[Questions] How to Dump/Mod an Intel NUC BIOS?

What’s the best way on dumping bios’s on intel AMI systems?

I have a BMAXPLUS B1 mini nuc
One I want to dump the bios either via windows or in Linux.

Two since it’s AMI would the option /O work as I don’t have the /GO to save the full image be enough to dump most if not the whole rom?

Or should I use FWPT for this machine seemed to dump the bios without errors but the problem is even though I did -bios -d etc I only found the rom size was 7259mb or something like that vs the AMI dump with /o gave me a 8192mb as I looked up the winbond chip and found it was 8192mb so far that I can tell. My main question though is what is more complete the FWPT dump or the AMI. Also is the AMI dump just filling in information as like blank partitions to just fill the required flash sized reported, or is it dumping like the intel me and other regions that are required to have a fully working rom being done right?

I know on this intel mini nuc that bios flash protection is disabled so hopefully the os can do a full dump. If AMI or FWPT isn’t giving me the full dump what tool should I use in windows or Linux. Could flash rom on Linux give me all the regions of the bios rom dumped without the use of a bios programmer?

Wait technically AMI gave me header errors and another one I cannot remember but the size and rom id and such had errors that I can think of. Both dumps gave me these two errors except the FWPT didn’t ensure of the rom layout while the Ami seemed to be okay and at least gave me a reading for it. I will say I tested so far that the Ami dump worked as I flashed the Main Bios, NCB, and NVRAM. Problem when I run the Ami v tools I cannot flash the Boot block as I don’t have an option to do so or the embedded controller. Not sure if Bmax gave a limitation on what the AMI tools can read from the bios because before flash I didn’t even have the option to do so. Well it’s getting late for me as I’m central standard time so I will be back tomorrow to answer any questions about this question I have. Also good news at least the AMI dump I managed to flash what I could, and it’s posting and working but don’t seem to unless I’m wrong have the other regions accessible or just locked out of or maybe it’s all in the bios part. One issue after flashing all of those that I could for the rom partitions I cannot access the boot options via F2 but the main bios is accessible and options work and I can boot into other OS”s via setup and the settings in setup save and work fine except Boot options via F2 is broken which is my fault it not a big deal I think as I can still enter setup and all the options including boot management work from that part of it. Later around CST time so 8 or 10am I will be available for a bit to answer anything. So far it posts like it did except I sort of broke a feature, but not too mad as this pc was 85$ on sale on Amazon and still works.

Edit by Fernando: Thread title shortened and customized after having merged 2 threads

BIOS ROMS COMPARED DUMPS.PNG

Screenshot (164).png

Screenshot (165).png

Screenshot (166).png

Screenshot (167).png

Hopefully this form post is understandable as I’m very tired and typed a whole paragraph on my pixel tablet in bed before I sleep.

Okay so im defiantly glad I didn’t try to flash the FWPT dump, I tried to open it in AMI BCP and file isn’t openable :frowning:
The 8192mb dump thats from AMI V tools seems to be readable.
Here’s a screenshot of the bios dumps compared using AMI.
They’re in the main post now

Since I’m a new user and somewhat new to this what site should I use to upload my rom and bin dumps,
so someone that has a bit more skills be able to verify the dumps for me and compared to make sure critical things
like microcode and such is in either in the AMI dump or the FWPT one?

Hopefully the AMI dump using /O is enough of a rom dump to make mods and edits since BCP edit opens on the 8192 one,
and I can see the strings and such to be able to change from default to user on the advance section and etc to have this fully unlocked

@Lowender : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

You can directly attach ZIP or RAR compressed files with a size maximum of 6 MB.

Which sort of BIOS modifications do you want to get?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

The modifications I’m trying to get without bricking but definitely want to make sure that one of these dumps either from AMI tools or FWPT64 that has either most or all the regions dumped. I did order a CH341A programmer just in case something goes wrong. My planned modifications are either completely unlocking the options in the bios that it has to feature included in the rom, plus as of right now figuring out if there’s a newer microcode patch for my apollo lake intel n3350 nuc. If there’s a newer microcode patch I would love to make sure it’s up to date as much as possible and if this can be done use me_cleaner to disable intel management engine as much as possible while still having a usable system.

I’m at work at the moment so when I get home, I will definitely upload the dumped bios’s that I manage to do so far from AMI and intel FWPT64. Also what’s the best platform to upload the 8.2-3 mb bios file from both the rom dump and bin files so you can either tell me how if AMI or FWPT did a better job at dumping it.

Or even better link me to a good forum post on how to check the structure to make sure I have all if not most of the regions dumped. Before modding so if this gets bricked I can use the programmer to bring this back to life if things go wrong. Also the manufacturer doesn’t have the bios rom freely available, sadly so I need to make sure I have a good dump or know the best program to do a good dump with all regions. Thanks for taking your time to address this. Sorry for the typos as I’m on my 30 minute lunch break and typed all of this on my phone.

@Lowender
The Intel Utility named “Flash Programming Tool” (FPT), which is part of the matching Intel CSME System Tool version, is the usually taken one, when a user wants to dump the BIOS Region or the ME Region of his/her Intel chipset mainboard’s Chip.
You can find the Intel (CS)ME System Tools within the Chapter C of the start post of >this< thread.
If you want to know more about the “Flash Programming Tool” and its commands, please use the Forum’s “Search” box.

Thanks I will definitely look at that, and try the dump again hopefully this works well :+1:

Okay so I see how to get the management engine version, but to be sure what management engine version does Apollo lake use, also what version does bay trail use. Or should I just go by HWINFO as stated in that forum post?
Thanks for linking me to that post, as there are so many guides out there for dumping UEFI bios. To using Flashrom to dump it in Linux using the internal option, to using other bios dumping programs.

EDIT: tried to find the version I think it might be version 3 not sure?

CSTXE version part 1.PNG

CSTXE Version part 2.PNG

CSTXE version part 3.PNG

HWINFO 64 INTEL ME Version.PNG

Okay I got winrar installed while I usually prefer pzip but I did get in compressed both the rom and bin dumps from Aptio V firmware tools, only compressed into 7.90mb from both files being 16mb for the rom 8.3mb and the bin 8.3 mb both does indeed open via AMI BCP

Screenshot (168).png

Should I upload these one at a time then?
I went ahead and uploaded these to mega for now
https://mega.nz/file/YuojwIgL#tMwjuZCMz9…0zX4Zy_R02n7z98

Alright so I’m new to modding AMI bios and such in general, but how could I go about getting access to all of these supported options that are usually used on like say a production or test unit machine.
This is a intel knock off nuc that I’m using for dev and wondering about fully unlocking this machine. I think this has no like oem lock down or anything not sure if this even has a BIOS recovery or not.
As you can see most are unlocked except a few things I want fully unlocked and wondering about the permissions and such. I have screen shots to help explain my question better, as I’m on the spectrum and hard at explaining things sometimes. Main question since I have administrator rights would I change the access/use in AMIBCP 5.02.0031 to extended user user or supervisor since by default it looks like I have Administrator when in the bios and most is unlocked my the manufacture. Problem some things I want unlocked that are set like CPU Power Management config from max performance to what’s supported like power save as I would love to make this as using less power while having good performance like balance. Reference is Screenshot 170.png and the default options are shown in IMG0203 and etc .png Hopefully I made since. Should I change all values for the ultimate unlock to user. What level am I given USER, Extended user, or Supervisor by default here?

Also I asked a similar question earlier so I guess this whole thing could be combined into the original, but this question is about permissions not about dumping at the moment.
https://www.win-raid.com/t10153f16-How-to-Dump-the-Bios-of-an-Intel-NUC.html#msg158283

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

Screenshot (170).png

I’m mainly asking how to edit a dump, since I can flash modifications I believe without verification. Trying to understand how the permissions of AMI BCP 5 works like differences between USER, Extended USER, and Supervisor and etc.

@XgbVOxFG
As you can see I have merged the 2 threads you had started and gave it a new suitable title.
Good luck!

Good news so far after my bios programmer CH341A came in I managed to do a dump and decided to test this out as if I didn’t have a programmer after making the dump. So the AMI dump looks like it has most of the contents dumped except intel me as it looks. Still trying to figure out completely how a rom is structured if you have any good well know forums or data sheets and etc let me know. Anyways I managed to completely unlock the bios without bricking it so far there’s a few more options I found but so far so good on what I managed to unlock. I will say I am locked out of some things so I may not be able to without using my programmer to dump the whole thing at once, but good news intel me tools you linked me to can dump most of it from a Microsoft OS environment. :grin::+1:[/img][/img][/img]

C8F169FD-C124-4523-AF5C-C866B9BC408A.jpeg

71CDB310-A3DB-49FF-A056-0C9272ED799A.jpeg

A3AEBFBF-5627-42D6-AA4C-294A172CE7F4.jpeg

B3A5D4ED-EA98-4D70-B08B-4F1591949504.jpeg

E66AB24D-DA80-4CFA-9C9C-66C1FAC7BAE3.jpeg

EAAB99FB-C376-4571-8614-75AC16C308DE.jpeg

6C6DE6B8-89E3-4131-9F9B-89A776C6642D.jpeg

BEBA64C7-9B9E-49B6-B962-83D9F0ABA507.jpeg

16171881-1B78-407F-BED4-CCFB3BFE2DB0.jpeg

31C123FB-C5D9-4048-83B9-FAB6F9ABAA3F.jpeg

1A99C89B-D14C-4D1D-AE58-C5D64291A213.jpeg

6BAE0932-61EE-45B4-81A8-B230B7F24516.jpeg

440EED4C-98E7-4098-A244-1A1143245276.jpeg

E9472053-D4ED-4010-B161-81483D784B68.jpeg

FE98A597-10CE-4ABF-B025-2F40BF3E6D02.jpeg

1BD97A64-12DE-4755-8D39-C55A60592931.jpeg

DD84D9D6-A61E-4ACC-9A37-8C4CDB0036A4.jpeg

FF7DC3D1-CC87-49FE-BD8D-D24A40EC8424.jpeg

After making sure this thing is completely stable I will upload the modded dump for anyone that has a MaxMini B1 Plus, after I know it’s stable and all options work. Also the intel nuc knock off has a reset cmos pin whole so if I change something that makes it refuse to boot I can reset it back to factory settings even with the modded bios for the NVRAM settings. I will say as you can see from the images the AMI Aptio V can only flash the MIAN, NVRAM, NCB from my dump which has the built in EMMC disabled and OEM logo disabled so it’s just the American Megatrends logo, and everything else is on default if you reset the cmos it goes back to original bios options for the default setting but all unlocked options are still available and working :). If you can help or someone let me know how I can flash the other blocks and dump them from the OS I would be very interested to know :). I guess I can use the intel tools to dump the rest along with the full dump I have from my bios programmer. Unless you know of other tools for AMI bios that allow me to dump a whole backup from the OS as well. Later on I need to reupload these images of the bios settings and make it a bit more clear. Other than that I’m gonna upload the modded bin I managed to do so far from AMI BCP.

Modded bios upload For Intel n3350 BMAX Plus B1 only
https://mega.nz/folder/UnRkwZoT#F_wCufKu1a4otJFslgqMPw

Suggest dumping your bios first since it has the product key and such before trying this out

Features unlock
NVME Support config
Hardware Monitor options
ACPI more options unlocked so far
CPU config unlock
Network stack config options unlocked good for embedded networking applications I suppose
Complete USB config unlocked
Some mystery Oem hidden menus option that’s been revealed now
DPTF options unlocked
Debug config options unlocked
RC ACPI settings unlocked
RTD3 option unlocked
SHA 1-SM3_256 options unlock for TPM module unlocked along with TPM 2.0 Interface unlocked
TDC and TDP unlocked
Base frequency option unlocked but cannot change as of yet
Under chipset Memory config unlocked, south bridge, Uncore config unlocked, and South cluster mystery to me except GMM audio, usb and some things I know option unlocked but completely unlocked that I could for others, and whole audio options unlock and many more under those main sections Memory config unlocked, south bridge, Uncore config unlocked, and South cluster mystery under chipset
Things working on like how to unlock in built in bios recovery options I saw unless some key I don’t know, and other options I may have over looked. Also is it a good idea to change access from default to user?
So far so good but if anyone wants to looks at the rom dump be more than free to do so. Included in the folder download is the BMAXBIOS.bin and the Aptio V AMI firmware files needed to flash the MAIN and NCB but not needed depending on what version your machine of this came with version 2.18.1263 2021 AMI. If yours is different I suggest flashing what you can from this bin using /P /K /N /kn /Ln that’s what I can access so far from an OS and AMI. Sadly I cannot dump the boot block or update it without using my programmer CH341A chip being used in this NUC is a W25Q64FW ID:0xEF6017 SIZE 8192KB as read from both CSTXE tools and the file being 8192mb-8.0 being reported by windows for the rom size on my dump.

Specs of exact pc that’s this rom was dumped and unlocked from
https://www.bmaxit.com/2020/minipc_0808/34.html

Archive.org link for if this goes down in the future
https://web.archive.org/web/202202031823…pc_0808/34.html

Model: MaxMini B1 Plus
Processor: Intel® Celeronl® N3350 processor
Frequency: Base Frequency 1.6GHz/ Burst Frequency 2.4GHz
Number of Cores & Number of Threads:2 Cores & 2 Threads
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 500
RAM: 6GB
Storage: 64GB
Expandable storage: TF (Micro SD) Card Reader x1, M.2 2280 SSD x1.
Not said but can boot off SD cards as I found and possibly now be able to use NVME drives instead of limited to Sata m.2 2280 Drives as now,
I have an option in the bios to configure this :slight_smile:
Will try out a NVME drive I have, and see if this is true or not.
LAN: Supported
WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2
USB: USB 3.0 ×2,USB 2.0 ×2
Other ports: DC 12V/2A, 3.5mm Headset jack, HDMI ×1,VGA ×1,RJ45 ×1
Item Dimensions: 120mm(L)×120mm(W)×32mm(H) (Due to product configuration and manufacturing process, the actual body size may vary, please refer to the actual product.)
Item Weight: Approximately 220g (Due to product configuration and manufacturing process, the actual body size may vary, please refer to the actual product.)

I know I need a capture card plan on getting one. Know any that’s like around the 40-60$ range that’s good and uses either USB C or just USB 3.0?
Looking for at least 1080P 30 but 60 is preferred for streaming and showing things like this professionally.