[Problem] Win7 x64 Install onto AMD Ryzen 5950X with X570 Pro4 System

@canonkong Thanks for letting me know, what CPU do you use may I ask?

However microcode can change with different BIOS update, as AMD supplies updated code to motherboard manufacturer and then they build BIOS around it.

how about installing win7 on b450 and then just put that ssd on x570? It would work i guess.

@avsd1 It wouldn’t because as where my problem originates…as soon as the boot animation opens for Windows 7 it completely halts and enters an endless boot cycle.

This goes for using, in my case a 5950x (and in @Fernando 's attempt a 5600x), on an Asrock x570 Pro4.
Both CPUs are Vermeer.

As explained by my Asrock tech support correspondant, Summit Ridge (not supported on X570), Bristol Ridge (not supported on X570) and Pinnacle Ridge (supported on X570) have some level of Windows 7 support.

so a 2600x would work on an Asrock x570+win7?

1 Like

@avsd1 I imagine it would, as I’m using a Ryzen 2600, so I can’t see how a 2600x would be far off. So I’m going to put it as a 99% chance it will…both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit :slightly_smiling_face:

@canonkong & @Fernando I’ve been doing quite some thinking lately about the microcode theory.

Do the BIOS of different motherboard manufactuers with the same CPU compatibility contain identical microcodes?
Or is each code slightly altered from one model to another?? :thinking:

The reason I ask is because if they are identical, then how is one motherboard able to execute system files of an operating system while another refuses?

No, each mainboard manufacturer has its own way to satisfy the customers (or not).

1 Like

try the 2600 with the asrock x570 and let us know ! @Windows7_Fan

1 Like

@Fernando Very interesting!

So theorectically if that is the case, a microcode from the BIOS of a Windows 7 compatible motherboard like MSI X570-Creation can be extracted and then reinjected to another BIOS of another motherboard manufacturer.

Could this be a possibility perhaps? :thinking:

@avsd1 Ohhh I’m already using it!

From a few posts earlier (or on anothe thread) I’ve stated the Ryzen 2600 works on the Asrock X570 Pro4, both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit boots up and allows installation to progress with no issues (except for drivers of couse)!

It’s really the Ryzen 5000 (and somewhere it’s been said the 3000) series that have issues.

@Windows7_Fan
Yes, it should be possible to insert a certain CPU microcode, which had been extracted from the BIOS of another mainboard.
The only question will be whether it will work as desired.
By the way - your question had nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

1 Like

@Fernando I think this is the scary part now…who will go ahead and do the First step; The long winded process of extracting the code from compatible BIOS.

Second step; To inject the microcode to desired BIOS and rebuild it.

Third step; Flash motherboard with modified BIOS.

Aaahhh…:melting_face:

@Windows7_Fan
This discussion becomes completely off-topic!
Update: Since your recent contributions didn’t match the topic of the target thread, I have moved them into this already existing and much better matching one.

1 Like

@Fernando Ahh you’re right…I’m terribly sorry! :slightly_frowning_face:

Couldn’t help discussing in a good conversation :smiling_face_with_tear:

@Fernando @canonkong @avsd1 @MeatWar Hey everyone, sorry for being a bit quiet here lately, as I’ve been pretty busy with some work on the current working build of Windows 7 64-bit on the Ryzen 2600 (and using all 128GB of Ram)! :sweat_smile:

Whilst this is nice, I still absolutely desire after being somewhat spoiled when testing out the 5950x on Windows 10, thus I REALLY need to utilise that processor anyway and besides…that was kind of the whole point of all this :smiley:

So, letting you all know, I’m going ahead once again and going to bite the bullet, I am going to do some microcode transferring.

Starting from my post(s) on this topic here: [Problem] Win7 install with x570 Chipset+Ryzen 5000 Ser. CPU - #70 by Windows7_Fan

The MSI X570 Creation seems to be the best motherboard for compatibility, and as stated by user @K4sum1 the 5950x runs with his current BIOS albeit being version 7C36v1I.

I am thinking of using that version as a basis, extract the microcode for the 5950x and inject into to the latest Asrock X570 Pro4 BIOS being v5.60.

Before proceeding (although I’m procrastinating a lot these days), is there any word of advice or anything like to be said before I go down this rabbit hole? :smiling_face_with_tear: :pray:

Dumb idea? Run a Hypervisor on the 5950X and use 7 with GPU passthrough.

Or have it as a hypervisor with whatever OS that you might want 16c32t for, and main a weaker system. I want to do this myself sometime as I get tired of having all my RAM eaten up and CPU pegged doing intensive tasks. Although not sure when I would have the money to get another powerful system I would want to main. I would want to go 11th gen Intel and 11700/11900K(F) for the lower latency.

I do not believe this is due to mcode, the base patch released by AMD should be intact used by OEMs, ill point this to “OS features abandonware” and consequently modern ACPI/DSDT and all users should expect this to continue in modern hardware platform releases, there’s no “gains” in supporting old OS for consumer market when the OS manufacturer already dropped support for it and keeps pressing forward.
You’ll have a chance with this only from a user with spare time and a very good knowledge of AMD DSDT AML/ ACPI FADT tables…
Read some topics on ACPI specs revisions and their implementations vs OS support…you’ll get the picture.

Here’s just a taste of it with easy understand of it.
My advice is to get an old platform hardware mb as spare system to your needs, regarding W7 OS, good luck.

@K4sum1 @MeatWar Thanks guys for getting back to me!

I would like to point out that I AM currently running Windows 7 64-bit on my comuter rig at the moment, but this is on a Ryzen 2600 (Pinnacle Ridge).

To reiterate, as soon as I swap or change the CPU to a 5950x (Vermeer), it will fail to boot, nor will it execute a Windows 7 x64 installation disc or USB (unless it was a Gen2 release, which seems to use a Windows 8 setup style installation GUI).

It is for these reasons, including @Fernando’s assessment AND an Asrock tech support representative who also speculates that it’s to do with AGESA code, that I believe this could be a microcode problem :frowning_face:

To avoid any misunderstanding: This does not mean, that each mainboard manufacturer compiles its own microcodes. The only difference between the mainboard manufacturers is the intensity, frequency and duration of the tests done with various BIOS modules.

1 Like

@Fernando Rightttt okay then.

But these different values of the test they conduct, does that even affect the execution of Windows 7 64-bit files from installation? :thinking: