Rampage III Extreme TRIM in RAID0?

Yes I did, unfortunately to no effect.

Thanks a lot Fernando for letting us know that CPL0 now knows about the Marvell Controller problem.

It is strange how me and SkOrPn have the same board thought our Marvell Controller has a different ID.

I have an ID of 9123 displaying where the firmware and bios version is displayed
when going into the Marvell Controller bios setup utility.

Yes, this is strange, but happens very often, that the mainboard manufacturer puts different Controller chips onto boards with the same name and maybe even from the same mainboard Revision.

Perhaps there is certain code that relates to the Rampage III Extreme that needs inserted into the modded OROM.

CPL0 maybe inserted code that was for the board he made the modded OROM on and so using the modded
OROM on a different board might be the cause of the issue / the effects we are experiencing.

I guess CPL0 is the only one who can answer this question.

No, I don’t think, that there is a special code needed for specific mainboards.
The answer to the question, why you got problems with the Marvell Controller, but CPL0 obviously not when he developed and tested the modded OROM with his ICH10R system, will be quite simple: CPL0’s test system didn’t have any Marvell SATA Controller. That is why he was not able to detect the problem.

@sinders , I apologize but I was not talking about hardware ID’s I was speaking of the controller itself. My Marvel chip says “88SE9128” printed right on it, but my hardware ID in the device manager says “PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9123&SUBSYS_84001043&REV_11” which should be exactly what yours says.

I just did not realize you were speaking of hardware ID’s and I also did not realize the number was different between hardware ID and actual chip model number. Sorry for the confusion. My fault…

No problem buddy.

Hi SkOrPn.

I was wondering since you’ve been using the modded OROM, have you noticed any big
performance improvements on your SSD RAID0 compared to what it was like before?

Personally, I haven’t really noticed much difference if at all with my SSDs in
RAID0 and with TRIM enabled compared to the official Intel OROMs.

No of course not because TRIM only improves performance over the long haul, or after very heavy usage and when you approach the maximum space allowed. If your like me and only using it for an OS install then it could take a year before we notice any performance benefits. This is why I would like to figure out how to mod our OROM’s of choice. I already have a habit of putting my computer in logoff state so garbage collection can occur at least once a week but garbage collection is nowhere as nice as TRIM. The OS and ONLY the OS should determine when data needs to be deleted. This is why we need TRIM.

I too only use my SSD RAID0 for my Windows OS and Windows pagefile and don’t transfer big size files and I don’t fill the drives.

Yeah I use it that way also, but I do transfer large files every week between the OS partition and the working partition. After that transfer, it then is transferred off my working partition (the C300 array) to the servers. My last OS partition rose in size to 120gb or so, and I noticed a degradation of performance. This occurred over about a years time though. Right this minute its only 53gb but that will change, lol…

How is this OROM running for you? Have you gone back to 11.2 yet?

Yeah I use it that way also, but I do transfer large files every week between the OS partition and the working partition. After that transfer, it then is transferred off my working partition (the C300 array) to the servers. My last OS partition rose in size to 120gb or so, and I noticed a degradation of performance. This occurred over about a years time though. Right this minute its only 53gb but that will change, lol…
How is this OROM running for you? Have you gone back to 11.2 yet?

The modded OROM seems to be running fine for me.
I haven`t switched back to the official Intel OROMs yet but I might do.
The 11.2 OROM combined with the 11.2 drivers is still the best on my system.
It’s a pity there is no modded 11.2 OROM for TRIM in RAID 0 yet.

Sinders,

I have read so many threads here and in the bios-mod forums over the last 3 weeks that I am now suffering from analysis paralysis, however I have gained a lot of information thanks to you, SkOrPn, zioGTS and Fernando…Thanks to all!

I just finished rebuilding my R3E with water cooling and bought 2 Intel 530 SSD’s so I do have a few questions that I would like to ask before reloading the OS.

1) Will a raid 0 on Intel ports really perform better than 1 drive on the SATA 3 Marvell controller?

2) I downloaded your modded 1601 w/trim bios but I’m not sure what version driver I should use with the updated to v11.6.0.1702 OROM?

3) What about the driver versions for JMicron Option ROM updated to v1.07.28 and the Marvell Option ROM updated to (BIOS) v1.0.0.1033 / (FW) v2.2.0.1125?

4) If I use the 11.2 Intel OROM what is the best driver version to use?

I know some of these questions were answered as I read all the threads over the last few weeks but I thought I would get your opinion/confirmation.

Thanks!

@ cyborg:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Although you have asked sinders, I will give you some "pre-answers":
1) Yes.
2) Although the driver is from another branch, I would take the Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 (for best RAID0 performance).
3) The latest.
4) Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 (best performance with RAID0).

Regards
Fernando

Thanks Fernando.

Yes, I did throw the questions toward Sinders since I downloaded his updated bios without the SLIC updates.

I want to use my Marvell controller for a regular HDD so i’m a little bit leery about using the updated bios with trim?

You guys rock!

Hi cyborg,

If you want to RAID your SSD drives on the Rampage III Extreme board then doing it on the Onboard
Intel ICH10R Controller will be much better and will perform much better than the Onboard Marvell
Controller version our board has.

If you decide to keep your drivers as non RAID, then using the Onboard Marvell Controller for your
SSD drives would be the better choice.

The modded Intel OROM that enables TRIM in RAID0 for our Onboard Intel ICH10R Controller unfortunately
causes issues with the Onboard Marvell Controller and so you might not be able to use the Marvell Controller
if you use my modded BIOS which includes this modded Intel OROM.

Thanks Sinders!

I was thinking a little ass-backwards! I thought the Intel was only 2 SATA ports but its the Marvell that is 2 ports. So now I’m not as concerned since the Intel has 6 ports.

I’m going to go ahead and try your updated bios.

I’m guessing there won’t be any problem if I put a regular HDD (or SSD) on the Intel controller along with the raid 0?

Nope the Intel works great in RAID mode with single drives. You might get a bit more max bandwidth using the marvel with a single Sata III drive but the difference is not much, if even noticeable at all. Since day 1 this Marvell controller has been a disappointment to me, especially where latency is concerned.

I updated my bios with Sinders bios and followed the steps in the read-me. Now I have the black screen with a blinking cursor. And yes I set the Marvell controller to AHCI.

I can’t get back in the bios? What should I do next.

Just unplug the PSU and hold down the Clear CMOS button (on the back of the mobo) for 30 seconds. It will let you into the bios just fine then. Try again but this time "Disable" the Marvel