[Problem] M.2 Adapter linked NVMe SSD doesn't wake up after Sleep/Hibernation

I have successfully installed quite a while ago NVMe mod according to one of the guides from the forum.
I’ve done it manually while using latest bios version.
No problems with typical usage, however there is one with sleep / hibernation mode.

I am running drives on one PCIe ICY BOX IB-PCI215M2-HSL (PCIe X4) adapter for 1x M.2 NVMe and 1x M.2 SATA SSD drives:
1) NVMe WD SN550 1TB with macOS
2) M.2 SATA Micron 250GB whatever model with Windows 10

Adapter itself is sitting in the second PCI Express x16 slot.
As the board has 3 PCI Express slots they are populated like this:
1) PCI Express x16 Running at x8 (PCIEX16) - Graphic Card (Bandwidth cut in half from PCIEX16 because second PCIE x16 is populated)
2) PCI Express x16 Running at x4 (PCIEX8) - IcyBox Adapter with 2 M.2 Drives (NVMe & SSD)
3) PCI Express x16 Running at x4 (PCIEX4) - Sound Card

So, lets finally get to the problem.

I’ve noticed that while running configuration like this, macOS isn’t able to wake up from the Sleep Mode and actually same goes for Windows from what I seen.
Therefore I guess problem isn’t actually related to the NVMe Mod itself, but most likely I assume PCIe ICYBOX Adapter isn’t able to wake up from Sleep / Hibernation state.

Any ideas if there is a way to resolve this issue?

Also I am thinking now… I should probably ditch that sound card, move ICYBOX to PCIe x16 slot 3 and leave gpu alone. I will probably do that later on today.

PS. Sorry if the post is in the wrong category but pretty much I didn’t know where to place it properly.
Thanks in advance

Edit by Fernando: Thread title customized and shortened

You’re assuming that a new device is the issue… you cannot assume that a DXE driver module inserted in a bios just used in the system post is the cause, period.
This is an issue in your hackintosk very common with power management, you need patch/fix fot his, better start reading in dedicated forums like insanelymac or macrummors

So resuming and stating… this has nothing to do with the NVMe mod.

I think you completely misunderstood what I had to say.

I am not claiming that the DXE driver is the issue here, in fact quite the opposite.

But yes I think issue might be related to the Adapter running on PCIE X16 slot / missing bios module / or bios settings - and it doesn’t have to be a faulty device, rather I would assume something is preventing it from waking up / or missing.

With your suggestion about power management issues I was pretty much sure that this will be the case. Huh I even done research back then and ran NVMeFix at the time.

And that was until I have found out that the Windows 10 has exactly same issue and will not wake up from sleep / hibernation mode.

Difference here which by the way I mentioned is that the Windows 10 sits on very same adapter but is being served by M.2 SATA interface (connected via SATA cable from MOBO to Adapter) and not via M.2 NVMe. Which means that the Micron 250GB M.2 SATA SSD is not being served by DXE driver module at all.

And that is what makes me exactly think that the issue might not be related to power management of macOS but somehow related to bios settings or other modules for PCIE X16 slots. Might be as well motherboard on its own.

Yes even in Windows OS u get this sometimes… so no surprises here on hackintosh, its all related to hw capabilities/devices and the ability of the mainboard/system power management control over this resources, its not an easy task to debug.
I cant point you any straight answer or issue to pin point it.
Settings on the motherboard or different hw devices brand/model have implication on this and drivers also a big role.

I’m experiencing almost the same issue, but for me it’s not 100% reproduceable. It’s like approx. 1/4 or 1/5, totally random.

My board: ASUS P8Z77-V, with 2 pcie 3.0 slots direct to CPU and a 3rd pcie 2.0 to PCH.
My setup: 1st graphics card, 2st nvme to pcie adapter, 3rd empty, so it’s running at x8x4 mode.

I flashed my bios with nvme mods, and installed win10 on nvme as boot efi. Everything works except random failure to wake from sleep, symptoms like: after restoring power, no video output to monitor, all fans at full speed like during post, and disk led not blinking at all. At first I thought mod bios was the culprit and probably caused by boot options. But after days of trial n’ error, well, even if I flashed the original ASUS bios and reinstalled win10 on sata3 ssd and use pcie nvme just as a data drive, this wake up issue still occurs as long as the adapter is connected. So apparently it has nothing to do with the bios mod, the mod itself should be totally fine.

