Reading BIOS from ASUS Rog Flow Z13 with CH341A

Hi everybody,
I hope you are doing good.
Recently, I am trying to modify the BIOS firmware of an ASUS Rog Flow Z13 laptop. Before I do the modification and update, I want to have a backup from the FLASH ROM, so that if anything goes wrong, I can restore it with that backup using CH341A.
So, I disassembled the laptop, but I can’t find the FLASH ROM. On the board, there is one W25Q rom, but it’s of 2M capacity and the firmware size is more than 30M, so obviously it’s not the rom for the firmware.
If there is someone who knows where to find the rom flash, please help me.

Intel: Try fpt

Attach pics

Wait for someone who has done that for that specific model before.

Thanks for your reply. I wanna back up the BIOS firmware image using CH341A before I update it using tools like fpt. If I modified the BIOS wrongly, then it might cause my PC not even to start up and then I can’t use fpt to restore it. That’s why I need backup using CH341.

fpt can dumps, too. If Intel worth a try.

I know it can dump, but the reason why I am looking for the chip is that I wanna restore the bios when the bios is not working due to the modification. In this case, the fpt won’t work.

@james525 If you make a dump using fpt as lfb6 suggested then you will know the total size of the BIOS.

This is helpful if the BIOS is split across two EEPROMs (common in laptops) in the case that you only dump half (from one chip) with the programmer - you will then need to find and dump the second chip for a complete image.

In this case fpt -i would help, too.

1 Like

@chinobino Thank you. I used AMI tool, afuwin64 and I got 16MB firmware image. My question is how I can find the chip on the board. Please help.

Where can I find the fpt-i?

Can you at least provide useful information regarding the system model/identification, when posting such questions in a forum, i really dont know what users are thinking when writing only the brand model name… for a task like this, not even a damm picture of the motherboard or any labels with IDs.

20 Models… just great!!! ROG Z13 Flow - All Models|Laptops For Gaming|ASUS Global

Asus Flow Z13 2023 (GZ301VV) PTM7950 repaste : r/FlowZ13 (reddit.com)

I am sorry for my bad. My laptop model is Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301VV) 2023 model.
Do you want me to upload the picture of the motherboard?

Yes, thanks for the reminder!

@james525 You will need to use the correct version Intel Flash Programming Tool that corresponds to your chipset.

If you know which version of Intel Management Engine Firmware is contained in your current BIOS then you can determine the required version.

If it is version 16.x then you may want to read this thread:

Intel (CS) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools for (CS)ME 16+