[Problem] Win7 x64 Install onto AMD Ryzen 5950X with X570 Pro4 System

@Windows7_Fan
Thank you very much for for having done these time consuming tests and for having found the reason for the problems to get Win7 x64 installed onto our AMD X570 Pro4 systems. By the way - my CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5600X.

As I already have written, I recommend to contact the ASRock Technical Support. In the past I got very quick and helpful advices from the ASRock Service in the Netherlands.

1 Like

@Fernando You’re very welcome!

It’s just such a shame how such a good motherboard has costed me a lot of time and money (the latter being more painful as I’m trying to use this machine to do work and it’s eating at me!).

Since you’re a 5600x and on the latest BIOS, please remind me what operating system you’re using?

I will be making that form to tech support, just trying to think how to word it correctly.

Win11 x64 Pro v24H2 Build 26090.1

1 Like

Ahh right, of course.

Do you know anything about BIOS modding?

What came into mind is if someone has the capacity, they could analyse the code from the two BIOS versions and see if the latest is adding restrictions to the use of Windows 7 64-bit.

@Windows7_Fan
There are other Forum members, who know much more about BIOS modding than me.

1 Like

@Fernando Okay then, I’ll have a look around and probably reiterate the question.

Speaking of which, I went to the Asrock community forum on Reddit and I created an identical post to the tech support you suggested, and within a few minutes I was getting shit already because it was Windows 7 :cry:

@Fernando Good afternoon!

I’ve heard back from Asrock and this is what they have to say:

How is this even helpful?? :cry:

Nothing at all, but it is expected, why lose time with such questions to ASR support???
You do know its an old OS, with official support already finished to end-users by MS, so why “digging” into it.
Hardware technologies feeds software development and vice-versa…simple, companies will not lose time and work, supporting for a decade, an old OS than the developer itself dropped official support.
This is a “consumer” market, the goal is sell, sell, sell, period.

EDIT: My opinion only and not discouraging you in your quest, it’s just a waste of time asking for their support. We all know this “Push politics” from MS…that follows hw companies… you can try and even succeed in some hw cases/mb models but you cant fight them, when they take the same path.
And your a consumer… not an enterprise/company.
Bios code and even cpu mcode code will eventually drop certain features/instructions, that old OS require…this is the issue with this kind of attempts, all the best and good luck on your endeavor.

EDIT: Sorry, but i’m an Intel user, regardless, my latest client builds are all AMD Ryzen AM5…Gigabyte boards, but i can’t recommend anything related to Win7.

1 Like

@MeatWar I asked tech support because i was recommended by a fellow user here to do so.

I even mentioned in my query how their motherboard was able to support 32-bit Win7 and another Ryzen CPU but somehow locks itself when using the 5950x?

While this is a consumer market, it’s bad business strategy to abandon a large userbase of Windows 7. In fact if given the choice, people were very happy with it and a lot of users were forcibly upgraded to Windows 10, so on paper and statistics it would seem the latter is the majority OS, but this wasn’t because of choice either unfortunately.

I now also have the assumption that the CPU’s microcode might play a part to this, but there’s very little information about microcode in itself :slightly_frowning_face:

@MeatWar

I just saw your update on your post, and I appreciate the words. I am absolutely aware of the policies that companies has to follow becaase of Microsoft, I was just really hoping that there would be a glimmer of light if one did ask for help (on the pretense that “you never know if you don’t ask”).

I am beginning more and more to believe that microcode does have somesort of play into this too, but what dissuades me is how some other motherboards are able to boot Windows 7 64-bit regardless and just not this Asrock board I have :slightly_frowning_face:

In regards to that, I’m thinking of taking a break from this motherboard and going back to an Asus one, are there any recommendations which x570 motherboard is compaible with 5950x paired with Winodws 7 64-bit? :smiling_face_with_tear:

@canonkong Great to hear from you again!

So since we last comminicated, I’ve had another conversation with tech support from Asrock.
They claim their engineers are too busy to investigate issue for a “dead OS”, however this person says if there was a conclusion it would most likely (again) be the microcode i.e. AGESA code.

I’ve researched and it’s possible to obtain microcode from a motherboard BIOS.
If I am able to extract a file containing this code for 5950x from an Asrock BIOS, do you think it could then be edited?
And after modification inject back into BIOS file. :thinking:

That would be great if you can make a debug, I would happily lend you one of my Asrock x570 Pro4 motherboard, would that help? :+1:

Also, I recognise 1393…isn’t this Firewire?? :smiley:

I think it is not the AGESA code problem, I have Asrock b450 with same AGESA, it is wroking well on win7. But Asrock x570 will 0x0000007B BSOD while intstal win7.

1 Like

I have an ASRock X570 mainboard, but got a 0x0000007E BSOD, when I tried to install Win7.

1 Like

@canonkong Thanks for letting me know, what CPU do you use may I ask?

However microcode can change with different BIOS update, as AMD supplies updated code to motherboard manufacturer and then they build BIOS around it.

how about installing win7 on b450 and then just put that ssd on x570? It would work i guess.

@avsd1 It wouldn’t because as where my problem originates…as soon as the boot animation opens for Windows 7 it completely halts and enters an endless boot cycle.

This goes for using, in my case a 5950x (and in @Fernando 's attempt a 5600x), on an Asrock x570 Pro4.
Both CPUs are Vermeer.

As explained by my Asrock tech support correspondant, Summit Ridge (not supported on X570), Bristol Ridge (not supported on X570) and Pinnacle Ridge (supported on X570) have some level of Windows 7 support.

so a 2600x would work on an Asrock x570+win7?

1 Like

@avsd1 I imagine it would, as I’m using a Ryzen 2600, so I can’t see how a 2600x would be far off. So I’m going to put it as a 99% chance it will…both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit :slightly_smiling_face:

@canonkong & @Fernando I’ve been doing quite some thinking lately about the microcode theory.

Do the BIOS of different motherboard manufactuers with the same CPU compatibility contain identical microcodes?
Or is each code slightly altered from one model to another?? :thinking:

The reason I ask is because if they are identical, then how is one motherboard able to execute system files of an operating system while another refuses?

No, each mainboard manufacturer has its own way to satisfy the customers (or not).

1 Like