Rampage III Extreme TRIM in RAID0?

Hmm, interesting I use this controller for eSATA backup devices but I have not turned it on yet to see what happens. Maybe I should do that now. Thanks for the report sinders.

How do we mod other OROM’s? I would like orom 11.2 and the latest 12.7 modded as well.

OK, I am confused now, I am using the back panel eSATA port near the cmos clear button. Is this port serviced by Marvel or JMicron? I am under the impression that it is serviced by JMicron and thus I am not using the Marvel port at all. Right?

EDIT: @sinders , what did you do to get the Marvell to stop working? I just enabled it and installed driver 1.2.0.1039 and it is working just fine here as far as I can tell. I just deleted my backup and made a new backup as well.

EDIT2: LMAO, err never mind haha I just realized that I am using the Jmicron controller for eSATA backups (my bad). LOL, my red ports are empty. The controller enabled just fine though and the driver also installed just fine for the Marvel but I have nothing connected to it.

Yes the back panel eSATA port near the cmos clear button are for the JMicron Controller.

For me, when the Onboard Marvell Controller is enabled and the Intel ICH10R SATA RAID
Controller is set on RAID mode at the same time, I just get a black screen with no Intel
RAID BIOS screen showing up and no Marvell Controller BIOS screen showing ether.

Are you saying your BIOS setup screens turn black, or your Windows session screen turns black? I have all three controllers enabled… I will restart and go into bios now.

EDIT: Ok, I went into bios and it is working. I also hit Ctrl+I and it is working just fine. I also hit Ctrl+M and it just instantly goes to windows loading screen. That is probably because I have nothing connected to the Marvel ports though. I am not getting any black screens.

By the way, yesterday when I first flashed this modded bios I also had a black screen AFTER hitting the del key, or when hitting F1 to continue. It would not stop doing that until I held down the clear cmos button for 30 seconds. After that it has not come back. I turned off the power supply before holding down that button though. Not sure if any of that will help you though.

The screen just turns black when the board BIOS is about to load
up the Intel RAID screen that normally shows up when booting.

I will try to clear the cmos and take out the battery and if
that doesn’t solve the issue then it must be something with
my system that is causing the issue with the modded Intel
RSTe RAID ROM and the Onboard Marvell Controller.

Yes, please do a CMOS clearing and power off the system for ca. 1 minute.
It would really be very strange, if any hex code modification of the Intel RAID OROM will have any negative impact onto the function of another (marvell) storage Controller, which uses a totally different "Firmware" (OROM module).

Thought I would reply with how I flashed this modded BIOS.

1. I restarted PC into bios where I then used the "Load BIOS Defaults" to set the bios back to default setup.
2. I then restarted the PC and hit DEL key during bios screen to enter setup again.
3. I then went to the Asus EZ-Flash screen and flashed the modded TRIM bios.
4. I then restarted the PC.
5. I then hit DEL key and entered setup again and then enabled RAID mode.
6. I then restarted and hit the DEL key and BIOS went into black Screen with a blinking cursor. (Repeated this step several times to no avail)
7. I then turned off the power supply using the switch on the PSU.
8. I then held down the CMOS clear button on the back of the mobo for 30 seconds. (No battery removal)
9. I then turned on the PSU.
10. I then hit Start button (or reset, I forgot which) on the mobo PCB.
11. I then hit DEL or F1 key (I forget which one) to enter BIOS setup screen.
12. I then set Raid mode for Intel and AHCI mode for Marvel and did ALL my other settings at once this time.
13. I then "Saved to CMOS" and restarted the PC.

Everything has worked normally since. Hope this helps…

I think something with my hardware doesn’t like the these changes made to the Intel
OROM and the effects of this is its causing issue with the Marvell Controller.

I have tried clearing CMOS and taking out the battery but still get the same issue.

If it matters, I am on the "LEFT" side bios chip. I use the right side for official BIOS flashes and the left side for modded/overclocking flashes, etc. Do you have anything attached to the RED ports? As you said you are not using the Marvel controller anyway. Neither am I so I am not even sure why I have it enabled, lol…

EDIT: OK, I have some important discoveries for you. I just went into my BIOS and "DISABLED" the Marvel controller. I then saved and rebooted the PC. The initial BIOS screen came up and then went to a BLACK SCREEN where the Intel RAID ROM screen should be. It stayed like that for several minutes. I then restarted the PC again and the exact same thing BLACK SCREEN. SO, I then turned off my PSU, held down the Clear CMOS button, and then restarted the PC. I then Hit the DEL (or F1 to continue to setup) key and it went into the BIOS. I then made all my normal settings, changed the Intel to RAID and changed the Marvel to AHCI mode. I then Saved to CMOS and it restarted just fine and I am in windows again. I then restarted and went back into bios like normal and everything is working as it should.

