Quick Question About Raid0 On Sata I Bus

If i raid a pair of ssds on a raid type 1 controller will the speed double as it does on a SATA II and SATA III controller?

MSI Neo platinum is the motherboard its nforce 3 and has "IDE RAID"

cheers.

@POE_UK : I have moved this thread into the better matching "RAID Performance" subforum.
Now to your question:
A RAID0 array consisting of 2 SSDs will give you the double speed of a single SSD, but only regarding bigger sized files. The 4KB benchmark results are the same as while using a single SSD.
The SATA Controller generation limits the speed. If you create a RAID0 array consisting of 2 SSDs running in SATA I mode (speed as single SSD up to 150MB/s) you may get a speed up to 300MB/s (= SATA II speed), but never the performance you will get by using a SATA III Controller.

@Fernando - But, wont any single SSD max out SATA 1 (1.5Mb/s) bus speed by itself (assuming sample SSD speed is much more than 150Mb/s by default)?
Thus single SSD can’t even reach it’s own max speed due to SATA Gen1 bus limitation, let alone RAID SSD on SATA 1, correct?

@Lost_N_BIOS - Yes, the max band width of the SATA 1 Controller limits the speed of each connected SSD to max 150MB/s (no matter, which speed is supported by the SSD itself), but the maximum speed is doubled after the conjunction of 2 SSDs to 1 RAID0 Array (except for reading/writing very small sized files).

Awesome, thanks @Fernando ! I didn’t realize that would “double”, I assumed max of bus would be max of bus even if RAID was used too.

@Lost_N_BIOS :- Yes, the maximal possible bandwidth is valid for each SATA port. So if you combine 2 or more SATA connected SSDs to a RAID0 array, you can double or even triple the scores while reading or writing files (except the very small ones). On the other hand it doesn’t make sense to create a RAID0 array consisting of more than 3-4 SSDs, because then the data transfer limit of the chipset has been reached.

I guess I of course knew that from using SSD’s on 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s systems, in RAID even, but didn’t realize it like that when I was thinking about it above, due to 1.5Gb/s system just sounded so limiting

sata I is ideal for sshd drives, they usually hit about 110mbs