Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Not really.
The Intel SATA3 ports will give you by far the best possible performance.

Ah man! I had the “Marvel 91xx Config” showing in my device manager for about a year or so now and finally I was able to find the driver that the device manager “auto search online” couldn’t find. Thanks Fernando! You’re a life saver man because I’ve searched everywhere for it, even corsairs website and to no avail there wasn’t any drivers for this drive listed. Now I can finally get this Corsair Force GT working with Windows 8.1 pro because of it – completely installed now. :smiley:

I registered specifically to say this; thanks again!

@ MoshiMoshi:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Sorry for bringing up a question that may have already been answered before:
I have a laptop with Intel ICH8M SATA AHCI chipset and I’m looking for the latest “Classical” Intel RST Drivers & Software Set for Windows 7 x64. I’m a bit puzzled because there are 2 threads with recommended Intel RST 11.2.0.1006 modded by Fernando:

1) Universal Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando in Recommended AHCI and RAID Drivers
2) Universal Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v11.2.0.1006 mod and signed by Fernando in Modded Intel AHCI and RAID Drivers

Which one should I use and what is the practical difference between them ? Can I install the first one (“mod by Fernando” variant) under any Windows OS (e.g. 7, 8.1 or 10) the same way as the second one (“mod and signed by Fernando”) ? Will I get Driver Signature errors in Win 7/8.1/10 with the first variant (“mod by Fernando”) ?

I would appreciate a good explanation to this issue, because I can’t find a detailed description of which one is better and why.
Thank you in advance !

@ KrypteX:

Thank you for your post, because after having read it I realized, that I hadn’t yet updated the links to the modded Intel RST drivers v11.2.0.1006 within the start post of this thread.
Meanwhile I have done it and now I can tell you, that you will get exactly the same modded 32/64bit Intel RST drivers v11.2.0.1006 drivers - wherever I have linked them within this Forum.
These modded drivers have been digitally signed by me, but unfortunately I seem to be the only one, who benefits from this procedure. The digital signature is obviously only accepted by my own computer.

These are the consequences for all users (except myself):
1. The installation of these “modded & signed” Intel RST drivers v11.2.0.1006 has to be forced by using the “Have Disk” button (valid for all Windows Operating Systems).
2. Users, who are running Win8/8.1/10, have to disable the “Driver Signature Enforcement” and to reboot, before they can install these modded drivers.

If the modded & signed drivers are accepted only by your computer (the one which you generated the digital signatures on, I guess), then is there any usefulness for releasing these "modded & signed" to the users, instead of the regular "modded" ones that you offered previously in the first post of this thread ?

I mean, by the process of "signing" the modded drivers you obviously have to modify the files even further, in addition to the modding. But if there’s no benefit to it (except for yourself on 1 computer), then is this a good idea ? If this is the situation (please correct me if I’m wrong), then only the modded drivers are enough, no need to digitally sign them, if this is of no use for us users.

I would like to install your modded Intel RST 11.2.0.1006 Drivers + Software Set on ICH8M, under Windows 7 x64. I need the Software component too, not only the Drivers. So how can I install that complete Drivers+Software package if Windows 7 doesn’t allow for regular installation of the package (due to it being incorrectly signed after the mod) ? The "Have Disk" method only forces the drivers, but how can I install the Drivers+Software in one step, without playing around too much ?

Thanks again for your input !

It makes no difference for the users. I think, that it is better to install a driver with a correct signature, which is not accepted for the special target system, than to install a driver with a broken signature.
Furthermore I am still hoping to get very soon a tip how to create .cat files, whose digital signature will be valid for every user.

I am not sure, if it is possible to get the complete modded Drivers & Software Set installed by just running the installer, but you can try it without risking any problem.
Note: Precondition for the proper installation and function of any Intel RST Software is, that .NET Framework 4.5 is running in the background and the OS has been rebooted after its installation.
If you should get a message, that the installation cannot be done, you have to install the driver manually as first step and then - after the required reboot - you can re-run the installer.

I’m not seeing "A great progress" compared to your test here.

Can you explain it?

@Kees030
I agree with you that in fact V 1.2.0.1045 is not a progress because after updated from .1014 to .1045 but without reboot the TRIM was successful (this was the first test i had done)…
This seems the .1014 was always in fact effective even if displayed infos was .1045.

However, after a PC reboot , the .1045 was full effective and I detected that .1045 did not get TRIM ok. (many checks done).
I think have explained somewhere in a post.

So, at the moment i keep .1014 on my PC because I am sure TRIM is ok, and so the connected SSD the MARVELL port is properly TRImed by W7, and hardware reliability is better.

Thanks for your report and the correction of your previous statement regarding the TRIM support.
As a consequence of your test results I am going to customize the start post of this thread and to add the last Marvell AHCI drivers, which do support TRIM according to your recent tests. Unfortunately I cannot find them.
Question: Can you give me the link to the 32/64bit Marvell AHCI/RAID drivers v1.2.0.1014?

@Fernando
On the net we can find lot of links to the 32/64 bit Marvell AHCI/RAID SATA 6G drivers V1.2.0.1014 for XPVistaWin7.

I have an ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE motherboard, and for example on ASUS site you can download this driver.

This is a link which can be used:

Link to get Marvell_V1201014

If I remember well I’ve used 1.2.0.1040 supporting TRIM, however same crap performance. I probably still have it at home. Will have a look tomorrow night if you like. Can I upload it as attachement?

EDIT: need to replace my memory Just tried 1.2.0.1040 and no TRIM.

@ 100PIER:
Thanks for the link.