Right now I’m trying to test without graphics card and install the adapter in different slots, it seems working now so I doubt if it’s related to graphics card or its driver.

Well, I’ve done some quick testing yesterday.

If it comes to PCIE X16 Running on slower X8 or moving this specific adapter to PCIE X4 doesn’t make a difference.
Also for my GPU, difference on PCIE x16 running X16 vs PCIE x16 running X8 is that marginal that it is pretty much unnoticeable, no impact on sleep mode.

I’ve seen that for someone moving adapter to different slot resolved the issue but in my case it’s pointless. Actually running adapter here on Z77X-D3H on PCIE X4 disables all PCIE X1 slots (which is total bull…) and doesn’t help the case.
So I am keeping the old configuration.

But going back to testing…

If I will try to wake up machine from sleep mode on any OS I know now for fact that the adapter gets voltage back, but at the same time drives are not communicating and of course there is nothing on display.
HDD light is off, on m.2 adapter HDD lights also won’t light up even once.

What is even more interesting, I actually tried to boot up system from random Crucial 2.5" 6Gbps SSD with Windows 10 on it. Same story, stuck in sleep mode.
And this is actually very odd because previously before adding the M.2 adapter and doing changes I’ve been successfully running macOS with Sleep mode and Windows from 2.5" SATA Crucial SSDs.
So I know that it was definitely working fine back in the day.

I am going to do some finally proper testing today.
I am planning to revert the machine setup to previous state and try changes one by one so I can pinpoint the exact issue.
My guess right now is that it’s something between bios version F16 → F18i update, NVMe Mod, NVMe Adapter or even running systems in EFi mode.
Fortunately I’ve got some backups, even old 2.5 SSD with stable, working macOS on it.

I will be back as soon as I got some news.

Ok, I am back with the results.

Adapter itself does not cause any trouble, either the EFI modes, checked.
I did remove the adapter for a second but still wouldn’t start from 2.5 SSD anyway doesn’t matter.

Later I have tried different bios versions and results are following:

1) M.2 SATA (Adapter) Micron 1100 SSD | Windows 10 | Bios: F16 | Bios settings default -> Sleep Mode OK
2) M.2 SATA (Adapter) Micron 1100 SSD | Windows 10 | Bios: F18i | Bios settings default -> Sleep Mode OK
3) M.2 SATA (Adapter) Micron 1100 SSD | Windows 10 | Bios: F18i + NVMe Mod | Bios settings default -> Sleep Mode NO / Won’t wake up

So I guess I was able to narrow possible causes. I am going now to get the article and check the modded bios version again.

So as i stated before, this leads to hw resources/specific device driver power management issues, keeping in mind that the device here is the default OS drive… not a secondary drive with data only.

Actually, currently, for the purpose of testing… yes it is.

Micron M.2 SATA SSD has it’s own EFI partition & Windows Boot Manager. It is perfectly capable of running on its own without NVMe SSD, on which Clover & macOS is located.
And I am doing tests only under Windows 10 started from Micron SATA SSD for now.

I’ve had this idea that maybe something goes to hell when second device is connected to adapter and it all sits on 1 PCIE slot right.
I have disconnected the NVMe completely, leaving Micron SATA SSD only on the adapter. Same story, won’t wake up.

So to me, it looks like presence of NVME driver module alone in bios causes trouble.

No, ill say it again as i already stated, the “DXE” driver is only used in UEFI bios “Platform Driver Execution Environment” initialization fase, it is not used by any OS after as this is NOT the same kind of “driver” used by OSes

https://edk2-docs.gitbook.io/edk-ii-buil…3_boot_sequence

https://uefi.org/sites/default/files/res…PI_Spec_1_6.pdf

Hope it helps and learn a bit more from it, cheers, overNout.

EDIT: One last thing, you can use this and check further in details driver/resources allocation, tell me if you find a DXE driver there: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows…tion-exercise-1

Will do. I will look into it later on and will let you know.

Meanwhile, yesterday I had another idea.
Actually what will it look like if I will revert the BIOS to "pure" F18i release and use Clover-EFI Bootloader method from the pendrive instead.

So upon creating Clover EFi pendrive and adding NvmExpressDxe.efi driver to it, our NVMe drive has been successfully detected, boots right into the system.
Sleep mode works completely fine for both macOS and Windows 10 (NVMe and M.2 SATA). I have successfully awaken macOS nth time since yesterday, also it was in sleep mode over the night.

It is a bit messy and workaround solution but that is one.