Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@Tony2k : If you are not satisfied with the generic MS Win10 in-box NVMe driver, I recommend to install either the latest generic WHQL certified Phison NVMe driver or the latest generic mod+signed Samsung NVMe driver. You can find them both within the second post of this thread.

Just a quick post to say thank you to all involved with this nvme thread, this has saved my bacon a few times.

Can I use AMD StoreMi SATA Drivers v9.4.0.45 WHQL even if I don’t intend to use StoreMI?

@D1stRU3T0R :
Please read the related explanations, which I have put into the first post of this thread.

I have a SK hynix 31 NVMe SSD. With Phison’s generic driver, I’m able to get a reported 33 max limit with MSI with all 33 IRQ’s assigned to it, compared to the standard Microsoft driver which only assigned either 9 (SMT off) or 17 (SMT on). The driver reports a max MSI limit of 120, but I’m not sure how or if that can really be assigned to it.

Hello,

Currently I have dell inspiron 1520 with core 2 duo processor and windows 10 Pro OS with SATA HDD.
Using samsung data migration software i have done the cloning in new SSD and inserted new cloned SSD in the laptop , installed samsung Magician software as well and checked the read write speed.
Everything is fine till here.

Next step is to install Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3, I failed to install this driver. i am getting error message like "Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected. Connect the device and try again"
After some research in the Internet , i decided to modify BIOS
In BIOS I got only 2 options ATA and AHCI. I changed to AHCI, rebooted and tried to install a driver in safe mode, the same problem continued.
Despite changing setting to AHCI , i am unable to install Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver.
Even i tried to install older versions of drivers like 3.0,3.1,3.2. I am getting same error.
I have attached screen shot of device manager, i am not finding NVM express in Storage controller list

Is this a problem with SSD ?
Shall i ask for replacement to Samsung?

Another question.
What happens if i dont install Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver

PLease help

Capture.PNG

@Chetan
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum.
Your connected Samsung 860 EVO SSD uses the SATA (and not the NVMe) data transfer protocol.
That is the simple reason why you are not able to get any NVMe driver installed. Your system doesn’t contain the required NVMe Controller.
If you want to install/use any NVMe driver, you have to connect an NVMe SSD to your Dell system (via M.2 port or via M.2>PCIe adapter).
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando ,

My dell system (Inspiron 1520) is pretty old. I do not think it has M.2 port.
What would be the next solution. Please advice

@Chetan_

As long as you don’t tell us what you want or which problem you want to get solved, I cannot give you any advice.
Before you are going to buy an NVMe SSD (e.g. a Samsung 970 EVO) and additionally an M.2>PCIe adapter, you should check, whether the BIOS of your Dell system supports booting off an NVMe SSD, but this discussion would be completely off-topic.

Hello,

Here is my system:
- AMD Ryzen 5950X
- Asus Crosshair Hero VII X470 with latest BIOS
- 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe
Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate & all updates included

I have slipstreamed canonkong’s drivers with the following changes:
- Canonkong’s Samung NVMe driver replaced with Fernando’s modded driver.

After testing, the fastest driver is Fernando’s Samsung mod, followed by Phison and Microsoft’s generic drivers.
However, CrystalDiskInfo does not recognize my NVMe with Fernando’s modded and Microsoft’s generic drivers.
Phison NVMe driver works with CrystalDiskInfo, but it has an annoying problem: my 980 Pro is seen as a removable drive.

Is there something I could do to fix the CrystalDiskInfo issue ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

@SoulRipper :
Thanks for your report.
To avoid the problem of some third party tools to detect the Samsung NVMe driver, I recommend to install the original Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 WHQL for Win7 x64, but you have to force the installation by using the "Have Disk" button.

@Fernando
Thanks for your reply. I have already tried that, with no success.
Some third party tools can report values correctly, some can’t.

I expressed myself wrongly. The drive IS detected, but reported values are not accurate at all:

AIDA64 does the job, however:

With Phison driver, these tools all work, but the drive is treated like removable hardware.

It’s not a big issue anyway, I was just wondering. Maybe Samsung needs to release an official driver designed for the 980 Pro.

By the way, here are the performances, just in case somebody wants to know:

Best regards

@SoulRipper :

What does that mean? Were you not able to get the original driver properly installed or did the installation not solve the CrystalDiskInfo issue?

I could install the drivers, however it did not solve the CrystalDiskInfo issue.
My old 950 Pro, on the other hand, is perfectly supported both by the modded and original drivers on the same platform.

@Fernando

One of my friends recently bought the ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0 in order to pair it with the AMD Athlon 3000G APU. Interestingly, the motherboard features a SATA controller that is not listed by any of the driver packages mentioned in this thread. The hardware IDs are as follows:

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43B8&SUBSYS_10621B21&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43B8&SUBSYS_10621B21
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43B8&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43B8&CC_0106

Any idea to locate the actual driver package for the DEV_43B8 controller? The mobo does contain another controller, which is nothing but the familiar DEV_7901 one.

@Tito : Thanks for your interesting contribution.
AFAIK there is no AMD AHCI driver available, which supports your posted HardwareIDs.
"PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43BB" are the HardwareIDs of the device "AMD USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller".
ASRock itself offers for the A320M-HDV R4.0 within its "Support" section a driverpack named "Windows 7 USB Patcher v2.0.21 *for AM4", which natively supports the HardwareIDs PCI/VEN_1022&DEV_43BB.

@Fernando

Interesting! But that doesn’t answer why the device is listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers instead of Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Not meant to correct Fernando…
Indeed u posted 43B8 so if ur seeing him under USB its the 43BB
42B8 ACHI (No driver from AMD, standard MS driver)
42BB USB3

@Tito :
MeatWar is right, the DeviceIDs of the AMD SATA AHCI Controller (DEV_43B8) and the AMD USB 3.1 Controller (DEV_43BB) are different. Due to my 77 years old eyes I have read 43B8 as 43BB.
I agree with MeatWar, that there is no AMD AHCI driver available for the DEV_43B8 AMD SATA AHCI Controller. So only the generic Win7-11 in-box MS AHCI driver can be used from scratch. Nevertheless I am pretty sure, that the latest OS specific AMD AHCI driver will work with the DEV_43B8 AMD SATA AHCI Controller, if the related *.INF file has been modded or the installation has been forced (by using the "Have Disk" option).

Hello Fernando. I came across this page and another one of your pages after searching for ways on getting the NVMe drivers for Windows 7 so I can install it to my Surface Pro 7.

I’m not as technically advanced as some of you in the forum but I’m wondering if this forum would be able to assist with my efforts?

So far I’ve attempted to create a bootable USB with Windows 7 install, which worked on a 4/5 year old laptop but not on the Surface Pro 7. When running the setup through Windows it gets as far as the first few pages of the install process before failing at recognising the USB and presents an error message referring to NVMe drivers.
I’ve also attempted to install Windows 7 onto a USB flash drive with WintoUSB, but I’m not sure if it works as my second laptop already has dual boot Windows 7 & 10 and I’m unsure if it’s booting from the already installed partition on the HDD (I believe this is the case because the internal HDD fan fires up compared to when attempting to boot from the USB where there is no internal fan noise).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.