. intel2ami says it isn’t AMI, yet bios backuptoolkit v2.0 says it is AMI, and backup is .rom file.

Forget about intel2ami. If AIDA says it’s AMI, it’s AMI. Attach that dumped bios file you got. Try with AFU as well.

@ shnabs:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
Im am glad, that you got already support by plutomaniac.
Please change your thread title, because it is misleading. Your Intel ICH7 Chipset mainboard BIOS is a LEGACY and not an EFI one.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi All,

I’ve run into the issue of trying to RAID 3tb+ on an old Intel MSM option rom - which led me here. I’ve read for about 3 hours on this site, but feel I’m getting stuck. I’d like to add the latest ROM that would support the ability to create 3tb+ RAID1.

I have an intel server board s3200shv
bios here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gt8urowq080c2p…USDR15.zip?dl=0
or
bios here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product…-Board-S3200SHV

I determined the BIOS file was named R0052.cap (is this really the BIOS?)
I renamed to R0052.rom and opened in MMTool Aptio (4.5 and 5.0 both work)
I could not open the file with the UEFI Bios Updater tool (not a valid file)

I’ve attached a screenshot of the MMTool output, but can’t really seem to find the options that are discussed on the site (look for “such and such” line or content in the output)

Any guidance would be appreciated, I have a number of these boards and it would really extend their usefulness if I could get this working. Alternatively, I would be happy if someone could mod the BIOS for me into that ZIP file and I could paypal some money to them. I think I could just flash it using the Intel Deployment Assistant hopefully.

Thanks!
Mark

intel_s3200shv.jpg

Hello guys,

Can anyone tell me its possible to convert intel *.bio bios file to to *.bin for DX79SR motherboard?

Thank you

@socatech:
Please forgive my late reply, I obviously have missed your post. Nevertheless: Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, it is obviously a capsuled, but uncompressed BIOS file.

Have you tried to use the UBU tool with the original *.cap file? That should work, because the UBU tool uses the AMI Aptio MMTool 5.0.

I am not sure about that. It is not easy to circumvent the BIOS security actions done by Intel to avoid the successful flash of any modded BIOS. You will find a lot of posts about this problem within this thread.

@zyva :

It may be possible, but the problem is to get any modded Intel mainbard BIOS successfully flashed.
You will find a lot of similar requests and various replies within this thread.

@all:
Since there has been meanwhile a big amount of threads about the topic "Is resp. how is it possible to mod an Intel mainboard BIOS?", I decided to merge them into a new, stickied thread and to put all the scattered posts about the same topic into this thread. This way it may be easier for the users with an Intel mainboard to find a suitable answer to their question.
If you should find a thread, which I missed, please let me know it.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

It’s any chance to unbrick my Intel DH87RL motherboard? Recovery mode doesn’t work. Board was incorrectly flashed, I have SPI programmer, but I don’t have backuped ROM file.

I have an Intel DH77DF and stumbled upon this. Was brainstorming about the .BIO signature check. There is an official tool by Intel called ITK (Integrator Toolkit), which is EoL since end of 2015 (successor is planned though). It allows editing the .BIO file for a wide variety of Intel boards, like changing boot splash image, SMBIOS information and BIOS configuration.

Not sure, how ITK edits / signs / validates the .BIO files, but it’s a Windows application, which can be examined (and tricked) using debuggers. If anyone’s still interested in editing .BIO files, this might be worth looking into.

Hi, everybody. Maybe somebody knows answer? Is there any way to backup BIOS on working Intel motherboard? I tried BIOS backup tool - it fails, it gives wrong file. Can You advice any other program? It will be very useful - then before making any changes in BIOS I can backup it normally and flash with CH341A if bricking.

@tolga9009 and @ring00 :

Since the modfication of an Intel mainboard BIOS is very difficult and risky, we do not offer any guide about how to do it. I am sorry, that we cannot help you.
My recommendation: Post your request into >this< MDL Sub-Forum.

Good luck!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)