So moral of the story, the mobo only works when the Marvel is set to AHCI mode. lol

For me, my system runs fine with the Onboard Marvell Controller disabled.

I am just going to give up and not going bother with troubleshooting this
issue anymore. I can’t be bothered doing further troubleshooting like
taking out hardware from my computer and stuff.

Like I said previously, I am not too much bother about this cause I don’t
use the Onboard Marvell Controller anyways.

@ sinders and SkOrPn:

Thank you for your additional reports.
Meanwhile I have sent a PM to CPL0 and hope, that he will look into this thread very soon.

Kind regards
Fernando

EVGA SR-2 which has both a JMicron and a Marvell controller as well as ICH10R.

Unfortunately, didn’t work for me. Board booted into BIOS fine first time around as the chipset was toggled in Compatability mode. Once I flipped it to RAID mode it would hang on a blinking cursor once it got to the OROM.

I didn’t mess around with it further; some people in the Win-Raid thread were talking about messing with the JMicron controller and certain settings letting it boot and others not.

Maybe if someone refines this mod I’ll give it another shot.

TerryMathews, Did you try disabling the JMicron and Marvell controller then try to enable RAID mode on the ICH10R controller?

For me, its the Marvell controller that doesn’t work when I enable RAID mode on the ICH10R controller and
all I get is the same thing as you, the hang on a blinking cursor when the system is trying to load up the
RAID screen that normally shows just before the system boots. The system including RAID mode on the
ICH10R controller works perfectly fine again as soon as I disable the Marvell controller.

Member SkOrPn with the same motherboard and modded BIOS as me doesn’t suffer from this issue.

This modded OROM is definitely causing some issues on some computer systems because I have
never had this issue when I am using the non modified Intel OROMs.

I wish I had your guy’s problem instead. I want my Marvel controller disabled as I NEVER use it. Anything other than setting it to AHCI causes the Intel OROM to hang on a black screen with a blinking cursor. Board only boots to Windows with the Marvel ENABLED. WEIRD lol

By the way, the Marvell 91xx AHCI/RAID ROM version 1.0.0.1038 for DEV_9123 that is shared here
in the thread below works with our Rampage III Extreme Onboard Marvell Controller.

AHCI & RAID ROM Modules

I have modded the Rampage III Extreme 1601 BIOS to include this updated OROM
and the Onboard Marvell Controller seems to be working perfectly fine with it.

My R3E board has a 9128, not a 9123, if it matters. Is this still newer than the module I am using now in your last modded bios?

Yes, I just discovered the new module here after my last modded bios.

I didn’t even know there was a new Marvell controller OROM module
out that would work for our Marvell controller.

If you would like my updated modded BIOS which also includes
this new Marvell controller OROM module, please let me
know and I will post a link for it here.

Does it fix the error we are having between the intel and marvell controllers? If not, than not really as i never use that controller, lol. Anyway, thanks again sinders…

Unfortunately it doesn’t fix the issue we are having with this modded Intel OROM but I added
it anyways because its newer than the Marvell controller OROM module we where using which
was Marvell 91xx AHCI/RAID ROM version 1.0.0.1033.

Ok, thanks sinders. Once I figure out how to mod TRIM in RAID0 on my 12.7.0.1936 OROM I will come looking for you, lol. Unless I can figure out how to do it all myself someday. I am also interested in 11.2 having TRIM. For now I am staying on 11.6 I guess…

If you want to update the Marvell AHCI/RAID OROM of your BIOS, you should take the especial DEV_9128 module I am offering >here<. The module for DEV_9123 sinders is using may not work for your system.

EDIT:

I wish you good luck for that project.

By the way: I just got a PM from CPL0. He now knows about the Marvell Controller problem and will try to solve it in December, when he has more time than now. This is what he had written regarding the modding procedure for ICH10R RAID Controllers: