Random pauses after BIOS update

Hi All,

For a while now I have been running an updated BIOS (v3603 modded with the latest OROMS using UBU) on my trusty ASUS P8Z68-V pro/gen3 with zero problems.

When ASUS recently released a new version (v3703) of said BIOS I used UBU to update it with the same OROMs as I have been using. After installing the new BIOS I soon started to find that the machine would randomly stop dead for a second or two and then it would be ok again. After going back to the old BIOS, the problem went away. This is strange because the only thing that changed was the BIOS version (OROMs and drivers did not change and I made sure that all the BIOS settings were reapplied).

The OROMs I updated are (the reset are default):
Intel RST OROM (v13.5.0.1056, with TRIM mod to match RST drivers),
Intel LAN OROM,
Intel VGA OROM,
jMicron OROM.

I was wondering if anyone else with the same mobo has experienced the same erratic behaviour with the this new BIOS. Perhaps it was something I have done or perhaps should have done. I would be interested to hear how others have faired with this new BIOS.

Many thanks
JohnM

@ JohnM:
What was the reason to update the Intel RAID ROM to v13.5, which has not been designed at all for Intel 6-Series Chipsets? By the way: the exact RAID ROM version is v13.5.0.2164.

It seems possible for me, that it is caused by an initialization problem with the not 100% matching Intel RAID ROM module.
Maybe ASUS has changed something in their new BIOS version, which affects the compatibility problem more than it did in the previous BIOS version.

It should be a user, who is running the Intel SATA Controller in RAID mode.

Hi Fernando,

I installed that ROM on a whim to see if it would work, and since it did I left it there. Also, your OROM page says that it was designed for dev DEV_2822/282a RAID controllers, which matches the hardware id in device manager.

Yes, I agree that there is some sort of incompatibility going on between the new BIOS and one of the updated OROMs. It seems that the RST OROM is the likely culprit and I plan to try the 12.9.0.2006 OROM, but I just thought that I would see if anyone else was experiencing the same as me before I started fiddling about.

I just have corrected this possibly misleading sentence.
DEV_2822/282A are the common DeviceIDs, which are shown by the Device Manager for all Intel SATA RAID Controllers from ICH8R up to the Intel 9-Series Chipsets, but there are big differences between them. The Intel SATA RAID Controllers of the various Intel Chipset Series are different and have a different internal (hidden) DeviceID. That is why an Intel RST RAID ROM or Intel RST RAID Driver may be usable with all DEV_2822/282a compatible SATA RAID systems, but may not work properly.