Thanks for your offer, but I have the 32/64bit Marvell AHCI/RAID drivers v1.2.0.1040 already on my driver storage drive.
If they really should fully support TRIM, I would offer these drivers dated 08/28/2013 instead of the much older v1.2.0.1014 ones dated 09/21/2011 within the start post of this thread.
It would be fine, if you or 100PIER would check, whether the v1.2.0.1040 do support TRIM or not.

@Fernando ,
I have not found v1.2.0.1040 driver on the net.
Today, I have done in depth tests to find the most recent version for Marvell 88SE91xx PCIe SATA 6GB AHCI driver.
For me TRIM is supported for sure with v1.2.0.1014 (19/09/2011) , and with v1.2.0.1035 (24/01/2013).
For me TRIM is NOT supported for sure with v1.2.0.1039 (05/09/2013), and with v1.2.0.1041, and with v1.2.0.1045.

So, at my knowledge, for my motherboard (ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe) (Bios 2104 up to date), the "best" and most recent driver TRIM working I recommend is v1.2.0.1035.
Some benchmarks are attached.
Obviously performance are very poor compared to the same SSD connected on an Intel Z77 port. This a well know fact.
Obviously Microsoft MSAHCI 1.0 2006 driver does support TRIM (I have used it several months, but with less performance than Marvell v1.2.0.1035).

Samsung SSD 840 PRO Seri SCSI Disk Device_256GB_1GB-20150705-1118.png

CDM_Marvell_V1201035.PNG

TRIMCHECK_V1201035.PNG

May be v1.2.0.1045 offers better performance (than older versions) when you have connected 2 HDDs on the P8Z77-V Deluxe Marvell ports.
If you mix HDD and SSD on the 2 available Marvell ports I recommend to install the driver which does support TRIM as explained above.

@ 100PIER:
Thanks for your test results and your clear statement.
The only thing I would like to know is, whether the Marvell AHCI driver v1.2.0.1040 does support TRIM or not.
If not, I will add the v1.2.0.1035 ones as the latest TRIM suporting Marvell AHCI drivers.

I have attached the 64bit variant of this driver version, which is dated 08/28/2013.
It would be fine, if you should be able to test it.

64bit Marvell 91xx-92xx AHCI & RAID drivers v1.2.0.1040.rar (199 KB)

@Fernando ,
Thanks for the 64 bit variant of V1.2.0.1040. I’ll do a test soon.

Here is attached a CDM4 benchmark result for both Intel and Marvell to compare the performances using the same hardware (PC and SSD).
Figures are quite ‘speaking’.

CDM4_MVS91xx_v1.2.0.1035_vs_INTEL_v13.6.2.1001.PNG

Another test I have done is trying to install Marvell v1.2.0.1036.
Unfortunately, a warning message occurs during the installation procedure such as: “… not able to verify the compatibility with your system…” "… instability may occurs…"
So, finally i did not installed it and I classify this .1036 as a not recommended and ‘risky’ driver.

@Fernando
Here is the reply for v1.2.0.1040: TRIM is NOT working for sure. (many tests done).
Here are some tests results: Properties, CDM4, DriverInfo, TRIMcheck.

Marvell_Drivers_1.2.0.1040_properties.PNG

CDM4_MVS91xx_v1.2.0.1040_SSD_vs_HDD.PNG

TRIMCHECK_V1201040.PNG

Samsung SSD 840 PRO Seri SCSI Disk Device_256GB_1GB-20150705-1510.png

So, for me the more "recent" release with TRIM supported is v1.2.0.1035.

Conclusion (for me):
Seems this TRIM functionality worked (and works) fine up to v1.2.0.1035 (included)… and then disappeared for any obscure reason that only Marvell knows.

@ 100PIER:
Thank you very much for having done the tests and for your quick reply.

@ all:

Due to 100PIER’s report I have just added the Marvell AHCI/RAID drivers v1.2.0.1035 WHQL to the start post, because they obviously are the last ones, which definitively do support TRIM.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando,

I found some new AMD AHCI-Driver in the new AMD Catlyst Driverpackage (15.101.1007):

Changelog from AMD (Win 8):
- Fix the CPU high utilization issue when CCC enable

- [CZ] Fix SATA PHY PLL not powered down after S3 resume
- Work around Bastrop hardware issue for slumber exit fail and cause BSOD
- [CZ] Fix SATA PHY PLL not powered down when ZPODD connected

- Work around Carrizo hardware issue for slumber exit fail and cause BSOD
- Fix OS loading screen hang if skip password of hard disk, skip load security locked hard disk

Changelog from AMD (Win 7):
- Fix CZ_Win7: System BSOD:0x9F when run S3/S4
- Work around for slumber exit fail cause BSOD for Bastrop
- Fix the CPU high utilization issue when CCC enable

- Fix OS loading screen hang if skip password of hard disk, skip load security locked hard disk
- Work around Carrizo hardware issue for slumber exit fail and cause BSOD

The Package includes only the 1.3.001.0276 (Win 8) and 1.2.001.0402 (Win 7).
I can send it to you, if you are interested.

greetings huelfi

@ huelfi:
Thank you for the info about the new AMD AHCI drivers.

Thanks for the offer, but I got them already (except the 32bit AHCI driver v1.3.1.276 for Win8 x86).
Nevertheless I need some help:

1. Where is the 32bit variant of the AMD AHCI driver v1.3.1.276 for Win8 x86? I couldn’t find it within the 760 MB sized unzipped package.
  2. What about the performance of these new AMD AHCI drivers? Are they better than the much older ones, which still are linked within the start post of this thread?