[Problem] NVMe Booting with ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0

I purchased a WD BlackSN7100 NVMe SSD with a Sabrent NVMe M.2 SSD to PCIe adaptor.

And have it in the blue PCIe slot X16

Hello Fernando

I and confused on flashing the mod BIOS.

You start by saying;

  • Copy the original (untouched) capsuled BIOS file into the same directory as the file AFUDOS.exe respectively AFUWINx64.exe.

  • Flash the original BIOS by running the following Command Prompt (as Admin):
    afudos.exe <NAME OF THE ORIGINAL BIOS>.CAP
    or
    afuwinx64.exe <NAME OF THE ORIGINAL BIOS>.CAP

That would be my original bios file. “afuwin64.exe M5A97-LE-R20-ASUS-2701.CAP”

You then say;

Remove the capsule header from the modded *.CAP BIOS file and save the modded BIOS as *.ROM file.

I am confused by what has to happen here?

A CAPsulated file is 8194kb, the .ROM file is 8192kb, exactly as it is on your previously shared files, that i checked before, so the files are correct and as i said before the mod is done correctly.

Now flash the damm thing AGAIN, shutdown, AC off 5m, power on, run AFUWIN and make a backup, share it here to check if indeed the system was flashed and have now the mod file in it.

Hello, Meatwar

I reflashed again.

Shut down and powered off for 5 minutes.

Made a backup copy of the BIOS.

backup.zip (3.0 MB)

I looked at it. And it didn’t have the module in it.

I don’t know what I did wrong.

Richard,

Unbelievable…

Sir…pay attention to what your doing… can you believe the time lost here, cause of you?
This is not “patience” at all… and it’s over from my part.

This is from your initial shared archive Source BIOS.zip…

EDIT: There’s nothing wrong, i’m just showing that the .ROM file you shared earlier is OK containing the DXE as i previously have checked… so the mess picking up the correct file when flashing is on your side SO STOP bothering users when the error is all YOURS.

I don’t understand?

What is this telling you “PE32 image section”.

Is the module that I inserted wrong?

I don’t understand all the working of a BIOS.

I tried to follow the instructions to the best of my ability.

Richard,

Hello, Fernando
I really want to thank you for your for assistance.

I have tried everything in all these forums and nothing works.
For some reason my modified BIOS never works with the tools I have tried.
I never see in the Boot options “PATA or PATA SS”
I am going to give it a break.
It was a pleasure to meet you online.

You can let MeatWar know that I wont ever bother him ever again.
His comments were unwanted.

I am an Engineer with 3 degrees. I have built any computers played around tweaking my CPU and Video card. So I know my way around a computer.
This was the first time I ever attempted to modify a BIOS. Figured I would give it a try.

Well I said what I wanted to.
If you find something that might help. I would greatly appreciate it.

Richard,

Sorry sir… i have no PHD but as we know…this doesnt make anyone smarter, you’re the proof of it.
I’m 53 and about 35yrs old on this area, no specialization at all… i did and still do a lot of reading and i’m still learning every day…but less patience for some situations, you should do the same, regards and all the best.

@rdamicojr
It is rather unlikely, that it is not possible to get your ASUS mainboard bootable off an NVMe SSD. You would be the first one among more than 100.000 users, who succeeded after having followed >this< Guide.
According to your reports these are the facts regarding your specific problem:

  1. Your BIOS modification seems to be done correctly.
  2. There is not yet any proof, that you have successfully flashed the modded BIOS. According to your reports the device named “PATA” or “PATA_SS” is not shown within your BIOS as bootable Device after having enabled the “Compatibility Support Module” (CSM).

My Conclusion:
Since you obviously didn’t get the modded BIOS successfully flashed by using the AMI tool AFUWIN64, I recommend to use the tool AFUDOS or another option listed within the initial post of >this< thread.

@Fernando
Actually it’s not working to flash the modded bios with afu tools in ASUS 970 or 990 mobos.

After flashing the BIOS file using the AFU software through the forum method, I restarted the computer. Then I used the AFU software to read the BIOS file out, and when I dragged it into UEFITool, the NVMe module did not appear in UEFITool.

@gloobox
Thanks for your input.
Which AMI AFU Tool did you use? Maybe there is a difference regarding the result after having used AFUWin or AFUDOS.

Hello, Fernando
I tied the AFUDOS from AMI Aptio V.
I created a dos bootable USB put all the files needed on it to flash the BIOS.
When I type in the command AFYDOS.exe
It told me that I could not use AMI Aptio V. Use AMI Aptio IV.
I have looked for it and can’t find it. Do you have any idea where I can get it?
Richard,

@rdamicojr
You should better read the available guides before going to test anything.

Wasted time! You should better have done a look into the related part of >this< Guide.

Yes, I have an idea - you can find the download link within the above linked guide.

I had tried AFUWin and AFUDOS ,from 3.04 to 3.06.01,and from 5.04 to 5.06.01,they all failed with no luck.

Nobody has written, that the flash of a modded ASUS BIOS will be successful for everyone, who has used AFUWIN or AFUDOS v3.04 with the /GAN option, but we have seen the feedback of several users, who were successful after having tried it that way.

I had failed on many mobos of ASUS 970 or 990,

But I had secceed on ASUS FM1 and FM2 mobos!
@Fernando