Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@superspartan
Since you are running Win11, I recommend to use the generic in-box MS NVMe driver.

2 Likes

In my opinion, for PCIe SSDs, the driver does not matter at all. The Windows driver is no worse than the manufacturer’s driver (Windows 10, 11).

1 Like

The Micron driver is definitely the most performant on my system (5600X, X570, W11 Pro, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB):

1 Like

@virtd
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum and thanks for your contribution!
Enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks! :grinning:

Some additional results, now on CrystalDiskMark 8.0.4 x64:

1 Like

Is there any specific driver for NVMe-Controller DEV_174A?

SSD: SKhynix BC711, 512GB (HFM512GD3GX013N)

I already have tried drivers from: Generic Microsoft, Samsung 3.3.0.2003, Phision 1.5.0.0, Micron 2.1.18.0 and Intel v16.

They all give very similar results. But the Gen. Microsoft, Phision and Micron performs at it’s best.

Micron:

Phision:

Gen. Microsoft:

I think there is no possibility to find anyone better - isn’t it?

@ole258
AFAIK the company “SK hynix” has never published any NVMe driver. So there is no specific driver for the SKhynix NVMe Controller with the DeviceID DEV_174A available.
On the other hand you have already tested 3 different NVMe drivers, which obviously are running fine with the SKhynix NVMe Controller. According to your test results the Micron driver seems to be the best for your system.

@Fernando

:+1:

AFAIK the company “SK hynix” has never published any NVMe driver. So there is no specific driver for the SKhynix NVMe Controller with the DeviceID DEV_174A available.

I am not sure, maybe SKhynik sometimes uses 3rd-party controllers? Not every brand has their own controllers. But on the their webseite they don’t provide much informaion about that SSD, because of OEM product. Google also don’t find any useful information to this model. I think it depends to that rare format 2230.

By the way: DEV_174A is the Hardware-ID from the built-in Controller of the Laptop. This isn’t a SKhynix controller. I don’t know the manufacturer of this controller.

@ole258
The Company with the VendorID VEN_1C5C is SKhynix.

@Fernando

Of course, but I think this value changes, depending on the manufacturer of installed SSD.

@ole258
The manufacturer of the SSD doesn’t matter regarding the choice of the best matching NVMe driver. Only important is the manufacturer and the properties of the NVMe Controller.

I have listed “all” HWIDs associated with PCIe SSDs. If I missed something, let me know.

(Yes, I know, AMD RAID drivers, but I’m still thinking about typing those in.)

@Fernando
Maybe you can put it in the opening post.
“How can I check which driver I need.”

1 Like

@westlake
Thank you for your idea to put some additional information about the importance of the Controller’s HardwareIDs into the start post.
Trying to follow your advice I have now added a new chapter named “How to find matching Storage Drivers?”. Is it ok or should I change/add anything?
By the way - your attached list contains only HardwareIDs of some NVMe Controllers, whereas the HardwareIDs of all SATA AHCI and RAID Controllers and of Samsung’s NVMe Controllers are missing.

@Fernando
The “How to find the right “Storage Drivers”?” description is absolutely fine. I didn’t include all the SSD-related driver IDs in the list for a reason, but I can eventually expand it to include the others.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST-VMD) Version 19.5.0.1034 Beta

@westlake
Thanks for the hint and the link.

@Fernando

Micron NVMe Driver v2.1.19.0 WHQL MSI installer: MediaFire mirror

2 Likes

@Tito

Nice catch!

[email protected]_08.30.rar (83.0 KB)

1 Like

@Tito
Thanks for having found and uploaded the currently latest 64bit Micron NVMe drivers v2.1.19.0 WHQL dated 08/03/2021.
The start post has been updated by me.

@westlake
As already announced last year, I am going to give up the support of the threads, which had been started by me. After the Forum move the outfit and the structure of many start posts have become unacceptable for me and I am not willing to spend weeks of my free time with their reparation (if I should succeed at all).
So it would be a good idea for the Forum members, if you (or someone else) would overtake my job and start a new thread about this topic.

1 Like

AMD 9.3.2.130 (it replaces 9.3.0.00296).

9.3.2.130.rar (326.8 KB)

1 Like